Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No longer a teenager.

Default No longer a teenager.

Hello all!!

Last week, I turned 20 years old. It is a big stepping stone in my life. Most people would consider 18 or 21 more important for their life, but I think 20 means more to me.

Being 20 represents so much more because you are no longer labeled as a teenager. I realized I was a TB/DL around age 12-ish, have grown with this part of my life through my teenage years, and have now officially become a AB.

I will still identify best as being a little kid, and know that that will always be in my heart, but this age is really bringing me down and back into reality. As a teenager, I feel as though being a DL or TB for that matter is somehow more acceptable than as an adult.

Might I be able to get any words of wisdom from some of the older audience as to how to cope with identifying as an AB, and not feel as though this part of their life is so taboo??

Never grow up. You will grow old but you never have to grow up. I'm 25 and I know exactly what you mean. I don't identify myself as ab unless someone asks because I feel like an 18 year old, I prance about like a teenager. As far as I'm concerned my age is just a number that I decided should have no bearing on how I feel. If anything it's more acceptable to be a dl/ab as an adult because you are responsible for yourself which means you can do what you want when you want basically you can be a child without a cerfew.

I think the TB label is unnecessary in the first place. It's a community standard and I know I'm not going to win this one but I feel obliged to mention it now and again. We don't use a label for teen DLs. There are obvious differences between adults and teens but in my mind both are infinitely far away from being babies and the one label suffices. With that in mind, I'd just put it into your general musings about moving past being a teen in general.

Since I didn't have access to an ADISC as a teen or anyone at all to talk to about it, I found my teen years were my least accepting. I got much more comfortable with it as I got older than I had been. It doesn't matter what age you are. If you're not a baby, wearing diapers for pleasure, sucking on a pacifier, etc. is all weird behavior...and that's okay.

Each stage in life has its own special ways. you can enjoy every stage.
    it is not that diferent. just enjoy it.

Transitioning from TB to AB was difficult for me too because I was always so connected with my little side I hated growing up. I felt like I shouldn't be associating with the sites or groups that I was anymore, even-though I wasn't an active poster. It is really just a label but a difficult one to change, Some keep TB until 21. The fact of the matter is getting a year older is not making any magical difference in who you are. I am now 31 and it feels funny to say that, because inside I am the same person I have always been. I am still "little" inside and still have "little" emotions and a paci and plushies and so on. I am who I am and a number is not going to change that. There are many ABs that are much older than me and they are no more taboo than you or I. the fact of the matter is we are this way and it's ok. It's just a matter of who you want to share that side of you with.

Happy Belated Birthday by the way.

i am 19 i consider my self a tb/ab meaning i can relate to tb but i have the ability to be ab as well

I considered myself to be no longer a teenager at 18, yes 18 and 19 both end in teen but you're legally an adult at 18 so that is when I considered my self to be an adult so turning 20 felt no different from being 19 and 3 months on nothing has changed. Don't always act like an adult but I do what I feel like.

When I turned 20, it was the worst day of my life. Birthdays had always been fun, but not that one, and for the very reason that I no long was a teenager. I identified better with younger teen friends, so leaving that world bothered me. No one can stop the clock and a wise person begins to see the advantages of each stage of life. They really do exist.

I've always seen 18 and older as no longer being a teenager. While technically the number ends in "teen" while you're 18 and 19, legally and functionally you are an adult. That is entirely different than being a teenager, which is effectively and societally little more than a proxy for adolescence. I half agree with Trevor that there is little need for the TB label, as I find the AB label more than suitably covers the fact that one is not a legitimate baby. The only use for it I can see is the acknowledgement that a teen (again, proxy for adolescent as per the common societal meaning) faces different challenges as an ABDL than does an adult.

I worried about this a bit as well. I'm 19 right now and my birthday is in April. I'm hoping it's kind of like the transition from 17 to 18. For me, I was really excited about it, and also really nervous. It's supposed to be a huge change, a really important time in your life, right? But once I finally got there... it wasn't really that different. Life continued on like normal, and really I didn't get treated that differently by anyone. Several of my friends who are older than me had said the same thing, but I didn't really believe them before it happened.

And then when I went off to college... several of my friends left the year before me, and I was amazed at how well they seemed to be taking it. They all acted as they always had; they didn't seem that nervous or anything. When the time came for me to start applying for scholarships and schools and whatnot, it was little nerve-wracking, and once I got in to a school, meeting all the requirements and getting aid and then eventually going to orientation and moving in was one of the scariest times of my life. But now that I'm here, it's almost boring.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that I hope (and think) it will be like these other transitions: a little scary while it's actually happening (which could last anywhere from a few days to a few years) as no longer being a teenager 'becomes real', but then once you're on the other side not really a problem.