Thread: Career and possibly life advice needed.

Default Career and possibly life advice needed.

First off, let me say that I wasn't sure if I should put this in Mature or EC forums, so whichever fits....

Anyhow, today I come to you looking for clarity and sage advice for a real sticky situation I'm in regarding career and possibly life choices.
    This morning I put in a resignation notice at work, as I'm looking to shift out of one job and look for something different; which is where the dilemma comes in.

On one hand, my boss is doing everything he can to keep me with the company, and he mentioned a lot of items I agree with; such as having a pretty solid job history there, being a valuable asset to the company, being the "go to guy" etc etc etc. He is the kind of boss that sometimes does what's best for the bottom line, but he also appears to care, which is hard to find in a boss.

On the other hand, my own mother is riding my back to get me to quit as she's concerned for my "physical well being" working for the company, especially after a recent on the job injury...which is rare but it does happen no matter who's working the kind of job I have. Now, I can also agree with her point of view because I am possibly at burnout stage.

One of the main reasons I haven't quit yet, and struggling with what to do next, is in essence, the state of the job market and how stagnant it is. Especially for someone like me that doesn't have any college degrees, any trade degrees such as an ASE certification etc....basically an everyday guy that has a high school diploma and has done nothing but blue collar low wage jobs. I've got bills to pay, and as much of a joke as my paychecks are, they do pay the bills, so if I up and quit and it takes a long time to find another job, then I really foresee something of a negative outcome. I'm also looking for a different job, but reading the papers and checking online listings and just keeping my eyes open for street signs it's highly discouraging because a lot of the ads are for either telemarketing jobs, scam work from home jobs or class A-CDL (18 wheeler) truck driver jobs, which I doubt I could pass the physicals for the CDL license because of my p**spoor eyesight.

Another reason why I'm still with the same job for almost eight years is that it's a job that fits me quite well. It's night shift/third shift/graveyard shift and I don't have to deal with a direct manager hovering over my shoulder all day. I can come in, do my job, if everything's going right make a decent product; most of what I do is behind the scenes where I don't have to deal with the general population unless I'm driving the delivery route...which I can handle with a smile and a 'good morning' when I show up.

Now, while this is a good setup, after seven and a half years it becomes monotonous, as in wake up; go to work; do this do that get this done; clean up; go home; sleep; repeat. I don' really mind this per se because it's familiar, it's the routine I'm used to; however, again after a while of it I've kind of become bored with it.

All in all, I just don't know what to do. The storm in my mind over all this is raging something fierce and it's got me unsettled, like I'm walking on a tightrope without a safety net.
    Any advice or input or even hindsight would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripped View Post
    or even hindsight
    Shoulda done the job hunt _before_ quitting.

Either way, I personally would say don't beat yourself up. A job is a big chunk of your life. If you arn't happy.. even if everything is aying you _should_ be happy but arn't .. time to find something new.

I also think this happens to most people at some point in their careers at all levels in the job market. I quit a fairly good gig at a large company where I was doing well to take a job at a small (software) shop because going in every morning was getting harder and I spent half the day trying to get motivated to do something productive for the other half of the day. A lot of people called me an idiot (including myself), but if your arn't happy, you arn't happy.. regardless of how irrational.

It's definitely an employers job market out there. For every one job there are hundreds if not thousands of applicants for just one single job. They can be as picky as they want and all we can do is hope we're the right fit for the job. Times are getting tough. I've been told I should get any job I can get. Well with me being partially disabled there are certain jobs I cannot do so there's no point in wasting my time applying for jobs I know I won't be able to do. I think you just have to do what makes you happy whether you earn money or not. If you do what you love the money will follow. I understand the whole bill situation. I've had to cut out driving from my life for awhile. There's a pretty good public transportation system where I live so I just use that and saves money so I can spend it on other things besides insurance, gas, and car repairs. The way I look at it is none of us are getting off this Earth alive whether we have no money or all the money in the world. There's no point in stressing over money because it is not everything.

I agree with BoundCodec: Don't quit the old job until you have found a new one. It's pretty common practice for people to look around and apply for new jobs while they're still employed in their old job. I'm unsure about blue collar jobs, but in white collar jobs it's standard practice for employers to have to wait 3-6 months until a new employee becomes free from their previous job (e.g. I could quite every quarter with a 6 weeks' notice). If you can't find any interesting new job, you simply keep your old one until an application is successful.
    If you quit before you find a new job you're putting yourself under stress of having to find a job to pay your bills. You may end up with a job you'll like even less, and it's sounding like you're not completely opposed to what you're doing now but would like some improvements. So what kind of strategy is being desperate to accept any job to pay your bills? Improving things take time.

As for the job market: I've not heard too many positive things about the American job market, and with even skilled people being out of a job, it must be even harder for people with no significant degrees to show as the people with degrees will be desperate enough to go for jobs they're overqualified for. Hell, even in our job market (where the umemployment rate has been steadily declining even through the crisis) it's hard for people without significant degrees to find jobs while the companies have been soaking up any person with half a degree lately before the big retirement wave hits in a few years and the employers will bash each others' heads in over the few remaining employees on the market.

Tough call I've been in an SOS (same old shit) job for the last 22 years. Time in the same company has some advantages, 4 weeks vacation time, those small % rases add up to larger $ amounts and no boss dares cross me. The down side is I hit the glass celing long ago and will never reach a higher position as well as frequent bouts of job burnout. If the job market was better I'd be tempted to move on but 12 years til retirement and I'm just riding it out. I agree with the other posters, Keep an eye out for a better job while working the one youve got. Your still young yet.

Please don't quit UNTIL you have another job. In your post, you were absolutely right about the job market, and in your position, without qualifications on your CV, unfortunately you will be passed over. Also, if you have been working the same job for x years, then it is likely any potential employers will see you as stale goods. However bad your life is now, it will be worse if you quit. Take a holiday, if you can. Some time to clear your head. Go see the country. That's what I do when stressed.

I think everyone else has nailed it: Start looking for a new gig, but don't quit your present gig until you've landed a new one. When I decided I was going to go back to school for my master's degree, I had applied in January and found out I was accepted in March. I didn't tell my employer anything at all about anything until June, which was still two months' notice, since I left in August.

As for your mother, just tell her that you've been looking for a different gig, but you can't hardly quit your present gig yet since you still have to make rent and pay the bills. "I've been looking, so hopefully I can find something soon. I'd like to leave this job, but I got bills to pay, you know? I appreciate your concern, though, so if you hear of something that might work out for me, please do let me know eh?"

ditto to everything so far.

I'll add that, paradoxically, many employers won't even interview someone who is out of work - they want people who are currently working.

I'll address the "logic" as best I can: Current management theory says you should turn over at least 10% of your work force every year by getting rid of the bottom performers. Therefore, if someone is unemployed, they are probably someone elses dregs, and certainly not a top performer. Doesn't matter if they are or not, its a numbers game. In a job market as bad as this one, why waste time interviewing the unemployed when you have plenty of already-employed job seekers to choose from.