Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP computer advice

Default HP computer advice

Hey guys im finally tired of my win 98 ancient computer I use for work So ive looked up 2 new laptops from HP im looking at and im not very tech savy so ill let those smarter than me advise my decision

HP EliteBook 8570w Mobile Workstation (ENERGY STAR) (B8V81UT) specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products

HP EliteBook 8570w Mobile Workstation (ENERGY STAR) (B8V82UT) specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products

theres are the 2 im looking at the main software ill be using it
    inventor, solidworks, autocad and surfcam/mastercam and also im leaning to stay with HP computers due to through a friend I can get about 700$ off list so ill leave it to you guys.

The second one looks like it packs a bit more power, so out of the two i'd be going with that. Very high end for a laptop, should be perfect for CAD and 3D modelling like you need to do.

if i had to choose one of those two i would actually get the first one. Esepcially if i was you who seems like you will be doing a lot of graphic intensive work just because in my experiences building and fixing computers. Intel doesn't really like to work well with AMD products (unless you really know how to configure them) and they tend to "argue" with each other a lot

The second model with the i7 and the Quadro 2GB is, from my standpoint, much better spec-wise.
    AutoCad and Inventor Fusion can run easily and smoothly on the i7 machine. Not sure about Solidworks. I have a lower spec CPU laptop that can run it (not sure about graphics. I had GTX 560M on a G74SX). Smooth as butter.
    Don't worry about core clock rate because modern CAD apps will take advantage of multicore systems.
    And make sure you get a good (preferably wired) mouse with a good wheel button

Quote Originally Posted by wasntme View Post
    The second model with the i7 and the Quadro 2GB is, from my standpoint, much better spec-wise.
    AutoCad and Inventor Fusion can run easily and smoothly on the i7 machine. Not sure about Solidworks. I have a lower spec CPU laptop that can run it (not sure about graphics. I had GTX 560M on a G74SX). Smooth as butter.
    Don't worry about core clock rate because modern CAD apps will take advantage of multicore systems.
    And make sure you get a good (preferably wired) mouse with a good wheel button

yup i use a space explorer 3d mouse to navigate solidworks i ended up getting the i7 version ordered yesterday and delivered this morning about to do the initial boot up and of course pics or it didnt happen

also a note im really pleased with the computer but also its much better made then consumer model you find at frys bestbuy and such the hinges case are Aluminum and the whole computer dosent have that cheap plasticly feel to it all in all im liking the laptop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3024.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	14551  

EliteBooks are what I consider "business class" laptop computers that have better processing power than even gaming laptops. (and the price point shows it!) I know a few professionals that will use netbooks for work and all I have to say about netbooks are that they are so under-spec'd that you can't even run a spreadsheet smoothly. Much less LabView or PowerPoint!
    Anyways, what you bought is in the extra-high end, the best of the best.
    I checked the benchmarks for the processor and they were stunning! Faster than MOST desktops!
    I've always liked the build quality of HP notebooks, though. Always well designed and durable. The newer consumer-end laptops are great! My dad bought a dv7 and my school updated to HP Ultrabooks (ENVYs). The newer metal-clad HP notebooks are some of the best looking on the market.

The benchmarks are what really sold me on this computer and I didnt want 2 desktops and laptop between work home school so settled for this laptop and im amazed so far, I got solidworks and surfcam and a few others installed and the speed its Amazing words really dont describe it I dont care much for style of a computer but this one has the fit and finish of swiss watch anyone looking for a real powerful laptop at a good price this is it

pamperchu

You picker 2 very good laptops that will easily last 10 years, so I would say get the i7.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuei View Post
    Intel doesn't really like to work well with AMD products (unless you really know how to configure them) and they tend to "argue" with each other a lot
    Bullshit I say. My i5 and amd/ati 7870 work with each other just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Bullshit I say. My i5 and amd/ati 7870 work with each other just fine.
    Every time I have worked on a computer with AMD and Intel together I have run into nothing but problems. But hey. if they work great for you thats all that matters