Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooking- does anyone else like to cook their own foods?

Default Cooking- does anyone else like to cook their own foods?

I posted this in mature cause well- I feel cooking is a mature subject. Lately in the past year since March as I finally have my own kitchen I have found myself cooking more than I ever did in the past. For example, last night I cooked up pork chops, mashed potatoes from scratch and green beans.

Sunday night, I made for the first time ever home-made mac and cheese- which has LONG since been a favorite of mine. My mom gave me recipies to try and I have come to the conclusion I LOVE COOKING!

I have also made my own pizzas including stuffed crust ones- using cheese sticks as the filing and I LOVE cooking chicken.

I have lost 20lbs since I started cooking my own foods. No longer do I use TV dinners, canned pasta and the like. I will admit sometimes I use a frozen pizza for times when I am tired or lazy but those days are rare.

SO- my question to ADISCers is this- do you cook your own foods too? And if so, do you feel a sense of pride when you do?

Also, what are your favorite things to cook? I'm really curious about this!

WildThing121675

P.S.: The reason I am a latecomer in cooking is cause I lived for sixteen years in a small studio apartment that had no kitchen! So I feel like- well- I've ARRIVED!!!!

At the moment i don't because i have had to move back into my parents house so my mammy does all the cooking. Which is great because she is a really good cook and she actually enjoys it so i dont feel like a jerk getting her to cook.

But when i was living with my now ex fiance i used to do a bit of the cooking, but it depended on how employed i was at the time. I would make pizza from scratch aswell sometimes pizza pie. I would make sushi, enchiladas, fajitas, roasts, and anything that i could get a recipe for. I cant really cook, i can just follow a recipe.

But it makes such a difference eating a home made meal, we used to rely heavilly on processed and frozen food and since moving home, i may not have lost to much weight but i am feeling a lot healthier

CrinklySiren

I cook practically every day now that I live on my own, I feel more a sense of pride when I cook for my friends and they like it.

My favorite things to cook are White Corn Risotto, Orange Glazed Pork Tenderloin, Baked Breaded Chicken (and this one is a really big favorite of mine because I like to experiment with different breadings, I have this recipe I called Chester's Angry Cock, it might sound vulgar but its a play on words because I use spicy hot cheetos to bread the chicken, then I bake it and serve it with a side of hot dipping sauce, and cock because its a chicken lol, it might not be a rooster but i like to play around :P)

When making risotto is also a fun experience because risotto is a lot like pasta in the sense that you can add absolutely anything to it ; Mushrooms, corn, fish, arugula, shrimp, spinach etc. There is even a recipe for red wine risotto where in the cooking process instead of adding white wine (which is the customary way of making risotto) you add red wine and it gives it a nice purple color. Theres another recipe where at the end you add just a spoonful of squid ink and it turns the risotto a very velvety black. I'm not a fan of squid ink but as far as aesthetics, it looks very cool, and if you're into squid ink then its a plus for you.

Most of the time I just like to experiment with flavors and outrageous combinations that you don't normally mix together. For example I like to get chicken or pork and marinade them for a day or two in lemon juice or red wine vinegar, then I put in on a hot skillet and pour a juice of some kind on it or even an alcohol with a high sugar content like bourbon or rum and i cover the pan. I let it sit as the liquid gets reduced and becomes like a sauce/glaze and it adds so much moisture and flavor to the chicken. If you plan on doing this, watch out because depending on the alcohol, the pan could catch on fire. This is perfectly normal, but just be sure to expect it if you're using things like Bourbon or Cognac(very flammable).

A little back-story: I went to Culinary school for 2 1/2 years and I learned that I didn't like the business of owning a restaurant or being a chef, its too much yelling its too much time off your hands and it wasn't even a passion of mine so much so that I wanted to give up everything in my life to dedicate myself to opening a restaurant, however I loved cooking for friends and family (when my laziness allows lol)

Whoops :P sorry for the long response >_> lol didnt expect to write this much.

I love cooking too.
    Asian stirfrys, glazed Gammon and roast chicken.
    I recently made my own biltong aka beef jerky.
    Gordon Ramsey is my favourite chef, and he influences my cooking style.

I don't really cook, per se, but I make simple things like rice and veggies, or I bake chicken.

A lot of the recipes I see have way too much shit that I don't keep around at all or can't afford.

CrinklySiren

Quote Originally Posted by justhere View Post
    I don't really cook, per se, but I make simple things like rice and veggies, or I bake chicken.

A lot of the recipes I see have way too much shit that I don't keep around at all or can't afford.
    There are many cool recipes on the campbells soup website, I mean it uses campbell soup products but those are usually not very expensive and the recipes are quite tasty :P. Where I live they usually have campbell's soup cans buy 5 cans for 6$

Quote Originally Posted by 1ObsoleteBaby View Post
    There are many cool recipes on the campbells soup website, I mean it uses campbell soup products but those are usually not very expensive and the recipes are quite tasty :P. Where I live they usually have campbell's soup cans buy 5 cans for 6$
    I cut my rice with Campbell's Soup rather often, but I felt like that didn't have any place in a cooking topic. =P $1.50/can here, depending on the price of gas.

does ramen noodles count? I can't cook worth beans, I can make simple things like cake and cookies, the most important food groups of course. But when it comes to meats and such, I'm lost.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    P.S.: The reason I am a latecomer in cooking is cause I lived for sixteen years in a small studio apartment that had no kitchen! So I feel like- well- I've ARRIVED!!!!
    Impossible!!! How can you survive without a kitchen?! For sixteen years?! What were you eating till then?! Did you have some kind of camping stove? Or do you mean you just had a "kitchen area" in a corner of the studio?

I hate cooking so I try to avoid it as much as possible! I generally cook a mixture of vegetables and have them with a "main dish": something like fish, or steak or pasta (fresh -- I didn't know you could get tinned pasta! Bleurgh!) with a tomato sauce (chopped tomatoes, garlic, balsamic vinegar, seasoning)... but otherwise the "main dish" tends to be 100% pre-prepared (mousakka, fish pie, king prawn masala, pasta bake, etc.)...

So I don't really "do" proper cooking. All I know how to do is cook vegetables, follow instructions for oven cooking, and add flavourings (garlic, chilli, black pepper, etc.).

I'm sooooo jealous of people who like cooking. Eating is great, but cooking is just fiddly anticipatory torture!

Depression sometimes makes it hard to get my head round cooking multiple ingredients so they're ready at the same time... So sometimes I end up buying pre-prepared vegetable pots (containing potatoes, cabbage, peas, broccoli, carrots) and just whack them in the microwave and a pre-prepared dish in the oven! Very lazy! Very expensive... but otherwise I'd never eat!

I usually try and cook at home, but the occasion meal out is fun. Doing so was sort of natural for me, having grown up in a house where eating in was the standard thing.

Personally, my favorite part of cooking is getting to "Sample" everything