Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some help on driving laws and loopholes in them.

Question Some help on driving laws and loopholes in them.

I kind of need some help on some stuff I plan to get but i'm trying to avoid the part of needing a license(due to money and time reasons)

I need you guys to help me out here

I plan next month because the cops all ready warned me twice about my moped and I told them that there is no way I can get a license for it(I didnt know you needed one for something that goes 30MPH untill I got pull over last year due to my tail light being out)...Not that I don't want but im in this situation where a license is not possible so I have been trying to find loopholes in driving laws so I would not need to get a license and Im not sure but I think today....

I found one and just need some help if I finally get my mom and me some transportation that we can finally efford with our income....We have been without a car or anything reasonable for 7 years and we just don't have the money anymore because im 18 now so even my mom paying one of her friends 20 bucks a time to take us to town to get food or pay the bills is getting expensive so ill explane what I mean...

I found this thing on amazon that only goes at max,20MPH and its a gas powered shooter: Amazon.com: Go-Ped GSR Sport Gas Powered City Scooter (Gloss Black): Sports & Outdoors

Im reading in the CA DMV book that: “motorized bicycle” is also defined as a vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. (CVC §406(b)).

If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC §406(b), you:

– Must be 16 years of age or older.
    – Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
    – Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (CVC §12804.9). "

And that says that if a motorized bicycle goes at max, 20MPH, then you would not need a license and all that other expensive crap that people with money can get all the time...So I wonder since the thing I want to get goes at max 20MPH and its also 29cc...Would I and my mom need a license and everything else to get it because of the 20MPH loophole...

And don't say I'm a bad driver...I passed drivers ed twice!(the second time because I didn't want to kill people on accident and to make sure my skills were up to date)

Thanks for the advice if you can help...My mom and me are really poor and cars are just so much to pay for so something like that gas powered shooter for her and me would be nice...

I'm confused, Isn't a drivers license cheaper than a $500 scooter, if you already have a moped? Where do you live, what kind of community, have you considered a used golf cart? idk if a golf cart needs a license in your state but I don't think so in most states, but they cannot be used on highways or other major road types depending on the state.

Default Some help on driving laws and loopholes in them.

Gas powered and no pedals. I'd say what you found on Amazon would definitively not count as an electric bicycle and as such would require a license.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecars View Post
    I'm confused, Isn't a drivers license cheaper than a $500 scooter, if you already have a moped? Where do you live, what kind of community, have you considered a used golf cart? idk if a golf cart needs a license in your state but I don't think so in most states, but they cannot be used on highways or other major road types depending on the state.
    Cheaper yes, but more of a big hassle and takes months to do everything...But if you add the two sides up...They both will come to the same prices....I found that if you buy a moped that's gas powered and 30MPH...The cost for a license,insurance and such cost about the same as the moped it self...Which is really dumb...

Look...If I had the money to burn,yea I would get all those things but...I'm using my financial aid so my mom and me can have some reasonable transportation...

Umm,Im pretty sure the you need a license for golf carts...

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Gas powered and no pedals. I'd say what you found on Amazon would definitively not count as an electric bicycle and as such would require a license.
    I know i know @Near,I read that part...I would get a electric bicycle but because I live deep in the mountains and such the nearest city is over 20 miles away a electric would run out of juice before I even get half way and the battery usually take around 7-12 hours to recharge and I usually don't stay in town for more then 2 or 3 hours...

But how? Would anything driven with a motor that goes under 20MPH not need a license?

I know this sound like excuses but really...My mom and me like to go slow and easy and don't like paying the government for stupid things.

I don't know about in the US...but in Canada if it's gas powered...it doesn't matter if it has pedals or not...it's got to be registered & the operator needs a valid license & insurance. Electric scooters do not need to be registered & do not need a license or insurance. (I'm not sure if this is everywhere in Canada or just in Nova Scotia tho').

Quote Originally Posted by ayanna View Post
    I don't know about in the US...but in Canada if it's gas powered...it doesn't matter if it has pedals or not...it's got to be registered & the operator needs a valid license & insurance. Electric scooters do not need to be registered & do not need a license or insurance. (I'm not sure if this is everywhere in Canada or just in Nova Scotia tho').
    Yea,i know what you mean...I just don't get it and now I understand why poor people complain a lot about them not able to efford transporation and when they can...They have to go through alot so they can even be legal which is really weird because isn't transportation a basic need? If it a basic need,why does the US government make it so hard for people of low income or people who live in the boonies to get it meet?...

