Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: The Purpose of an Online Community

  1. #1

    Default The Purpose of an Online Community

    [Moderator's note: these posts were split off from this thread and this post quotes a post still within that thread right here, which has been left to maintain the integrity of the original thread. Any posts on the subject of why people post in online communities should go here rather than there.]




    Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    1. You don't post on forums to be validate, you post here to share your thoughts. He threw a hissy fit when someone disagreed with his own judgement and went as far as to say he thinks said person is a friend for child molesters all because the person disagreed with him. To that I claim bullshit, he's putting his own anger towards the "system" and directing it at a member.

    2. as you said posting it here garners little to zero attention from the outside world. This topic wasn't even meant to garner support or change anything because the judge simply can't go back and had on further sentencing. Plus it would have no traction I think.
    I am going to have to disagree with your first point their. Being validated and empowered are one of the most important feelings to a person, even if you arent fully aware of it. But think about why you do anything and think honestly what motivates you.

    Lets even take why you post here, sure you are really smart and you have real interesting posts but i bet you gain a sense of happiness in some form when people agree with you and validate your opinion, even if you may not be aware of it , it's kind of how the human brain works. People like being right and like have others acknowledge the fact.

    So i whole heartedly think that the OP was posting here for one to release some steam and two to gain a sense of empowerment. I'm sure he just wanted people to be like yeah your right the system sucks that guy should of had his nads shoved up his arse so anytime he takes a dump he gets shit all over his nuts.

    So while i'm not saying that is right, or wrong for that matter, i definately think thats was a key factor that motivated the op to post.

    As for the issue at hand i am completely torn on it. In my country priest had been fiddeling kids for years and have been getting away with it through cover ups by both the government and the catholic church. So the fact that this guy got caught and had some form of justice heaped on him makes me feel good about the whole situation.

    On the other hand i do agree that he got off really lightly, like the guy is obviously a crooked cop, if he is capable of that hurrendous crime i am willing to think that he is capable of other crimes. So if he can manage it i'm sure he will find a way to circumvent the sex offender list. Now i'm not saying its possible to do that, i dont know enough about that sort of thing, but my point is that if there is a way i think he will try and exploit it.

    And even if there isnt i still dont think after serving his punishment that he would be reabilitated. Like isnt the whole point of punishment to make sure the offender doesnt repeat? Well i'm not convinced that he wont commit the offence again, he should of had some jail time and some court ordered psychiatry so as to give him a sense of shame about what he did and so he wont do it again.

    Oh and appologies for the spellings, the version of firefox im using at the moment doesnt have a spell check, so its all me on this post, i hope its readible
    Last edited by Trevor; 01-Oct-2012 at 15:54.

  2. #2

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcAwesome View Post
    I am going to have to disagree with your first point their. Being validated and empowered are one of the most important feelings to a person, even if you arent fully aware of it. But think about why you do anything and think honestly what motivates you.

    Lets even take why you post here, sure you are really smart and you have real interesting posts but i bet you gain a sense of happiness in some form when people agree with you and validate your opinion, even if you may not be aware of it , it's kind of how the human brain works. People like being right and like have others acknowledge the fact.

    So i whole heartedly think that the OP was posting here for one to release some steam and two to gain a sense of empowerment. I'm sure he just wanted people to be like yeah your right the system sucks that guy should of had his nads shoved up his arse so anytime he takes a dump he gets shit all over his nuts.

    So while i'm not saying that is right, or wrong for that matter, i definately think thats was a key factor that motivated the op to post.

    As for the issue at hand i am completely torn on it. In my country priest had been fiddeling kids for years and have been getting away with it through cover ups by both the government and the catholic church. So the fact that this guy got caught and had some form of justice heaped on him makes me feel good about the whole situation.

    On the other hand i do agree that he got off really lightly, like the guy is obviously a crooked cop, if he is capable of that hurrendous crime i am willing to think that he is capable of other crimes. So if he can manage it i'm sure he will find a way to circumvent the sex offender list. Now i'm not saying its possible to do that, i dont know enough about that sort of thing, but my point is that if there is a way i think he will try and exploit it.

    And even if there isnt i still dont think after serving his punishment that he would be reabilitated. Like isnt the whole point of punishment to make sure the offender doesnt repeat? Well i'm not convinced that he wont commit the offence again, he should of had some jail time and some court ordered psychiatry so as to give him a sense of shame about what he did and so he wont do it again.

