Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RC stuff

Default RC stuff

I have taken up a hobby that isn't to known of anymore. I have an RC boat and two mini RC helicopter. Both helicopters are junk because they can only be charged so much before the battery dies in them.

Who else has taken up this dieing hobby?

I want to eventually operate gas powered RC's. That gets more expensive but is more skilled than battery powered RC's.

if you get enough batteries that you can have enough charging while you're using one, you could just land and switch the batteries. i used to belong to an rc plane club and a lot of the older guys did this.
    i'd LOVE to get back into it, but it's expensive.

gas powered is messy, heavier, louder... less places to fly (noise complaints), expensive crashes. probably better to stay with electric

pamperchu

I have worked on them before so I know how to fix radio controlled cars and planes. When I get my ham license I will get a small plane and with a camera and have a TV on the ground. It will work like a spy plane.

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    gas powered is messy, heavier, louder... less places to fly (noise complaints), expensive crashes. probably better to stay with electric
    Well gas powered planes not sooo much but gas powered boats, trucks, cars, ect

Ive got a gas powered piper cub that i just rebuilt, and it last flew wjen i was like 2. My dad crashed it bad and we have spent a lot of time to get it flying again. All made out of wood and fabric with an outdated saito 65 4 stroke engine.and yeah they are expensive to crash, so stick with the cheaper electric untill you get good at it before taking a nitro out for a spin..

pamperchu

It would be fun to build a gas/electric RC car, You use a gas engine to generate electricity to charge the battery's and capacitors, then use an electric motor to make it drive. you could get crazy torque out of an electric motor and would be able to get some major Gs

I'm just now building my first quadcopter for FPV (already have my ham license for the needed freqs). From what I understand battery tech has really improved in recent years so less people are using gas (just what I've heard). I wouldn't say it's "dieing", in fact congress recently passed legislation requiring the FAA to make extra allowances for sUAS's (small unmanned aerial systems) as they integrate unmanned systems into the NAS (National Airspace System). Are you familiar with RC Groups? I'm pretty sure they're the largest RC forum around and I've already got a lot of great info from them

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmon View Post
    Well gas powered planes not sooo much but gas powered boats, trucks, cars, ect
    oh. 100% agree with you there gas powered rc land/water vehicles are a friggin blast, no question about that ^^

As a kid I used to build my own gas powered airplanes, but they were tether controlled. You'd get dizzy going in circles, but it was a lot of fun. I always wanted to try radio controlled planes, and I thought I might do that some day when I retired. My dad used to fly real planes.

I have been flying RC for about four years. I only have a couple of planes, but I have more fun making modifications for them including a camera mount, and a drop module.