Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Little Surprise at Class the Other Day

Default A Little Surprise at Class the Other Day

Hopefully this post is allowed (it feels more like a blog) but I have to share this. Anyway, about a week ago in my drawing class, I don't know how it got to this, but we ended up talking about lifestyles/fetishes. So of course furries came up and my teacher said "There are a lot of furries that go to this school". I'm sure there are furries and ABDLs in a lot of industries, but it seems they're more prevalent in the arts (at least in my opinion) so I really wasn't surprised to hear that there were furries at my school (an arts school). What surprised me is that this was like our 5th class session and we're already talking about some stuff that is prevalent and interesting to me (other than drawing). Now to differentiate this from a blog:

Has anyone else had any moments like these and/or is anyone else aware of a significant furrie population at their school? I go to a private university so in my graduating class there are probably 50 people tops (probably more like 20-30) and in my drawing class it's me and like 5 other people so it's not really like a normal "class room setting" (at least compared to what I'm use to) so we discuss a lot of things during the class which is 3 hours.

A few of my friends and I were walking through the park today on their campus, and passed by a group of furries at a picnic table. (At least some of them were; we saw several tails.) Odd that this should come up on the same day, hah.

I never met any furries in my high school, but I noticed a lot of people drawing or setting desktop backgrounds to anime catgirls. I was like, "Not sure if furry or anime fan..." And I saw girls with cat ear headbands like twice, but that's something a lot of non-furs do anyway.

I haven't seen any furries on my college campus either, even though it's a place where people would be totally okay with that...

As weird as it is my old art teacher's brother was a furry and she was really cool about it. I eventually came out to her a furry and she took it really well and I have a great relationship with her now.

It is really not surprising that the majority of art students are furries as the fandom is based on artwork created my the imagination of artists without which, I don't think the fandom would have as large a community nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by whitefox View Post
    A few of my friends and I were walking through the park today on their campus, and passed by a group of furries at a picnic table. (At least some of them were; we saw several tails.) Odd that this should come up on the same day, hah.
    That's interesting to point out. When my friend was walking around campus the other day (this was like a year ago), he saw someone walking around with a tail on which, unless it's at a costume party, means they must be a furry or at least have some furry in them.

Don't know why, but when typing this the movie Riddick crossed my mind. Riddick was a fury or furion (his race/species), now just imagine it as furry instead. He'd be f#cking sh#t up while dressed up as a Ninja Turtle or something (you get the point). That'd be pretty awesome

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moka View Post
    I never met any furries in my high school, but I noticed a lot of people drawing or setting desktop backgrounds to anime catgirls. I was like, "Not sure if furry or anime fan..." And I saw girls with cat ear headbands like twice, but that's something a lot of non-furs do anyway.

I haven't seen any furries on my college campus either, even though it's a place where people would be totally okay with that...
    I've seen a lot of this too (cat ears and generally furry related stuff on girls and furryish/animeish artwork being done by individuals) and have come to the same conclusion. Girls do and can get away with cute stuff like that and the artwork could be done for a number of reasons other than being furry and someone's fursona needs to be manifested in a creative way which can only be done in the arts really (unless someone wants to genetically modify themselves in which case it would be more scientific, but that would probably be just a little bit over the line).

A university is way different than all other grades. Suddenly the tight walled in space that's been your life (for the most part) suddenly explodes and all of a sudden everything changes (for the better). Maybe it might not be 100% okay to fur out hardcore everyday, but hey, if you decided to wear a tail or something it's not like the next day everyone on campus would be talking about it and how weird you are like it would be in high school.

I know of at least 2 other furries in my (pretty small) industry. I've never outed myself to them, but it's pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by dracodex View Post
    As weird as it is my old art teacher's brother was a furry and she was really cool about it. I eventually came out to her a furry and she took it really well and I have a great relationship with her now.

It is really not surprising that the majority of art students are furries as the fandom is based on artwork created my the imagination of artists without which, I don't think the fandom would have as large a community nowadays.
    That's cool that your teacher is chill with it. Probably helped having someone around to relate and talk to about it. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of my teachers is a furry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by squashNstretch View Post
    I know of at least 2 other furries in my (pretty small) industry. I've never outed myself to them, but it's pretty funny
    Which industry would that be? If you don't mind me asking. I probably have you confused with someone else, but I remember in another thread someone said they bumped into a coworker at furcon. It sounded sooo awkward

Quote Originally Posted by XxThisGuyxX View Post
    Which industry would that be? If you don't mind me asking. I probably have you confused with someone else, ...
    Hah, That's not me. I've never been to a furcon. I work in visual effects/animation. I HIGHLY suspected someone I worked with a while back was a babyfur. It turns out he's just a regular fur. In that case I'm glad I never outed myself. Looking online, quite a few students in my field are furries, but I guess they hide that once they go pro. And one other guy that recently contacted my on the /r/babyfurs subreddit I moderate.

SO far I've been lucky enough to not cross career and abdl/furry paths.

Visual effects and animation, that's what I like to hear! I think it would be cool to have a fur and/or ABDL friend to work with, but that's really because it would have to be a pretty good and trustworthy friend to know that much about you so it'd be nice working with them. Other than that, this stuff really doesn't belong in the work place in my opinion. It's a pretty small world though, we're probably all surrounded by furries and *BDLs (sarcastic).

Quote Originally Posted by XxThisGuyxX View Post
    That's interesting to point out. When my friend was walking around campus the other day (this was like a year ago), he saw someone walking around with a tail on which, unless it's at a costume party, means they must be a furry or at least have some furry in them.
    You need to watch out for weird people. I'm not a furry but if I had a fake tail, or pants with a tail I'd probably wear it from time to time depending on where I was going and my general mood that day. Actually it would be pretty awesome to have a real tail. I don't think admitting that makes me a furry considering that I think it'd be awesome to have more arms or detachable cyborg parts too. I just like upgrades.