Thread: Any Fans of "The Wire"?

Default Any Fans of "The Wire"?

Would anyone else consider "The Wire" to be one of their favorite television series, or perhaps the greatest of all time? If so how did you get into the show and what keeps you watching. Do you have a favorite season or character? It's one of my faves but I don't know many other people who enjoy it, so I always like to hear what others have to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wsherwood View Post
    Would anyone else consider "The Wire" to be one of their favorite television series, or perhaps the greatest of all time? If so how did you get into the show and what keeps you watching. Do you have a favorite season or character? It's one of my faves but I don't know many other people who enjoy it, so I always like to hear what others have to say about it.
    My parents loved that show (like, buy a box set for every family friend obsessed). To be honest pretty much anything HBO is amazing.

Fantastic series! It may not quite be my favorite but I think it's the best I have watched. I recently purchased the whole series on DVD and I've been meaning to go back and watch it again. So many good characters and intense situations. Hard to pick just one for a favorite. I think I'd rate Bubbles, Stringer Bell, and Omar as vying for the top spots.

CaliforniaBear

Definitely top 3 material. i own the boxset, but i hate stringer bell with a passion. hate

I rarely watch series, but this one was definately worth it. Favourite character? Nah. Not even a favourite season. It just works as a whole.

Default Any Fans of "The Wire"?

I watched the series on DVD rental and HBO Go after hearing it referred to often. I agree with the acclaim. It is soooo good. It feels so real. And Baltimore is not far from me. I loved the different focus for each season on how each institution is involved in the drug trade in the community. Season 3 showing the heartbreaking impact on the kids growing up in the neighborhood and how random it seems in which kids escape and which become part of the problem. It was the most powerful and emotional for me.

Season themes:
    1. Introduces the cops and drug community
    2. The docks, showing how the drugs get there
    3. The kids
    4. Politicians
    5. Newspaper

Season 5 was probably the weakest because I think the creator had a real axe to grind there and went a bit overboard. But still I believe what I saw with the papers care more about Pulitzers than the facts. And that they're mainly tools for politicians to float things to the public "anonymously".

I guess what made it so real, besides the great acting and casting, is that hardly anyone was a stereotype. The main characters were surprising in their unique qualities and actions that they took.

Probably the funniest scene for me is Stringer Bell following Robert's Rules of Order for a drug organization meeting.

And the most bizarre, unique idea was that of "Hamsterdam". lol