    Oh and appologies for the spellings, the version of firefox im using at the moment doesnt have a spell check, so its all me on this post, i hope its readible
    My point was/is most topics on Adisc and most post's on Adisc are not looking for affirmation by others. If they seek that out and get it, it only becomes a echo camber and this is horrible. Especially when someone's saying someone in real life deserves to die as the OP is here. The OP is clearly unsatisfied with the plea deal sentence and seemingly misapply it to the whole justice system rather then one particular case.

    Asides from the diaper areas of the forum which I don't think count for squat in most cases. Different names, same topics on endless cycle. You will hardly find any topics where people only want others to agree with them and if you disagree with them they'll try to tear your head off for it.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    My point was/is most topics on Adisc and most post's on Adisc are not looking for affirmation by others. If they seek that out and get it, it only becomes a echo camber and this is horrible. Especially when someone's saying someone in real life deserves to die as the OP is here. The OP is clearly unsatisfied with the plea deal sentence and seemingly misapply it to the whole justice system rather then one particular case.

    Asides from the diaper areas of the forum which I don't think count for squat in most cases. Different names, same topics on endless cycle. You will hardly find any topics where people only want others to agree with them and if you disagree with them they'll try to tear your head off for it.
    I completely understand what you are saying, but I still disagree. Especially in this case, the op was clearly looking to gain some validation and to vent some rage at the system. Not that thats a bad thing.

    Not to derail the thread to much but why do you think people post here, like deep down?

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcAwesome View Post
    I completely understand what you are saying, but I still disagree. Especially in this case, the op was clearly looking to gain some validation and to vent some rage at the system. Not that thats a bad thing.

    Not to derail the thread to much but why do you think people post here, like deep down?
    sense of community and to get support for the ab/dl/ic, gay, furry, etc, side of their life. But the people I admire here stay for the conversations outside of all of that sort of stuff..

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    sense of community and to get support for the ab/dl/ic, gay, furry, etc, side of their life. But the people I admire here stay for the conversations outside of all of that sort of stuff..
    Maybe we should start a thread about this? Because i could talk for hours about what motivates people and how aware they are of those motivations. But well since we are already talking about it here i guess ill be a jerk and leave it to a mod to decide

    Anyway everythin you said is right and i agree with but if we take a closer look at what you said we can see that your three points back up my arguement.

    So sense of community, when you're apart of a community you feel like you part of something bigger, and if you are apart of a community that generaly means you are accepted as part of that community. So being part of something bigger and being accepted will make you feel valid and empowered.

    When you get support from people they tend to tell you that its ok to be yourself so again you will be validated and empowered to keep being yourself.

    When you converse with people you will start to feel accepted if people are responding to what you say, when people agree with your beliefs or opinions you will feel validated and empowered.

    So everything i have been saying is extremely positive, just not to confuse people here, i'm not saying that people only post to get their behinds kissed and to have attention reaped upon them. But what i am saying is if there is something positive in your life, the chances are that the reason why its a positive is because it empowers you. So empowerement and validation are two things that everyone is looking for, but the chances are you are not aware of that, its one of those things thats always there but you probably don't recognise it.

    Anyway if we flip everthing i said it might do a better job of explaining my point.

    So if you are apart of a community and it belittles you and tells you that you aware worthless you will start to feel bad about yourself and will go back into your shell so you wouldnt speak/post much at all.

    If you went to get support for being who you are and people told you that you were wrong for being that way and that you shouldnt be yourself, it would make you feel bad and you probably wouldnt go back, or if you did it would be because they would offer a "cure" and you would go back to try and gain some empowerement from said "cure".

    Conversation is a bit trickier though, if you look at a troll. They get empowerement from flaming people, so they are going out of their way to get a reaction from you so the chances are their arguement is flawed so people will be telling them that they suck and what not but a troll is a good example of negative empowerement. So they are still being empowered just for the wrong reasons.

    Anyway if you take a normal functioning member of society and you put them in a situation where every conversation they have they are being told that they are wrong and their beliefs are flawed. They wouldnt stick around in that situation for too long. Its why people tend not to like no it alls because its hard to have a conflicting opinion with one of them.

    Anyway i could expand alot more on my points but i think that would further derail this thread

Similar Threads

  1. Greetings, new online community!
    By tallbaby in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Apr-2012, 03:31
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-Jan-2011, 18:20
  3. A Dog's Purpose.
    By EmeraldsAndLime in forum Babyfur / Diaperfur
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-Oct-2008, 14:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.