Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help building

Default Help building

Ok ADISC I'm thinking about entering the world of pc gaming and computer building. Please keep in mind that I'm COMPLETELY NEW to building computers. So I've been reading up on what I need and have selected the following components.

1:*CPU : intel i5 2500k

2: Motherboard :*asrock p67 pro

3: RAM : 8gb *DDR3 Kingston value

4: Power supply : *750watt (I'm planning on cutting costs here)

5: Graphics card -BLANK- I want a card that will work well with the CPU without bottlenecking either.

6: Case -BLANK-

7: Optical drive -BLANK- (DVD only)

8: Storage -BLANK- (500gb to start off with)

Can anyone tell me how well these components will work together and help me fill in the blanks.

Any advise for the actual build is appreciated as well.

My budget is $1500 NZD (what I've selected so far comes to $540.52 NZD)

StripesTheSkunk

The MoBo, processor, and ram seem fine. The most you would spend on a graphics card is $500 USD (Of course, there are many perfectly fine cards for less than that. So, probably $300-$400 USD). Because there are so many graphics cards out there, I really can't say to go and buy a specific one. The Power Supply you selected should be fine, it doesn't look like you are running too much stuff, just make sure everything will run on a PSU of 750W (Probably $75-$100 USD). Expect to pay about $150-200 USD on a DVD drive and 500 GB HDD. As for the case... whatever looks nice and fits your MoBo well! I think that $100-$150 would work. I would also suggest an SSD for system stuff, and perhaps more HDD space if you have enough money left. If you buy these items on sale, you could probably be able to do this. The estimated prices I gave should get you decent results (I tried to give suggestions that top your budget). In USD, you currently have $795 left, so if you buy a product in the price ranges above, expect to pay somewhere in between the low and high prices on each item.

Also, have you considered the cost of buying other internal parts (Fans, Cables, Expansion Cards, etc) and an OS, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, and other things?

Have fun!

PS: Everything should work fine with each other. I have seen several people with the processor and MoBo combo you want, just make sure to get a graphics card that agrees with the rest of the computer.

Aren't DVD drives wickedly cheap now? And haven't hard drives come down since it's been more than a year since that big evil flood that made the prices explode? They have in my neck of the woods anyway, and I'm about 10000 kilometers further away from the manufacturing countries than New Zealand is. After a bit of checking, I guess they really are a bit pricey still in NZ - though I don't know what the exchange rate is like. Here's a 500 GB for $108(shudders)
    Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 Hard Disk Dri : Ascent Technology 399382

Here's a DVD drive at a reasonable price: ($59)
    LG Electronics GH22LP21 DVD Writer, DVD 16 : Ascent Technology 397632

Here's a spectacular video card that will run circles around anything else in the price range (as far as I can tell) :Asus Radeon HD7850 2GB.. .heck I want one now.
    Asus HD7850-DC2-2GD5, Radeon HD 7850 Video : Ascent Technology 404006

I'm not sure why you'd need a 750 watt PSU, nor why you'd say that you were going to cheap out on this vital piece of equipment... why not get a decent 650 watt model? It will more than suffice for what it sounds like you're doing... cheaping out in my opinion is using the default power supply that comes with a case, which I learned the hard way, is just plain silly.
    Here's one that sounds good, I'm not a PSU nerd, but it has a 12 volt rail and a 5 year warranty
    Cooler Master GX-550W, 660W ATX PSU, Activ : Ascent Technology 405665

If you can swing the cash, I highly recommend an SSD for your system. I'm using a cheap OCZ model that runs really well for me - I've read some scary things about other people's experience with the brand though... here's an Intel that's not too bad:
    Intel 330 Series Solid State Drive, 120GB, : Ascent Technology 404257

Just some ideas - I'm glad I live in Canada though, I'd go broke trying to build a system in NZ.

pamperchu

Yah dvd-rw drives can be had for $22, you should go for a bluray burner as they are only $64.

Also don't get value ram, Find 8GB of good RAM, Made by samsung. Samsung makes the best chips and they will be very stable.

