Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thrift store finds?

Default thrift store finds?

Is finding adult diapers at thrift stores,goodwill, salvation army a somewhat common thing or few and far between. I live in maine and recently had an opportunity to check out these types of store in a few different towns and sadly found none.

In my area they are usually very cheaply made diapers. I found a lot of size small tranquility slimlines. My heart was racing as i was looking through them for my size especially because they were three dollars for each bag. Ended up buying several bags of the smalls, ripping the wings off them and used them as stuffers.

Like the person above me stated, I've found a lot of cheep diapers as well. It's to the point where I don't even chance it unless I know that particular brand that I'm buying since I've had so many sub-par briefs. Granted, I've found some great quality home-made plastic pants though. xD

fozzie

I think there hit and miss

you're probably best looking for shops selling liquidated stock, or whatever the US equivilent is. back in the mid-90s, a shop opened up in our village selling liquidated stock, at was once a greengrocers, and they were selling Molicares [small] as "XXL/child size nappies (for bedwetting??)" for a few quid per pack. i wasn't working at the time, but bought a couple of packs (i think, for 2.50 each). after getting home and trying them for size, i decided to go back down and try to negotiate the purchase of all his stock, thinking that he didn't have that many. he had loads and my mind and heart were already commited to buying them all. i got him down to a really, really low price-per-pack (can't remember exactly, but it was totally a steal; and consider that i only had my dole money to go on). it took several trips in the car to get them all home and i could barely move in my bedroom for them (they were stacked up to the ceiling). i wore nothing but nappies as underwear for well over half the year; and the event also spawned some weird lucid dreams of finding boxes of dispies strewn along the roadside and my efforts to collect them and get them home.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    you're probably best looking for shops selling liquidated stock, or whatever the US equivilent is. back in the mid-90s, a shop opened up in our village selling liquidated stock, at was once a greengrocers, and they were selling Molicares [small] as "XXL/child size nappies (for bedwetting??)" for a few quid per pack. i wasn't working at the time, but bought a couple of packs (i think, for 2.50 each). after getting home and trying them for size, i decided to go back down and try to negotiate the purchase of all his stock, thinking that he didn't have that many. he had loads and my mind and heart were already commited to buying them all. i got him down to a really, really low price-per-pack (can't remember exactly, but it was totally a steal; and consider that i only had my dole money to go on). it took several trips in the car to get them all home and i could barely move in my bedroom for them (they were stacked up to the ceiling). i wore nothing but nappies as underwear for well over half the year; and the event also spawned some weird lucid dreams of finding boxes of dispies strewn along the roadside and my efforts to collect them and get them home.
    Haha like this story!

There is a thrift store here in Houston, that always has adult diapers. The majority are no name, just in sealed plastic, but I have found several packages of brand name diapers. They are priced at less than half retail price. I how have a several month supply.

Not so common in my experience... but if you keep looking you're bound to find one. Its always exciting when you find somewhere that does have em'.

Thrift store diaper shopping is kind of a hobby of mine - particularly when I'm traveling.

The best diapers I've ever found at a thrift store were a bag of Tranquility ATN slim - just 1 bag and they were around $5.
    Other than that, I've picked up quite a wide diversity over the years - typically junk or near junk and very few with the features that nicer diapers tend to have: stand up leak guards, decent tapes, thickness, SAP, etc.

In my experience, it truly is hit and miss. I've found the best at a chain out west known as "Value Village" but also have had decent luck at Goodwill. Salvation Army once and a while will have something and St. Vincent (catholic chain) almost never has anything. Fun fun times

Falkio

Like Fozzie said, its usually hit and miss.

I hear stories of people finding packages of Luvs 6's in thrift stores, while others mention that they never find anything. I found a few decent brands shopping around the Capital Hill district in Seattle once, but nothing spectacular. I usually go to thrift stores for used glassware, or needed odds and ends for projects.