Thread: technology

Lightbulb technology

does any one here like to take apart stuff and use it for other things... well i do i love to use what ever technology i can get my hands on then once tired of it i would make it into something else. for instance this summer i went to a yard sale and bought an old r2d2 toy and a broken RC car, i took apart the r2d2 and hollowed it out the used my dremill for making necessary cuts. then i took apart the RC car and made a controller unit i used an old vex controller as my board then un-soldiered and used the motors and the led's for my r2d2 i then hooked up my HD cam and added it to the main light on the top of r2 and though it looked like crap i had a working autonomous r2d2 unit that also worked with the vex transmitter and any spectrum unit. i would love to hear of any stories that any of you may have that has to do with mechatronics and robotics or technology in general. also i looking for an idea for my next big build if any one has anything to suggest and i build it i maybe could post a video or pics if its allowed.

I like your story. It sounds exactly like something I would do. Every time I see something, broken or otherwise, I always find myself thinking about how else it could be used. When I was younger, I would take everything apart to see how it worked. I have a large box of many different parts that I have pilfered from different things to use in projects.

I've been tearing stuff apart to see how it works and putting it together in new ways since I was two. I'm 53 now and you would not beleave the collection I have. Tinkering is a skill that has sevved me well through the years.

Greencat5

Well I have an incredible knack for fixing things, so I can take things apart, and always put it back together correctly. I suppose I probably could do that... If only I had the parts.

I used to take components off boards, put them back on, then see if the thing still worked when I was learning to solder. Really good practice!

I don't specifically seek stuff out to destroy, but if I'm throwing out old gear I tend to rip it apart (why the heck not.. ). I also tend to keep things like stepper motors, transformers, and led displays.

I use to take every thing apart, but now I mostly just do programming. However after reading your post I want to take apart my old r2d2 and see what true toys are inside it lol.
    Something I'd really love to build would be a hologram. I've heard people making their own, but that its complex and parts are usually expensive and delicate. I have no idea where to even get plans for such a device though, it would be an epic achievement to build.

I love to take things apart, however I only do it to things that are broken/need fixing because I'm scared that I'll break it.

I've always thought it sounded like an interesting hobby, but I could never figure out how to get anything to work after I had taken it apart. The most I ever did build was a complete circuit on a circuit board that had a light and a switch on it. That was in some technology class in high school.

I don't specifically seek stuff out to destroy, but if I'm throwing out old gear I tend to rip it apart (why the heck not.. ). I also tend to keep things like stepper motors, transformers, and led displays.

I use to take every thing apart, but now I mostly just do programming.
    i dont look for things to take apart but i always keep my eyes open for new projects or ideas for projects, like recently i made the tv-b-gone from make magazine but i didnt spend money on those parts i had them already and i program too i programed the chip and added som parts to make it look better like leds that light from red to yellow to green to show when i found the right code. and made a cool case out of it if you guys like i could post some ideas that you could do provided you have the parts...