Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Ham Radio

pamperchu

Default First Ham Radio

I got my first ham radio today. I traded a server for it so basically free. It's a Yaesu VX-6R. Anyone else a ham?

Here's a picture of my ham radio, GSM cellphone, CDMA cellphone

Quote Originally Posted by pamperchu View Post
    I got my first ham radio today. I traded a server for it so basically free. It's a Yaesu VX-6R. Anyone else a ham?

Here's a picture of my ham radio, GSM cellphone, CDMA cellphone
    Wow pamperchu, you are on a real retro gig. Back in the 50's when I was a little kid, my uncle was big into ham radio. He worked at McGuire Air force base in communications, so I suppose ham radio was an extension of his job. Ham, in a way, was the first internet. With it, people talked to complete strangers all over the world, because the signal bounced off the clouds. Sometimes you could find a person you had developed a friendship with, and other nights you couldn't because of the atmospheric conditions. It was the beginning of the brave new world. Generations later, I'm talking to you pamperchu via internet, but it was these pioneers who paved the way for us.

As a side note, my aunt and uncle, along with their two children, my cousins, lived right across the street from me, so I was often at their house, playing with my cousins who were close to my age. I often saw his equipment, which of course was the old tube stuff.

It's also one of the last great geeky hobbies. I mean it's literally a whole spectrum set aside for us (if properly licensed) to screw around in!

they say the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked... so, what exactly is a ham radio?

pamperchu

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    they say the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked... so, what exactly is a ham radio?

Amateur radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've been meaning to get get licensed and start using Ham radios for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I often saw his equipment, which of course was the old tube stuff.
    I loved that stuff. My dad still has all of his tube hi-fi gear, and still uses it. When I got into ham radio, a nearby ham showed me around his "shack." He'd built a lot of his own gear, and one of the coolest pieces was this enormous, refrigerator-sized power amplifier for his transmitter. The power supply inside used mercury vapor tubes, and when the guy would get on the air, these tubes would fill with glowing blue mist that would pulsate in step with the guy's voice. I was mesmerized! So cool.

My first rig was a Heathkit HW-16 80/40/15 CW rig. Been an amateur extra class ham since the days that you had to pass the 20WPM code test.

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    Been an amateur extra class ham since the days that you had to pass the 20WPM code test.
    As have I, but I was still glad to see the code tests go. CW (Morse code, for the non-ham observers) has been rightly reduced in stature to a fun anachronism. Of course, it's still cool to show up to a Field Day contest location with your favorite key and have everybody hurry you to the nearest radio! CW is the only mode I do anymore. I spend my whole day yapping in the usual way, so I like to give my yapper a break at night. Plus, I can sip a Scotch and run the Bencher at the same time.