Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First year hunting

Deer know anything about trapping? this will be my first year too.

Make sure you hit your mark and put the deer down clean. If you are using a gun or bow hit behind and just below the shoulder blade. Remember the goal is to take the life of the animal in as humane a way as possible, nothing is worse than having to watch an animal squirm and suffer. As for trapping I have zero experience, I just use like to hunt with rifles and bows. I love to hunt, and I do it every year.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineBilly View Post
    Anyone got tips or pointers?
    If you're hunting, wear orange to avoid getting shot! Deer can't see orange... also, make sure you are 100% positive with your target id. Next, get up before dawn. Walk to the tops, quietly! Then sit there and glass as the sun comes up, and the deer come out to feed. Once you have spotted your target, move closer, keeping it upwind. Try to close to under 300 yards if possible. Then take your time. Have a practice pull of the trigger with the safety on; you may be surprised how much you flinch. Then, slowly squeeeeze the trigger. Don't pull it; it will upset your aim.

Having shot your deer, go gut it and carry it out, or else remove all the meat and the head if it's a decent trophy stag. Please don't just take the head, it's incredibly wasteful and reflects badly on all hunters. Plus you waste about $1000 of shop-bought venison. :P In NZD anyway.

When bush hunting, any time of the day will do. You need to be vigilant and constantly on the lookout for sign, and for deer. Sign can be hoofprints, fur, faecal matter, broken branches, chewed leaves, or rubbed trees (Stags will rub trees with their antlers to remove velvet). Deer will pop up instantly in the bush, and while you need to be able to take the shot quickly, this is not an excuse for not being 100% target positive. You must never, ever shoot at something that looks vaguely deerish through a bush.

Once you've shot your deer, same as above.

If you're hunting in the roar, try getting an old piece of PVC pipe and practicing your roaring. It works better than many electronic roarers, and is cheap and unbreakable. Get up before dawn again, and wait for the stags to start roaring. Then, sneak up and bag 'em! Dad has come across stags fighting at dawn before whilst hunting.

As Pacified said, hunt cleanly and aim to hit by the shoulderblade. An ideal shot will break both front legs, and puncture both lungs and the heart. It should also pass close enough to central nervous complexes to completely stun the animal, so it feels no pain. Ideally, a gun of calibre .222 or higher should be used. I shoot with a .308 Win. action Tikka.

Good luck, and happy hunting! Hope you get something. The thrill of your first deer is the best ever! When I shot mine, I thought it was a hind. Turned out to be a stag. I now have the antlers in my room. A pretty shoddy set however. Have fun, and be safe.

Kiwidl.

Default Re: First year hunting

You should find out if you can get some practice by going snipe hunting first.

Default Re: First year hunting

Deer have horrible eye sight. Standing still, I've watched doe walk up to me as close as 20 ft. and not know I was there. However their sense of smell is excellent. Keep the wind in mind when you hunt. If they can smell you they're not going to come your way. Also, their hearing is excellent. Really, be quiet.

Make sure you're read all the rules for your state when it comes to shooting a legal deer. If there are antler point requirements, make sure the deer you are about to shoot meets the requirements.

Good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Don't shoot the deer in the intestines. It ruins the meat.

Also when you buy a gun to go hunting with, make sure it is a legal gun to hunt with. I bought a high-powered rifle and my area requires a shotgun to shoot deer. Had fun shooting the rifle at the range, but now I get to buy another gun. I will be using the rifle at the range for a while until I get good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by WriteAndLeft View Post
    Don't shoot the deer in the intestines. It ruins the meat.

Also when you buy a gun to go hunting with, make sure it is a legal gun to hunt with. I bought a high-powered rifle and my area requires a shotgun to shoot deer. Had fun shooting the rifle at the range, but now I get to buy another gun. I will be using the rifle at the range for a while until I get good at it.
    Your area requires a SHOTGUN to shoot deer? That strikes me as being very odd. I would never shoot a deer with a shotgun.