Thread: Nappies/Diapers on the NHS

Default Nappies/Diapers on the NHS

Currently I get large pads from the NHS for my incontinence. They work fine most of the time, but sometimes leak. Previously when I paid for my own protection I used Adult Nappies that never leaked.I was wondering If anyone had managed to get the NHS to supply them with nappies rather than pads. If so, what types were on offer and what did you need to do to persuade them?

I've heard you can appeal their decision on what products you get, if they don't meet your needs, and just recently people were talking about it in this thread:
    Last edited by EllieFops; 16-Oct-2012 at 07:18. Reason: lol "if they doesn't"

My PCT provides Molicare pads (which are pretty good anyway), they only supply all-in-ones if you're also fecal-incontinent or immobile. The first batch of pads were too small. I just phoned up the clinic yesterday and asked for the highest-absorbency size and they're sending me a month's-worth of those next week. I have decided not to press for all-in-ones; I prefer pads in the daytime because I also self-catheter and pads are much easier for that. I'll continue to buy my own all-in-ones for at night though, and for days when I'm not using the cath.

Well that was quick. The replacement pads arrived today. They're still not the size I was hoping for (Maxi rather than super-plus) but I think they'll be fine for daytime use. Haven't started using them yet.

If you speak to your continence advisor you can ask for them to change from pads to nappies.

You won't be given an option regarding what brand you are given but you should be able to request the absorbency.

Most PCT's have moved over to Tena and they usually provide 'plus' or 'super'. It is rare for them to provide the more expensive 'maxi' absorbency nappies unless you have a specific requirement for them.

For men at least, nappies work far better than pads as they are held in place more securely. The other option is a condom catheter if your skin is able to cope with it without breaking down.

Hope this helps,

I prefer pads for the daytime as I also self-catheter (intermittent) and its far easier to do that without messing with tapes every time. My PCT uses Molicare which seem to be pretty decent. Now I've been using these Moli pads for a couple of weeks they're actually just about right. I still buy my own nappies for night time and for evenings when I go to the pub and need the extra capacity. But now I only need to buy a pack or two a month, instead of four or five.

An external cath would be nice but as I'm a pre-op female-to-male transsexual I still have female "plumbing" so I've nothing to stick it on to!

It doesn't sound like there's a lot of choice for quality. I still have all of this to look forward to, my restricted growth means I'm still working my way through the larger sizes of kids nappies. I think mum gets those from the NHS though.

So for all the stuff the government say on tv about choice we don't get to choose the best product for something as vital as nappies?

Quote Originally Posted by NetballQueen View Post
    So for all the stuff the government say on tv about choice we don't get to choose the best product for something as vital as nappies?
    Nope. You don't get any choice at all. But then, just about everything else the government says is a lie too, so it's not a surprise really. Cameron intends to whittle down the NHS to nothing anyway; by the time you're my age there will be no such thing as free pads and you'll have to buy them all.

This is a direct quote fro the National NHS website. Each of us will have to look at the eligibility criteria for their local trust and it would be sensible to do so now before the expected complications arising from the new GP commissioning process set in next April. Although trusts vary about what can be supplied and what manufacturer to use there has (at least until now) been an overall requirement that what is provided should be fit for purpose and meet the patients needs.

The Quote:

"Can you get incontinence products on the NHS?

What’s available on the NHS varies throughout the country. Each primary care trust (PCT) has its own contract to supply incontinence products and its own eligibility criteria. To find out if you can get your incontinence pads, products and appliances for free, ask your local district nurse (get details at your GP surgery) for an assessment. They can advise you on whether you're eligible. If you are, they can arrange for a regular supply of pads to be delivered to you, if your local service provides home delivery.
    You should be supplied with as many pads and other continence supplies as you need. If this doesn't happen or you have any concerns, tell your healthcare professionals. If you prefer, seek advice from your local Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), which can be contacted through your local PCT. "

The best advice if not satisfied is to ask for your PCT's criteria and also for the contact point for an appeal against any decision you feel is unfair. In the past the Bladder and Bowel foundation Bladder and Bowel Foundation and 0800 011 4623 has been very good about assisting with problems over the supply of incontinence products.

Hope this helps.