I guess ill just go home right now and ask DMV and see if I can get away with this....

for the cost of that electric bike couldn't you just take the motocycle test since your 18 there no provisional period and insurance on a moped shouldn't be very expensive

and a side not my brother has the same go-ped and it will bring more police attention than a vespa type scooter and ive riden it you dont want to try to go 20 miles on it
    a solution may be this 50cc Sunny Gas Motor Scooters FREE Windshield and FREE Trunk my neighbor buys them in bulk and resells them on CL so a cheap scooters thats legal will not stir attention even if you got something like this and decided to do without the licence as long as you go the speed limit and not above or below it cops wont bother you in my city even the guys with electric bicycles get hassled about it so too slow is a surefire way to get there attention

the golf carts depend on your location my city allows them in the slow lane and sidewalks some do and some dont its a regional thing

I didn't know that you needed a license for mopeds.... Not in nc, anyway.
    Well, it says that you're 18. As long as you have sufficient identification (birth certificate & ssn card) you should be able to go up there, take the tests, and go home. It took me less than 2 hours in total, and it cost me $28.

And you can put that $500 away towards a car.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaChar View Post
    I know this sound like excuses but really...My mom and me like to go slow and easy and don't like paying the government for stupid things.
    I don't like giving up 1/3 of my wages to the gov't.
    You're going to have to get a license sooner or later, and it might as well be sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by pampersonly View Post
    for the cost of that electric bike couldn't you just take the motocycle test since your 18 there no provisional period and insurance on a moped shouldn't be very expensive

and a side not my brother has the same go-ped and it will bring more police attention than a vespa type scooter and ive riden it you dont want to try to go 20 miles on it
    a solution may be this 50cc Sunny Gas Motor Scooters FREE Windshield and FREE Trunk my neighbor buys them in bulk and resells them on CL so a cheap scooters thats legal will not stir attention even if you got something like this and decided to do without the licence as long as you go the speed limit and not above or below it cops wont bother you in my city even the guys with electric bicycles get hassled about it so too slow is a surefire way to get there attention

the golf carts depend on your location my city allows them in the slow lane and sidewalks some do and some dont its a regional thing
    That the part im trying to say...Getting a M1 or M2 class license requires you to go through this 6 month training motorcycle course which just to drive moped legally sound kind of weird...and the link you gave me,I would not be able to use a C class because they changes some laws this year where I have to have a M1 or M2 to drive one of those..

But I will think about tho

I had other ideas like I could just get a cheap 50cc trike scooter and get away with just getting a class C license(anything with a motor and three wheels you can drive with just a C class license) but the insurance could be a problem since I really don't have a stable income right now(my only source of income is my finical aid which im using next month to get the new form of transportation and my budget on it 500-700 US bucks.)
    Now you got me thinking about getting a job near my place...Hmmm maybe the cement factoroy a road away from my house is highering right now or maybe a job of restocking food at the store right now...

Thanks for letting me know that I have power because im 18.

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    I didn't know that you needed a license for mopeds.... Not in nc, anyway.
    Well, it says that you're 18. As long as you have sufficient identification (birth certificate & ssn card) you should be able to go up there, take the tests, and go home. It took me less than 2 hours in total, and it cost me $28.

And you can put that $500 away towards a car.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't like giving up 1/3 of my wages to the gov't.
    You're going to have to get a license sooner or later, and it might as well be sooner.
    I know I will have to at some point on getting a license...and yea,You need a M1 or M2 license if the moped goes faster then 20MPH up to a max of 30 MPH in CA.

I would just get a car but they are the reason we got rid of ours like insurance being too much and my mom unable to drive a car anymore due to her bad eyesite and if I can get a stable job soon,I would get somthing like this http://insideevs.com/toyota-to-build...-japan/...Well not actually that,I see them around sometimes and they are gas powered...I cant remember the name of it...Its like modern version of a Fiat but more compact and usually get around 50-60MPG and they are super cheap like new price is like 9-10 grand new

Like I said,I have to think about a few things and Ill be calling DMV tomorrow on a few things...Right now in my situation,im trying to evoide getting a licence at all...I have a ID card from them so that means i'm thinking on getting one but right now...and a electric moped is out of the question because they usually go 5-10 or 15 miles with all the hills and mountains around my place(mountain gate looks like something from a Super Mario Bros. video game)

*sighs*I don't know really...I just have a transportation budget of 500-700 and a gas budget of 10-15 bucks a month so I can get to college and take my mom to town so we can get the bills payed and stop nagging my friends to take up to town so we can get food...and I can only get this thing next month because of my finical aid from college(I dont need to buy books for the spring classes untill next year)
    Last edited by MegaChar; 17-Oct-2012 at 01:17.

Default Some help on driving laws and loopholes in them.

You do not need a license in nc. Lots of middle schoolers ride them to school daily. An I think you need to be at least 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk