Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Thread: Driving and Cellphones

  1. #1
    CrinklySiren

    Default Driving and Cellphones

    For anyone not interested in reading all this, i boldedthe main points/questions.

    If there is anyone in this world that hates generalizations, its me. I hate it that people have determined that NO ONE in this vastly enormous and multi-talented world can possibly use the phone and drive at the same time. I think that it is bullshit in its most basic form, because I very well CAN drive and talk at the same time, its not difficult and just takes prioritizing what is more important, the conversation or your life... just like I can walk and talk I can drive and talk and not get into a horrific idiotic accident, as I am sure a lot of other people both on and off this site can also do.

    Now the question is, do you think its right for the government of the state to ban cellphone use while driving for non-commercial vehicles?

    I am sick and tired of almost getting run over, crashed into, cut off, or driving intensely defensively to avoid incredibly aggressive drivers, all due to cellphone usage... dont even get me started on texting.

    These people constantly slow down, crash, cause traffic, or just dont move because they are THAT distracted... now comes the second question of discussion.

    Although these people arent a danger to me because I pay very close attention on the road and I drive VERY defensively, I am willing to give up my privilege of being able to talk on the phone in my car to STOP these morons from making my driving experience into a nightmare.

    Now although I am aware that its not SO bad in every state as bad as it is in Miami or NY or what not, but my second question is for those who are able to multitask on a motor-skill level:

    Would you give up your ability to do that which others cant, to avoid either driving with irresponsible creatures or to prevent said subjects from crashing into others and causing problems?

    I use to put up a fight when confronted with this situation, but from everything I've experienced, I am more than willing to give up using my cellphone if it means that these time-wasting, accident causing people will stop ruining the driving experience >_<

  2. #2

    Default

    I have to wayyyyy agree with you...driving while texting is just as bad as being drunk because your not aware of whats going on and I just hate cell phones anyways...Too expensive,companys are too gready,cell phone cant do crap for what you pay for them and all these stupid crap about these contracts you have to sign like some sort of like your getting car inscurence of some kind...

    Who ever drives while on a cell phone should just have there licene taken away because they are a health risk to them selfs and everyone around them(sorry but im being real about this because your driving in real life and even if you make one mistake...You can kill people)

    Seriouly,if you have to talk to your friend or text about something...Just pull over or just dont leave home...Its the law anyways says in CA of course...

  3. #3

    Default

    I believe that talking while driving should only be allowed if it's "hands free" that being said, I also believe that there is more than just cell phones at work here that cause people to be distracted. (smoking, eating, reading....yeah reading) So we need to crack down on all distracted driving and not just cell phones.

  4. #4

    Default

    It's worth noting that cell phone and texting bans have, at the last I saw, not actually been having any impact on accident rates.

    Texting And Driving May Not Lead To More Crashes

    Michigan has one of the more stringent bans on texting while driving in the country. Exactly zero people actually care or obey it. Honestly, I think technologies such as Ford's Sync and various voice recognition present much greater opportunities to prevent texting and cell use while driving than do laws. My own belief is that younger people that have never lived without cell phones and the like are likely to use their phones while driving whether there is a law in place or not. I think it better to acknowledge behaviors and adapt rather than pretending a law will be a panacea.

  5. #5

    Default

    [QUOTE=1ObsoleteBaby;961050]For anyone not interested in reading all this, i boldedthe main points/questions.

    I think that it is bullshit in its most basic form, because I very well CAN drive and talk at the same time, its not difficult and just takes prioritizing what is more important, the conversation or your life... just like I can walk and talk I can drive and talk and not get into a horrific idiotic accident, as I am sure a lot of other people both on and off this site can also do.
    You're kidding yourself. Everyone thinks they're a much better driver than they really are. Unless perhaps your name is Alonso, Vettel, or Hamilton. Just like opening more apps on your computer, holding a phone conversation uses processor clock cycles. Inevitably, your response to other sensory inputs is slowed. Maybe you've gotten away with it so far by luck, but talking on the phone increases the odds that sooner or later something will escape your attention or some surprise event will happen inside your [slowed] response time. Maybe you are a better driver than most. You on the phone is still a worse driver than you off the phone. Multitasking is a myth.

    You don't get to drive in a vacuum, unless you're on a closed race course doing a time trial, or somewhere in Montana. You are interacting with and relying on the skill and attention of those around you. When you get on the phone, you are reducing the average skill and attention level, and increasing the average response time of drivers, cyclists and pedestrians in your immediate area. In short, the vicinity of your vehicle becomes less safe for everyone, idiots and geniuses alike.





    Now the question is, do you think its right for the government of the state to ban cellphone use while driving for non-commercial vehicles?
    It shouldn't be necessary, but I'd be fine with it. I do think drivers tests should be a lot more stringent. As an example, answering "yes" to the question "Can you safely drive and use a phone at the same time?" should result in an automatic fail.





    These people constantly slow down, crash, cause traffic, or just dont move because they are THAT distracted... now comes the second question of discussion.

    Although these people arent a danger to me because I pay very close attention on the road and I drive VERY defensively, I am willing to give up my privilege of being able to talk on the phone in my car to STOP these morons from making my driving experience into a nightmare.
    Aren't a danger to you? You're kidding, right? If someone blows through a red light or stopsign inside your ability to react, or your car's ability to manuever, you're getting hit. Driving defensively improves your odds, but its not foolproof.



    Now although I am aware that its not SO bad in every state as bad as it is in Miami or NY or what not, but my second question is for those who are able to multitask on a motor-skill level:
    Like I said, multitasking is a myth. That said, there are places where a short phone call is very low risk, like an empty interstate in good weather.



    Would you give up your ability to do that which others cant, to avoid either driving with irresponsible creatures or to prevent said subjects from crashing into others and causing problems?
    My phone is off when I'm driving. I'd turn my wife off as well if I could. She doesn't react well to duct tape over her mouth.

    If I'm on the phone with someone, and it becomes apparent they're driving, I'll tell them to call back when they park, then hang up.

    Note: My perspective is that of someone who puts more miles on my bicycles than my cars. If I have any physical interaction with a motor vehicle, there's no "I'm sorry, call my insurance company". I'm going to the hospital or the morgue.

    Note 2.: I've done a fair amount of bike racing, both on and off road, so I think my focus, reaction times, and coordination would match up with any of you in a motor vehicle, but I'm not arrogant enough to think I'm THAT good, or that it justifies my yapping on the phone while driving. No phone conversation is so important that it can't wait until I turn off the motor.
    Last edited by Maxx; 09-Oct-2012 at 20:43.

  6. #6
    CrinklySiren

    Default

    [QUOTE=Maxx;961092]

    Quote Originally Posted by 1ObsoleteBaby View Post
    For anyone not interested in reading all this, i boldedthe main points/questions.

    You're kidding yourself. Everyone thinks they're a much better driver than they really are. Unless perhaps your name is Alonso, Vettel, or Hamilton. Just like opening more apps on your computer, holding a phone conversation uses processor clock cycles. Inevitably, your response to other sensory inputs is slowed. Maybe you've gotten away with it so far by luck, but talking on the phone increases the odds that sooner or later something will escape your attention or some surprise event will happen inside your [slowed] response time. Maybe you are a better driver than most. You on the phone is still a worse driver than you off the phone. Multitasking is a myth.
    THIS is exactly what I hate about the world. Forgive me if I get offensive but I am about to show you JUST HOW MUCH I HATE when people generalize just by commenting on this ONE part of your post... THERE IS NO WAY 8 billion people in the world DONT KNOW how to multitask, multitasking is NOT a myth, maybe MULTI-THINKING is, but the ability to do more than one thing at a time is no legend and your inability to do it does not render 8 billion people just as UNABLE. You dont have to be a godamn nascar driver to be able to TALK and DRIVE at the same time, because just as I can TALK to someone who is RIDING in my car while I drive, I can talk to someone on me EAR just as well. I never said that I am a better driver than anyone or that I am the best driver, i never even said I was a good driver, all I said was that It is possible because I can do it, and I dont appreciate you ASSUMING you know about me and my ability to drive, if you were to look me up you would see I have NOTHING on my record except for driving through bank property which to my surprise was illegal. I have never so much as been HONKED at unless someone else was on an ONCOMING traffic lane THINKING they were in the right when clearly they were moving AGAINST traffic. This kind of mentality is what keeps people from ever THINKING things that are moronically simple to be even remotely possible. In case you feel the need for me to explain why it is that I can perform this incredibly simple task, it is because I prioritize the road over the phone. If you were to ask ANYONE who knows me, friends, family, co-workers, they all know not to call me while im driving because i wont pay attention to conversation with such intensity as I place in my driving path. Stop assuming everyone is the same because its the one quality I truly hate about people, and I'm actually nice enough not to let my temper get the better of me but others arent, and regardless of the person, its rude. SIMPLY BY NAMING Nascar drivers, your argument is flawed because THEY are also people and to say that you would have to be them to be able to drive and talk on the phone, you imply that there ARE indeed people who can do so. You make it seem as though driving and talking on the phone is like operating a forklift with a blindfold on. Cmon man.

    - - - Updated - - -

    [QUOTE=Maxx;961092]

    Quote Originally Posted by 1ObsoleteBaby View Post
    Aren't a danger to you? You're kidding, right? If someone blows through a red light or stopsign inside your ability to react, or your car's ability to manuever, you're getting hit. Driving defensively improves your odds, but its not foolproof.
    You are getting out of context, I DONT MEAN IN GENERAL!!! I mean in regards to cellphone usage! OBVIOUSLY if someone blows through a red light and crashes into me im not gonna be able to do shit, but that is irrelevant because I would also be unable to do anything if I were stuck in traffic and some guy decided to get onto my lane without his turn signal, both can happen with or without the use of cellphones.

    The point I was making is that people who talk on the phone and drive are not something I worry about because I can avoid them, because 100% of the time people who are distracted by their phone are not paying attention when they switch lanes and driving annoyingly slow, NEVER have I ever seen anyone speed past me while talking on the phone, the only people who do that are douchebag college kids with fast cars that their parents bought them, and they are never on the phone.

    And besides, if my light is green I ALWAYS slow down before I cross long enough to look both ways to see if a car is even remotely close to going past the light, because THAT my friend, is also considered defensive driving.

  7. #7

    Default

    [QUOTE=1ObsoleteBaby;961098]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post

    THIS is exactly what I hate about the world. Forgive me if I get offensive but I am about to show you JUST HOW MUCH I HATE when people generalize just by commenting on this ONE part of your post... THERE IS NO WAY 8 billion people in the world DONT KNOW how to multitask, multitasking is NOT a myth, maybe MULTI-THINKING is, but the ability to do more than one thing at a time is no legend and your inability to do it does not render 8 billion people just as UNABLE. You dont have to be a godamn nascar driver to be able to TALK and DRIVE at the same time, because just as I can TALK to someone who is RIDING in my car while I drive, I can talk to someone on me EAR just as well. I never said that I am a better driver than anyone or that I am the best driver, i never even said I was a good driver, all I said was that It is possible because I can do it, and I dont appreciate you ASSUMING you know about me and my ability to drive, if you were to look me up you would see I have NOTHING on my record except for driving through bank property which to my surprise was illegal. I have never so much as been HONKED at unless someone else was on an ONCOMING traffic lane THINKING they were in the right when clearly they were moving AGAINST traffic. This kind of mentality is what keeps people from ever THINKING things that are moronically simple to be even remotely possible. In case you feel the need for me to explain why it is that I can perform this incredibly simple task, it is because I prioritize the road over the phone. If you were to ask ANYONE who knows me, friends, family, co-workers, they all know not to call me while im driving because i wont pay attention to conversation with such intensity as I place in my driving path. Stop assuming everyone is the same because its the one quality I truly hate about people, and I'm actually nice enough not to let my temper get the better of me but others arent, and regardless of the person, its rude. SIMPLY BY NAMING Nascar drivers, your argument is flawed because THEY are also people and to say that you would have to be them to be able to drive and talk on the phone, you imply that there ARE indeed people who can do so. You make it seem as though driving and talking on the phone is like operating a forklift with a blindfold on. Cmon man.
    No this is whats bullshit. Your driving a hunk of metal and plastic that weighs at least 1,000 pounds and can likely go up to 88 mph and you think it's fine to multi-task. I dare you to cross a busy road on foot with every driver using one or both hands to talk or text and we'll see how confident you are there.

    Yeah I think you can wait or pull over to talk or text if you don't use hands free options for whatever reason. I mean fuck, people on here like Tapatalk so damn much it's a wonder why this topic even exists.

    But I agree with Maxx. most if not all people are beyond shitty drivers at some point and you getting so offended at that statement only backs it up. I've already ran a stop sign once since I did it see it and that fucking terrified me. My aunt intentionally did not say anything so the lesson of running it would sink in deeper. I wasn't even on a phone, no radio and not talk and I missed a freaking stop sign and I am normally VERY observant.

    So please stop with this "oh others might be shit but i'm PERFECT." Because it's complete bullshit.

  8. #8
    CrinklySiren

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    It's worth noting that cell phone and texting bans have, at the last I saw, not actually been having any impact on accident rates.

    Texting And Driving May Not Lead To More Crashes

    Michigan has one of the more stringent bans on texting while driving in the country. Exactly zero people actually care or obey it. Honestly, I think technologies such as Ford's Sync and various voice recognition present much greater opportunities to prevent texting and cell use while driving than do laws. My own belief is that younger people that have never lived without cell phones and the like are likely to use their phones while driving whether there is a law in place or not. I think it better to acknowledge behaviors and adapt rather than pretending a law will be a panacea.
    I would be lying if I said I knew anything about that, but that is why I made it clear that my point of view in the origin of this post is to point out that people who cannot manage to drive and talk on the phone, drive like idiots and only take away from the driving experience. People crash and get distracted on the road regardless, but in case i didnt explain correctly (which im pretty sure I did, but maybe not) my opinion on the whole subject lies solely in the category of annoyances and not danger/risk prevention. I hope that makes sense =/

    - - - Updated - - -

    [QUOTE=Fire2box;961103]

    Quote Originally Posted by 1ObsoleteBaby View Post

    No this is whats bullshit. Your driving a hunk of metal and plastic that weighs at least 1,000 pounds and can likely go up to 88 mph and you think it's fine to multi-task. I dare you to cross a busy road on foot with every driver using one or both hands to talk or text and we'll see how confident you are there.
    -_- that is why you dont cross when the light is green, which is another problem PEOPLE seem to have, i dont understand what so hard about seeing a RED LIGHT or a STOP SIGN or a DO NOT WALK sign. Are you serious? Im sorry if you have run into people who use BOTH hands to talk on the phone, but just because they are worthless people does not mean I AM as well. Once again you are another person assuming I am like every other person who doesnt know how to manage the limit of their abilites. I find it incredibly unfair that you and Maxx are judging my ability level on something to which you have no information.

    because apparently you and others don't know or don't care to read. I NEVER SAID MULTITASKING WHILE DRIVING IS OK! I SAID DRIVING WHILE TALKING ON THE PHONE IS POSSIBLE!! IT JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE CONSIDERED A MULTI-TASKING SITUATION

    Should I repeat myself a 4th time?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I'd also like to add that aside from everyone else on this post, you both are the only ones aimed at correcting what I said when the purpose of this post is to answer/discuss the 2 questions I presented. I left it to common sense which led me to believe that because NEITHER of you know me or what I am capable of, you wouldn't feel the need or feel the necessity to quote me on things irrelevant to my conversation, because despite who you both put it, my ability to drive or talk or lack there of has nothing to do with the question i presented if only with one word which is "cellphone" I gave my opinion on the law, the people who fail to do the task, and what I think should be done, and you both have only managed to ignore the topic and try to correct my statements. With all due respect, DONT fucking attack me, and just discuss the topic, the topic here is not ME or MY ability, its that of the rest of the people because if I was truly part of the group that was lacking in ability, it would be hypocritical of me to post this, but because I truly KNOW and have had WITNESSES to tell me that I am not a mindless cellphone zombie, I feel like I could post this in safety of not being attacked, but I guess I was wrong. Now I apologize if I have offended anyone, but I dont appreciate being attacked without cause, if you dont like my self confidence, don't bring me down because i wouldn't/haven't done the same to you.

  9. #9

    Default Driving and Cellphones

    Guys, no shouting please. You can bold something if you really want to attract attention to it.

  10. #10

    Default

    [QUOTE=1ObsoleteBaby;961104]I would be lying if I said I knew anything about that, but that is why I made it clear that my point of view in the origin of this post is to point out that people who cannot manage to drive and talk on the phone, drive like idiots and only take away from the driving experience. People crash and get distracted on the road regardless, but in case i didnt explain correctly (which im pretty sure I did, but maybe not) my opinion on the whole subject lies solely in the category of annoyances and not danger/risk prevention. I hope that makes sense =/

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post

    -_- that is why you dont cross when the light is green, which is another problem PEOPLE seem to have, i dont understand what so hard about seeing a RED LIGHT or a STOP SIGN or a DO NOT WALK sign. Are you serious? Im sorry if you have run into people who use BOTH hands to talk on the phone, but just because they are worthless people does not mean I AM as well. Once again you are another person assuming I am like every other person who doesnt know how to manage the limit of their abilites. I find it incredibly unfair that you and Maxx are judging my ability level on something to which you have no information.

    because apparently you and others don't know or don't care to read. I NEVER SAID MULTITASKING WHILE DRIVING IS OK! I SAID DRIVING WHILE TALKING ON THE PHONE IS POSSIBLE!! IT JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE CONSIDERED A MULTI-TASKING SITUATION

    Should I repeat myself a 4th time?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I'd also like to add that aside from everyone else on here, you both are the only ones aimed at correcting what I said when the purpose of this post is to answer/discuss the 2 questions I presented. I left it to common sense which led me to believe that because NEITHER of you know me or what I am capable of, you wouldn't feel the need or feel the necessity to quote me on things irrelevant to my conversation, because despite who you both put it, my ability to drive or talk or lack there of has nothing to do with the question i presented if only with one word which is "cellphone" I gave my opinion on the law, the people who fail to do the task, and what I think should be done, and you both have only managed to ignore the topic and try to correct my statements. With all due respect, DONT fucking attack me, and just discuss the topic, the topic here is not ME or MY ability, its that of the rest of the people because if I was truly part of the group that was lacking in ability, it would be hypocritical of me to post this, but because I truly KNOW and have had WITNESSES to tell me that I am not a mindless cellphone zombie, I feel like I could post this in safety of not being attacked, but I guess I was wrong. Now I apologize if I have offended anyone, but I dont appreciate being attacked without cause, if you dont like my self confidence, don't bring me down because i wouldn't/haven't done the same to you.
    I have no idea who's personally attacking you, your reading into things it seems. All me and I suppose maxx are getting at is people should likely used BOTH hands to drive their car or not drive at all.

    Also my personal feeling is all human beings are more or less shitty drivers. Which is why I admitted to accidentally running a stop sign myself when all I was doing is being focused on driving. But as far as I've seen (and I skip most of your posts so far.) your really acting like you don't make mistakes in driving, ever.

Similar Threads

  1. Driving
    By Kalis in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 24-Jan-2011, 20:39
  2. Does anyone else do this while driving?
    By Nihlus in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 22-Apr-2010, 18:51
  3. So I'm driving...
    By LilRabbit in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2009, 01:31
  4. Driving to HS?
    By diaperedteenager in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-Aug-2009, 16:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.