Thread: Cloth Curious

Default Cloth Curious

So... I've only ever tried two kinds of diapers... I got a hold of I think an attends twice when I was 14 and I bought my first pack last year and used less than half the pack, the were the cloth backed kind, didn't really like them too much, but I can't remember the brand. you see, I left the package at work and would take home one at a time. I really enjoy diapers for the idea of thickness and I have heard of some nice, thick disposables, but have never ordered them. So many sites will tell you that thickness can be easier obtained by a cloth diaper. I was never into this idea because although I like plastic disposables I wasn't too sure how I would feel about plastic pants and I wasn't sure if safety pins could be snug enough. It doesn't sound gross, I was just skeptical.

Now, after sharing with le fiance... He says he kind of like the idea of cloth for texture ...so I started looking around and saw some cloth with Velcro or cloth with hook and loop thingee... I'm more into the flannel than Terri texture... Also I'm worried because I rarely wet but I like the diaper, if I decided to wet would a thick cloth hold it without leaking? Where is a good place off the net to buy as far as price and secrecy? Can you get a cute design but still be thick? How much will the material shrink? would it work to wear a store disposable under a thick clothing I want to wet?

Please, share any advice or experience you may have! Future thanks!

I haven't tried the flannel or prefold type but I do use plain terry squares at home. I use a single flat square, kite-fold, with a smaller one folded into a pad to make a booster inside, and if I put it on snug enough it'll last hours without leaking. The way I do it isn't too bulky but it'll hold easily as much as a premium disposable. The only downsides are the laundry and the lack of odour control.

Quote Originally Posted by BebbyDoll View Post
    Here's a good primer to read first: All About Cloth Diapers

...and some thoughts on where to buy the different kinds: Online places to order diapers (This thread deals with disposables too, but I've linked to my own cloth-focused post. Check the other posts too!)

Quote Originally Posted by BebbyDoll
    I wasn't too sure how I would feel about plastic pants and I wasn't sure if safety pins could be snug enough.
    They can be as snug as you want them to be! No problems there. Also, if you end up trying diapers that require fasteners, there are non-pin fasteners like Snappis and (my favorites) Boingos.

if I decided to wet would a thick cloth hold it without leaking?
    Cloth and pull-on plastic pants can be an amazingly leak-proof combo, and if you need more absorbency, just use another diaper as a doubler.

Can you get a cute design but still be thick?
    Probably! But it's really better to accomplish thickness with added layers rather than getting a single super-thick diaper. Thick diapers are harder to clean and take longer to dry, which also means more stress on the fabric and a shorter diaper lifetime. As far as cuteness goes: With separates (flats/prefolds + plastic pants/covers), the cuteness factor is more about prints on the pants, and there's a lot of variety available. In contrast, the number of printed all-in-one diapers is pretty small. Still, if you're coming from disposables, you may naturally prefer the idea of an all-in-one.

How much will the material shrink?
    That depends entirely on the diaper. The manufacturer/seller will provide this information.

Hope this helps!

if I decided to wet would a thick cloth hold it without leaking?
    Yes! Probably much better than a disposable as they tend to absorb quicker and have a greater capacity. You could use stuffers (or make your own out of old towels) or wear multiple diapers to increase bulk/absorbency.

How much will the material shrink?
    I don't think they'd shrink much... unless you're really close to the minimum waist-size, you should be fine.

would it work to wear a store disposable under a thick clothing I want to wet?
    Sure... it would add a bit of bulk and probably help if the disposable leaked... but obviously you'd have to cut slits/holes in the waterproof layer of the disposable if you wanted to take advantage of the cloth's absorbency.

There are quite a range of styles and materials, so have a good look round to see what's available! Some are squares of fabric that you have to fold and pin, others are shaped like disposables and either pin on or fasten with Velcro. The thicker shaped ones can take quite a while to dry... You can also get all-in-ones with a built-in waterproof layer, but I guess they would take aaaages to dry after being washed (and plastic pants can be handwashed separately to prevent damage/cracking.

Hope this helps a little...

Cloth diapers rock! They are way more absorbant than the drug store disposables. you can make them as thick as you want by layering up. If you use them regularly, they are more cost effective. You can get the cutest, babyish designs in plastic pants (I love plastic pants), but for comfort, longevity, and ease-of-care, nothing beets a PUL pant.