Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeling pressured by my therapist

Default Feeling pressured by my therapist

I have been under a lot of stress lately and had to have a minor surgery this week and I had to confront one of my major fears with that and I had to go to my therapy session today because it is very hard to reschedual with her offic. Since I wasn't feeling well at all and was still in a lot of pain I took a plushie with me I didn't think it would pose much of a problem, but during our session she tried to pressure me into letting her get rid of my plushie telling me it was an unhealthy coping mechanisim. I polietly told her that I wouldn't let her but she kept pushing me. I feel like she had crossed a line by pushing me, I don't let it interfere with my daily life if I did I could understand how it would be unhealthy. I feel like I have done something wrong I haven't told her about my little side because I was afraid and now I feel bad for having my little side. Did I cross a line I shouldn't have?

I don't think so... It doesn't sound like she's trying very hard to see things from your point of view. If anything, I think she crossed a line because... well... I thought the general consensus was that a therapist should be an ally that you can trust to help you work through your issues and to help you feel better about yourself... not bad for being who you are.

I know my shrink sees coping mechanisms (even unhealthy ones, like drinking fairly heavily) as "good" in that they help you deal with a situation. He seems a lot less interested in the coping mechanisms themselves than about the underlying causes. I think his idea is that you get to a point where you can cope without "crutches" before trying to limit them if (and only if) they're unhealthy... So carrying a plushie around would be fine in any case if that's what you're comfortable doing and it doesn't cause you any problems.

Buy what do I know...

Well, her not having any context to why you brought a plushy with you could bring an entirely different impression for her defense. Since she doesn't know about your little side, she wouldn't understand the attachment, and probably assumes that it is something that you haven't grown out of because of neglect from growing up, rather than its an item that you love because it helps you reach a point inside yourself that makes you feel alive and like yourself.
    However, since most people would associate Ab/Dl'sm with not growing up, rather than just the alternative lifestyle and actual Identity that develops naturally in each of us Ab/Dl's anyway, i'm assuming that telling your therapist you are an Ab/Dl would be a bad idea, because she would try to take away that part of yourself as well.

Since she is your therapist, i don't think bringing a plushy was inappropriate, because they should be open to the unexpected, so long as it isn't something that violate proper conduct like showing up in just a diaper. Bringing a plushy really isn't a big deal at all in my opinion. I think she crossed the line personally, she was trying to push you to do something that you obviously didn't agree with, if she wants any success, she needs to know that the desire to do something must come from the patient.

Most certainly don't give her your plushy, if that little guy makes you feel safe, then you have a tool that many people don't have the luck of being able to have. You shouldn't be ashamed of being yourself.

She only wants what is best for you however seeing as how you explicitly stated that you weren't going to give up your plushie and she continued to push at the issue she did indeed cross a line, it's OK to help a patient however you should only help them with the issues they came to you for and if you see no problem with keeping your plushie in your life then she should let the issue drop and move on to more important things. Yes it may be a coping mechanism but many people have one and many adults still use their plushies or baby blankets as theirs.

Some that treat people have there own agenda that is why you have to find a therapist that fits. Some do not . How do you feel she would take your little side.In some way she broke your trust.Look for some one that has had littles or has worked with them. Trust matters the most if you can not trust how can you open up to your feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by babykitten View Post
    I have been under a lot of stress lately and had to have a minor surgery this week and I had to confront one of my major fears with that and I had to go to my therapy session today because it is very hard to reschedual with her offic. Since I wasn't feeling well at all and was still in a lot of pain I took a plushie with me I didn't think it would pose much of a problem, but during our session she tried to pressure me into letting her get rid of my plushie telling me it was an unhealthy coping mechanisim. I polietly told her that I wouldn't let her but she kept pushing me. I feel like she had crossed a line by pushing me, I don't let it interfere with my daily life if I did I could understand how it would be unhealthy. I feel like I have done something wrong I haven't told her about my little side because I was afraid and now I feel bad for having my little side. Did I cross a line I shouldn't have?
    Why would you feel bad for having a little side? It would be like feeling bad for being a bed wetter or something else that out have no control over. I really feel this is probably a simple case of your therapist treating you more as a child and not an adult.

I fail to see how a plushie is an unhealthy coping mechanism, especially if you are not feeling well and in pain. As long as it is not stopping you from living an otherwise healthy life. So in a way it seems that she was telling you to grow up.

Your choice to share your little side, or not. With the way she reacted last time I would say that she is probably not likely to deal with it well or to be of help to you. There may be a lot of reasons behind this, perhaps she has experiences or issues herself that jade her opinion enough to make her not objective regarding the little stuff.

Default Re: Feeling pressured by my therapist

And it's these kind of stories that remind me to never seek help from therapists...

My friend went through 2 other therapists before finally settling on one that actually was helpful to her. Unfortunately health care isn't perfect.The best thing about medical care though, is you have many options. If you find this therapist's approach isn't working I'd seek another.

As to the situation, as Tyger put it, I don't know what the plush means to you or the context of what happened. In regards to certain coping mechanisms...that's a huge other topic deserving of it's own thread.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Garzilla View Post
    Your choice to share your little side, or not. With the way she reacted last time I would say that she is probably not likely to deal with it well or to be of help to you. There may be a lot of reasons behind this, perhaps she has experiences or issues herself that jade her opinion enough to make her not objective regarding the little stuff.
    If that's the case, I'd get another therapist. Psychotherapy is a "talking therapy"... but just talking about the weather won't help! You need to be able to open up and trust your therapist enough that you can give them a "complete picture" of who you are. Only then can they understand what it is that you're experiencing and how best to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronymaster122 View Post
    And it's these kind of stories that remind me to never seek help from therapists...
    Well, mine has been a great help. If psychotherapy hadn't been available I probably would've killed myself in despair. There are some good therapists out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Bronymaster122 View Post
    I think it's less that you shouldn't seek help from therapists and more than you should make sure the therapist you choose is suited to what you need from them.