Thread: Medical supply store

Default Medical supply store

do medical supply stores require any form of doctor note for briefs in their store?

Reason for me asking is that it would be faster to go there then to order off the internet and I'm sick and tired of wakeing up miserable to a store bought diaper that didn't hold up in the night.

Anyone have experience with stores like these? Much appreciated

It seems plausible, but I doubt it. I'd call the store in question and ask. If you're talking about a chain Pharmacy like Walgreens, then no. Not at all. A special store owned by a hospital, maybe.

Think of the shop like any drug store - you got your chippies and soda sections, where it's fine to take it and go up to the register with it, and you got the pharmacy at the back with shelves full of potential poisons. The diapers will be in the chip area.

I don't know about in the US, but in the UK, no they don't. If you want to claim tax relief (and get them 20% cheaper) you have to fill in a form and declare what medical problem you have that causes you to need them, but they don't ask for documented evidence.

No I mean I buy briefs every week at the store and know the whole routine, I just found out though that there is a medical supply place down the street 7 miles away, I've only been in this location for about 5 months now. I've ordered from places like xp medical online before so I know the while ordeal. My problem is that its awfully embarrassing and I.have a.snoopy roommate sharing the apartment. Thanks for the comments really do appreciate it

You don't need a doctors note at a medical supply store in the U.S. and they always have a better choice of brands. However, two things about these places. The people tend to be overly helpful. Be prepared to stutter and mumble something unintelligible when they ask if they can help. Or, just say where are your adult diapers. Second, the diapers they do have will be more expensive than you will pay online.

Oh, and I almost forgot, the diapers will not be in the chip area, but in the teddy bear section.

Lol thats a good one!

Thanks for everything, just thought I'd.ask around since I never dealt with a place like that before thought there could be good deals.

Honestly I will take what I can get at this point

Just a small correction to an earlier post about the United Kingdom - As far as I recall you can get the 20% VAT relief by signing a form to say they are for you and you need them for medical reasons - you do not have to say what is wrong with you-which would be rather intrusive. The form below could make you think you needed to describe your medical condition but all you need put is "incontinence" which is the relevant condition - you don't need to state the cause of the incontinece. This makes sense as not all of us know the cause - but sure as heck we know we have the condition!

Please note there are penalties for making false declarations

Customer

If you are in any doubt as to whether you are eligible to receive goods or services zero-rated for VAT you should consult Notice 701/7 VAT reliefs for disabled people or contact our National Advice Service on 0845 010 9000 before signing the declaration.

I (full name) .................................................. ............................

of (address) .................................................. ............................

.................................................. ................................................

declare that:

I am chronically sick or have a disabling condition by reason of: (give full and specific description of your condition); and that
    I am receiving from: (name and address of supplier)
    * the following goods which are being supplied to me for domestic or my personal use:
    (description of goods)
    * the following services to adapt goods to suit my condition:
    (description of services and goods)
    * the following services of installation, repair or maintenance of goods:
    (description of services and goods)
    * the following alterations to my private residence:
    (description of alteration)
    * the services of monitoring a personal alarm call system
    and I claim relief from value added tax.

.................................................. .............................. (Signature)

.................................................. ...................................... (Date)

Most mail order sites and a lot of pharmacies will help by providing a copy of the form. If you order regularly from a on line firm they will keep the declaration on file so you only need to complete it once.