Thread: Godfather?

Default Godfather?

So my mom just told me my sister was going to ask me about my beliefs because she was thinking about making me her daughters godfather, now i would have loved to be her godfather and be there when she needed advice or whatever until i asked what my beliefs really had to do with it and i was told that as a godfather my job would be to help her stay on the path of Christianity.... so i told my mom straight out no, i could never do that i don't believe and i would simply tell my sisters daughter that she needed to decide her own beliefs if she ever asked. Now i feel kinda bad because because i said no, i haven't been asked by my sister yet but i know my mom will tell her what i said. Not sure if i should of lied about my beliefs or not, what do you guys think of this.

I think because this is a serious subject, you made the right decision. I'm surprised that your sister doesn't know your belief system, or lack there of. You can't be someone you're not, nor should you have to. There's probably a better way to deal with this however. You could say to your sister that you love both her and your niece very much. Your sister must love you and appreciate you for who you are including your value system, since she wants you as her daughter's godfather. I don't think your spiritual beliefs have to be a deal breaker, if the rest of you is the person your sister loves and respects. I'd get to your sister before your mom does, as surly you must have more to say on the subject.

In all honesty these days Godparent has very little religious connotations associated with it. In the Catholic tradition, it is someone that merely sponsors a Baptism. There is a sort of family mentoring that is often associated with the role. I myself am a Godfather, though it is not a very active role. My Godfather is about the same in terms of an active role.

However if this is what's being expected of you to be named a Godfather (as the role is sort of set by the nominator) then at least you are being honest. Often times though, that family bond and mentoring often trumps that religious part (depends on how Christian your sister is). If it's something you want to do, then talk to your sister. If not, well, it's not that big of a deal. I guess in my Catholic family the role of Godfather is not that serious of a one as I've seen.

Well you stuck to your beliefs and made a wise decision for the correct reason, it may suck to say no to family especially on a decision such as this but if you aren't able to comply to your family's wishes then it is for the best that you don't take the position of godfather. Your sister may understand and thank you for it in the long run, yes she will also be a little bit disappointed but she should respect your honesty too. You'll feel better eventually but just keep reminding yourself that you did the right thing.

Thanks for all the advice and replies you guy's, I'll talk to my sister next time i see her.

I've never understood the godfather role. But to me it sounds like you did the right thing by telling her no, if asked, just explain that you are uncomfortable doing it.