Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hypocrisy surrounding using another person's art

Default The Hypocrisy surrounding using another person's art

This is an argument i have heard a few times before and again recently i thought i would bring it up here to see what you guys think, especially since this site has a large furry fanbase in it and i know this is an issue within that community. I also apologize for the clunky title couldn't think of a good way to word it.

A personal experience I had was it was when was in reasonable contact with my local furry community ( im not one but was dating one) a person took art and used it as there fursona. They didn't claim the art as their own just used it as there fursona. When this was discovered he was reamed out for it there were some large heated discussions at the time and much anger directed at him mainly from a couple of the local artists. During the discussion as i knew some of the people involved i realised how hypocritical the stance some of the artists and other furs were taking was. I subsequently pointed out they all had pirated games and movies and anime or at some stage software etc etc. My observations were not received well at the time and apparently thats “different” but considering how many gaming companies struggle, small software companies and even anime and movie producers aren't always made of many many anime producers have gone bust in the last 10 years or so i fail to see how its different at all. Im not advocating to do it or not just trying to understand the illogical mind set some of these people have.

Also another example is the TCP debate and how many artists don't like you saving their work, but i see it as that the same level of hypocrisy and arguments apply to those as well.

Anyway what are your guys opinions on it? I personally don't see an issue ethically with it as long as monetary stuff doesn't come into it.

* disclaimer This isn't about being pro piracy or im not advocating on adisc it just discussing how it applies to this issue

I am completely against piracy in all forms. So if someone were to take my artwork or artwork I payed for and use it, I would be rather upset. When talking about furry artwork though and people's fursonas, those other people are right in saying that your friend has no right to use it. It is someone elses character and in the furry community would be the equivalent of identity theft. Even though that sounds really weird. But a Fursona is a representation of "you" you can't just go parading around as someone elses character without their consent.

As for the hypocrisy of "piracy" be it artwork or of digital media, you are right. Those people are being hypocrites, but the sad thing is, a lot of people don't see "copying" something as stealing. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who use the analogy of "imagine someone steals your car, but it's still there in the morning" They jump right over the key word in the sentence of "STEALING" Why should someone else get something for free when I worked hard to pay for something.

I disagree with the idea of piracy on a large scale, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't done it myself. (of course, most of the music I 'pirated' was from artists like Deadmau5 who openly invited people to download their music)
    Also, for the smaller artists/companies it can be argued that piracy can help to get them publicity, and publicity is extremely helpful.

Furry art, however, is on a much more personal level; It was most likely drawn for a single person and only that person to use, because it's a representation of them. That person could've paid LOTS of money for that one piece of artwork; when somebody comes around and starts using it as their own, wouldn't you have a problem with it?

That's my take on the whole matter, anyway.

pamperchu

I say make a copy of anything you want and if you like it, buy it. If I post my pictures on the world wide web, I expect people to download them and enjoy them for free. A copy of a file should never cost money, but if its a limited edition lithograph or original, then its worth paying for.

LittleDrummerGirl

The way I see it, as long as you credit said artist when you share, it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatAndyGuy View Post
    During the discussion as i knew some of the people involved i realised how hypocritical the stance some of the artists and other furs were taking was. I subsequently pointed out they all had pirated games and movies and anime or at some stage software etc etc. My observations were not received well at the time and apparently thats “different” but considering how many gaming companies struggle, small software companies and even anime and movie producers aren't always made of many many anime producers have gone bust in the last 10 years or so i fail to see how its different at all. Im not advocating to do it or not just trying to understand the illogical mind set some of these people have.
    Okay,

Here's how it's different. The movie Spiderman does not represent it's maker's identity. It's a product. It's still wrong, but it's very different to take a product like that versus theft of art within a small community like this one. The art is extremely personal to one specific furry out there. It's their fursona, and their idea that they payed for an artist to bring to life. It's intended to represent them and their character. For someone to take that and use it as an avatar is almost like they're copying someone's fursona entirely, and presenting it as their own. It's not just taking something to use like you took the image so you could look at and enjoy it. It's more like you took the image and portrayed it's content (the character) to be something you created.

I would be pissed if someone took one of the commissions i payed for of my specific character and showed them as an avatar like it was their own. o.o

Quote Originally Posted by pamperchu View Post
    I say make a copy of anything you want and if you like it, buy it. If I post my pictures on the world wide web, I expect people to download them and enjoy them for free. A copy of a file should never cost money, but if its a limited edition lithograph or original, then its worth paying for.
    But this isn't about being able to buy something. His friend is taking artwork of someone's character and using it as their own. As I stated in my above post, when it comes to artwork in the furry community, it is personal. I mean would you want me to take your fursona and wear it around cons? NO you wouldn't because that is something you created and for me to take it, would be taking your identity within the fandom.

I myself would be pissed if someone took artwork I payed for and used it.

It's a big deal in the furry community because for many people (myself included) a fursona is a representation of who they are. Someone that is claiming my fursona as their own is essentially impersonating me. That's why people get all caught up in a bunch over that kind of thing.

As a point the person that took the art wasn't my friend and i don't think he took another persons fursona specifically. Also while i agree that its a highly personal thing so is many people music that they make or the hours and hours that people pour into making games for people to play and desperately trying to make a career out of it.

Either way its a terribly fine line at best you can draw a line between an individual and a company but even there it can be blurred. I still see it hypocritical as its quite similar to piracy (albeit a different form) which i know most people within such communities will practice and if anyone making the arguments presented to me here had done such things i would struggle to respects their opinion in this context.