Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A disturbing development

Default A disturbing development

I've been totally bladder-incontinent for about six months but yesterday I had an incidence of bowel incontinence too. I was at home, and felt the need to go but I thought I had more time so I didn't rush. A few minutes later I realised it wasn't going to wait so I dashed upstairs but I was too late. Fortunately I'm padded 24/7 and even more fortunately I was at home so I was able to change straight away but I do not like this one little bit. I really hope it's not a sign of my future.

I've had that happen to me also. I've felt it coming on but have been able to get my diaper down and on the potty. Also have had a few dribbles of poo into

my diaper before i've sat down. I have to watch it closely if it's my 3rd time in the morning. It's usally a wet one when it happens.

that happens to me probably once or twice a week. never anything for it but to change quickly and try and forget it. Never fun.

Default Re: A disturbing development

Its all the same muscles so if you atrophy them to be bladder incontinent, the bowel won't be far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyShrek View Post
    Its all the same muscles so if you atrophy them to be bladder incontinent, the bowel won't be far behind.
    Um, no it's not. Muscles for the bladder and bowel are separate and atrophy of one wouldn't affect the other. The only correlation is that the nerves for them come from the same part of the spinal cord, so if it's nerve damage its more likely to affect both. Basic anatomy.

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    Um, no it's not. Muscles for the bladder and bowel are separate and atrophy of one wouldn't affect the other. The only correlation is that the nerves for them come from the same part of the spinal cord, so if it's nerve damage its more likely to affect both. Basic anatomy.
    I was actually thinking of pelvic floor dysfunction, which can cause both urinary and fecal incontinence. While it is more common in women, it can also affect men.

I do not consider myself in continent but I do have occasional continence issues. I find that when I spend a lot of time diapered I pretty much wet constantly. There have been a couple dozen times, over maybe 7 years, where I have woken up messing or realize when it is too late that I am about to mess. When I am not in diapers I do not have accidents, at least it is extremely rare, but there are easily a few times a year that I find myself fighting with all my energy to prevent myself from having that accident in my underwear.

I really feel two things happen more often when we are diapered for need. First, if a person has basically always been in diapers but is otherwise bowel continent there is that early childhood training that basically was to release when the need became apparent. If one were it be lazy about taking care of that specific need I would imagine this might possibly happen in a diaper on auto pilot. I have seen some evidence that suggests this happens I a degree but then it also seems I depend on a willingness and acceptance of messing in ones diapers. Second, for those times that the need comes on suddenly and often intensely there is less motivation to fight the reality of what might happen. This may also be highly related to relaxation and acceptance levels.

Of course we should not overlook the actual cause of incontinence in specific cases.

For me, my near misses couple easily be accidents and if I were not so good at fighting it I fear I would probably be bowel incontinent. I am not diagnosed but I have had lifelong symptoms of IBS. There are sometimes connections to bladder incontinence, in up my case my childhood issues were likely tied.

If your issue is neurological I would say it warrants looking into the mechanism behind the damage, such as a spinal cord injury that has worsened. Also if there is a disease process, such as MS, it is possible to have intermittent bowel incontinence while having intermittent or persistent bladder incontinence.

So basically I am saying there are a lot of factors that need to be considered that we just do not know. If you are concerned it is best to talk to your doctor.

I'm already talking to my doctors about it; I'm seeing my urologist this week, and next week I have an MRI scan in which they'll be looking for signs of MS, amongst other things. Over the past couple of years, on and off, I've had some other classic MS symptoms (albeit in a very mild way).

Default Re: A disturbing development

Well, that's a horse of a different color.

Sorry to hear that you have been having symptoms of MS. Have you had any vision problems? Is there anyone else in your family with MS?

I wish you best of luck in your tests.

No-one in my family with it, and yes I've been having some (minor) vision problems as well as muscle weakness, cramps and numbness in my hands & feet. If I am doing a lot of walking I usually need a stick. A week ago I had an episode where all the muscles in my chest and upper abdomen were cramping up - that's an MS classic. It only lasted a few minutes though.