The last computer i helped my friend build turned out awesome. He put in 30 terabytes of storage and and12 tb of ram. He asked me if i could build him a custom case because no other case could hold all the extra components. He wanted to go retro so i built him a wooden case that looked like an old Apple 1. His friends were in shock when they saw the ancient looking masterpiece. Lets see Apple do that!!!

This should help when you finally get the parts in.

Anyways I will be putting this together in early or late afternoon, as its due to arrive sometime on monday. Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

the GPU is really good for modern gaming at 1920 x 1080. I suspect mine will last at least 4 years barring any hardware failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post

the GPU is really good for modern gaming at 1920 x 1080. I suspect mine will last at least 4 years barring any hardware failures.
    Verrrrry nice system, particularly that video card (added to my list of potential video card upgrades). I think 4 years is probably the best anyone can expect such a piece of hardware to last and still be workable - not sure how the i5 will fare during that time, but people are still successfully using Core 2 Quads and whatnot for gaming, so I guess it's feasible.

Thanks for sharing that video too - That's the dude that used to do videos for TigerDirect isn't it? I loved his vids, and this one's no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Verrrrry nice system, particularly that video card (added to my list of potential video card upgrades). I think 4 years is probably the best anyone can expect such a piece of hardware to last and still be workable - not sure how the i5 will fare during that time, but people are still successfully using Core 2 Quads and whatnot for gaming, so I guess it's feasible.

Thanks for sharing that video too - That's the dude that used to do videos for TigerDirect isn't it? I loved his vids, and this one's no exception.
    im not sure, but his channel got a shot out from newegg so I've watched a lot of his videos since they. he's pretty munny and WAY better then Lockergnome. Chris Prillo is such a douchebag now IMHO, specifically when he yells for little to no reason and always without reason.

Quote Originally Posted by huskvarna View Post
    Ok ADISC I'm thinking about entering the world of pc gaming and computer building. Please keep in mind that I'm COMPLETELY NEW to building computers. So I've been reading up on what I need and have selected the following components.

1:*CPU : intel i5 2500k

2: Motherboard :*asrock p67 pro

3: RAM : 8gb *DDR3 Kingston value

4: Power supply : *750watt (I'm planning on cutting costs here)

5: Graphics card -BLANK- I want a card that will work well with the CPU without bottlenecking either.

6: Case -BLANK-

7: Optical drive -BLANK- (DVD only)

8: Storage -BLANK- (500gb to start off with)

Can anyone tell me how well these components will work together and help me fill in the blanks.

Any advise for the actual build is appreciated as well.

My budget is $1500 NZD (what I've selected so far comes to $540.52 NZD)
    In my opinion I wouldn't go with asrock. My friend got one and it sucked. I've built 5 computers now with Asus mobo's and I would say they much better.

I would recommend this mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel.
    Also you don't need a 750 watt PSU. That's overkill even if you get a good graphics card. You only need 750+ if your going to get 2 or more graphic cards. 550-650w is fine.

For a case I would recommend COOLER MASTER HAF mid-sized. The HAF is pretty good in keeping your computer cool.

When choosing a graphics card it really depends on what you want to use it for. For gaming I would recommend a nvidia 500-600 series but if you want to be on a budget, you may want to consider AMD graphic cards.

Optical drives I would recommend any that are not sony. (Bad experiences with Sony).

Storage you should get something that is 7200 RPM or greater. I personally like the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (I own 7 of these, no failures so far).

Hope this helps happy building.

Alrite thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've revised the list.

1:*CPU : intel i5 2500k $297.85

2: Motherboard :*Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel $188.95

3: RAM : 8gb *DDR3 Kingston value $55.91

4: Power supply :*Aywun A1-650-Elite 650W $74.75

5: Graphics card :*Asus Radeon HD7850-DC2-2GD5 2GB $333.81

6: Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 $169.44

7: Optical drive: undecided

8: Storage:*Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 32MB 1TB $169.00

Total: $1189.71

I've added the prices for each component so you can see where the money is going. Opinions are appreciated.

Edit: remember all prices are NZD.