Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Crash?

Default Car Crash?

So earlier today I was going to pick my mum up from work when I was involved in a car crash which seems to have left me really shaken all I want to do is cry.

The accident was completely my fault which is the thing which has upset me the most. I drive with hand controls so don't use the floor pedals I was edging out of a junction when I saw a motorbike coming in the other direction but had caught my foot under my floor brake so couldn't use my hand controls to slow the car down which has led me to roll out in front of him and he has gone straight in to my front drivers side.

I just wanted to ask is it normal to feel like this after such an incident or am I over reacting to what my friends seem to think is just a small accident were nobody was seriously hurt?

Default Car Crash?

It is very normal. That is how a lot of people feel after they get in an accident that is their fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randee

Wow, that sucks. At least nobody was hurt. Just tske it easy. I can't really relate, but I'm sure it's normal to feel a bit shaken.

Yes, normal.

Thank God for no serious injuries.

Best thing you can do is review your actions and decide what you can do different next time. You can't fix yesterday, but you can fix tomorrow. My first thought: Don't "edge out" into intersections. When I see someone doing that, I hit the horn (or scream "heads up" if I'm on my bicycle) to make sure they know I'm there. Keep the wheels stopped until you're ready to commit. Wheels rolling suggests to other traffic that you're coming out and may not be paying attention.

Hi joey

I would say it is completely normal to feel how you feel because you dont want to be involved in incidents like this. I also drive with hand controls and i understand what your saying i was wondering if it may be better to have a pedal gaurd covering the pedals to prevent it happening i have one over my accelerator pedal just incase. My pedal guard is removable so someone else can drive it if they need to

CrinklySiren

Yeah its normal. The first time someone crashed into me I was jittery, as if someone had injected me with a 20 bottles of 5 hour energy straight into the blood stream. I was stopped at a red light facing north and the guy was turning heading south from the east lane, and i guess he mustve not seen me and hit me SMACK in the tip of the car. It wasnt that hard a hit but it was enough to send me into a shocking freeze, then the rest of the day i was jumpy like someone with low blood sugar >_< I cant imagine how much worse it must be for you though, don't worry, it'll pass. Be glad that everyone was ok, because if not, then THAT would be a real big problem :S not just emotionally.

Regardless of what happened, you also just had a huge adrenaline rush. I watched a program once were they injected a MMA fighter with adrenaline to see if it would impact his punching power. The guy ended up crying and shaking after throwing the punch. Doesn't matter how tough you are. When your body chemistry is out of wack, your gonna react.

Sorry to hear about the crash. I hope you don't get too down on yourself. If you still feel really bothered by it in the coming weeks, it could be worth getting a little therapy. Traumatizing experiences like that are sometimes harder to deal with than we tell ourselves.

It's great to hear that no one was seriously hurt. Still, this was a very traumatic experience for you! It may take quite a bit of time for you to calm down inside, but ultimately it should go away. If months pass and you are still having issues, I would see a therapist about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cp88 View Post
    Hi joey

I would say it is completely normal to feel how you feel because you dont want to be involved in incidents like this. I also drive with hand controls and i understand what your saying i was wondering if it may be better to have a pedal gaurd covering the pedals to prevent it happening i have one over my accelerator pedal just incase. My pedal guard is removable so someone else can drive it if they need to
    It's a great suggestion and something I've been meaning to do for a while but never got round to it, I'm defiantly going to get one now so it won't happen again.

Thanks for all the comments, this morning I woke up feeling a lot better and after speaking to the motorcyclist on the phone this afternoon and him making a joke about it I'm feeling even better. So I must have just been in shock still I'm sure I'll be back to my normal self in the next week.

Bad surprises suck. When they happen, our surprised, defenseless brains seem to welcome in every detail of the situation and then get stuck in loop mode for days! I've been the cause of a couple of minor fender-benders, and the accompanying sense of lameness persisted for quite a while. In one case, the song that was playing on my radio at the time of the accident ended up stuck in my head for weeks. Talk about annoying! I suppose it was my just reward, though.

The good thing about accidents is that things you might have called bad before are suddenly and temporarily ok. I was in another accident (not my fault) in which my car was a total loss. I went to the junk yard a few days later to get my stuff out of it, but forgot to bring a bag in with me. The junk yard attendant was kind enough to provide me with a black plastic garbage sack, which I quickly filled with my CD collection and other odds and ends. I brought the bag home, set it in my (now empty) car port, and my wife immediately placed it in the garbage bin. Which was collected the following day! When I discovered what had happened, she was horrified. I couldn't stop laughing.

Of course, ten years later, I'll still catch myself looking for a CD and then I'll remember. D'oh!

Anyway, take care! I'm glad to hear that the world is a little less gray today.