Thread: ABDL advertising

Default ABDL advertising

I do random Internet searches from time to time using the googlez when I'm bored, sometimes I just wanna check out what's new in the ABDL world or see if any new products are on the market. I don't know if anybody has noticed, but the first Adsense result that came up in google for ABDL was a link directly to the depend website. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348356702.864571.jpg 
Views:	1241 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	14229

Is this Google just matching based on web search and association or is this KC's marketing department directly advertising to ABDLs? If so, this is really cool as a consumer it means that they've stated they want our money and that we carry weight as a buying group. It's a long way from adult sized goodnites but hey, it's a start. Maybe I'm just crazy and read too much into these things.

What does everybody think?

Well, that's a good question. There was a lot of talk on the news a few months ago about big advertisers paying Google to having their product placement moved to the top. That then asks your question, do they want their product to reach AB/DL's as well. My guess is that in this situation, the search engine did it, but who knows. It used to be that frequency of searches and hits moved the product placement upwards.

Google uses some incredibly complex algorithms to work out what to show and where. These are based upon previous searches, browsing patterns, link ratios and so on. That means that if lots of people search for "ABDL", then later search for "Depends", it'll make that association and maybe determine which adverts to show based upon it. Likewise, if a lot of websites that show up for "ABDL" have links to "Depends" retailers it'll pick up on that and factor it in.

That doesn't mean that someone somewhere has recognised us as a potential market (though I'm sure that they're undoubtably aware of our existence). It might however mean that searches for "ABDL" start showing up in diaper manufacturers web referral statistics. If the number is high enough that could lead to them taking note of it.

Default ABDL advertising

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Google uses some incredibly complex algorithms to work out what to show and where. These are based upon previous searches, browsing patterns, link ratios and so on. That means that if lots of people search for "ABDL", then later search for "Depends", it'll make that association and maybe determine which adverts to show based upon it. Likewise, if a lot of websites that show up for "ABDL" have links to "Depends" retailers it'll pick up on that and factor it in.

That doesn't mean that someone somewhere has recognised us as a potential market (though I'm sure that they're undoubtably aware of our existence). It might however mean that searches for "ABDL" start showing up in diaper manufacturers web referral statistics. If the number is high enough that could lead to them taking note of it.
    I figured as much, and you're probably right. Maybe if we look at it from a different perspective, if I was incontinent and I saw that Depend was advertising to ABDLs, even not directly, and I figured out what ABDL was I think I would be kind of insulted if KC was associated with a fetish/paraphilia. If I was IC I probably would think that people who choose to wear diapers are just nuts. I probably wouldn't be too happy. I would complain. I think they (diaper brands) are more aware than they let on even though IC sufferers vastly outnumber ABDLs, so it is possible that it was intentionally done by KC, or maybe not.

If anything I think they would want to distance themselves from being associated with ABDLs unless they feel that perhaps ICs are generally an older population which may not be Internet savvy enough to make a ruckus, or they don't care who they advertise to. In either case, I think they are more aware of us than they let on. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that this was intentionally done by KCs marketing department.

At the end of the day, adult incontinence products are an embarrassing thing to talk about, however, their recent advertising campaign (see Great American Try-On) seems to have been a success. Perhaps they are trying to destigmatize the IC community and downplay what is traditionally associated with embarrassment and shame (no offence to IC folks, of course). Advertising to all walks of life including ABDLs could be part of that shift in philosophy.

If the risk dictates that the possible benefits outweigh the risks then surely they would do it intentionally, not with TV or a magazine campaign out in the open but do it where ABDLs converge and older folks traditionally do not. (You're in the former category, Dogboy, still cool in our books).

As a huge company, calculating risk and reward is bread and butter stuff; if they want money they are going to try their damn hardest to get it. I'm sure they know us better than we know ourselves with regards to our purchasing power as legitimate consumers.

Google, Yahoo, Facebook and other sites are using the latest internet marketing tools. The internet has become the way of marketing based on a value/research database that you "willingly" signed-up for.

When you sign up for thier "free" service you unknowingly agree to internet activity monitoring. This monitoring is done by data research programs for the purpose of marketing and larger companies now pay for search relults. For example: On Google search the premium customers are encased in a yellow-orange box at the top of the search page.

In short if you are logged into any of your accounts while browsing your keystrokes are being used for marketing purposes and your subsequent searches are based on your browsing history.

Out of curosity I typed in ABDL and up came ad for Bambino diapers on top of list.

Quote Originally Posted by pldc View Post
    I figured as much, and you're probably right. Maybe if we look at it from a different perspective, if I was incontinent and I saw that Depend was advertising to ABDLs, even not directly, and I figured out what ABDL was I think I would be kind of insulted if KC was associated with a fetish/paraphilia. If I was IC I probably would think that people who choose to wear diapers are just nuts. I probably wouldn't be too happy. I would complain.
    Being IC (albeit considerably younger than the main market demographic for IC folks) I have to disagree with this. I'd never heard of AB/DL before I became IC, and it was only on finding ADISC, while searching for an incontinence forum, that I learned about it. While I don't relate to the AB/fetish side of it, I don't think you're all nuts, and I'm not at all offended by it. I've learned some very valuable things from your collective experience and I'm very happy to be associated with your community.

Some websites use a small textfile called robots.txt that search engines like Google look at whenn someone queries a search. They also look at your previous cookies to determine what you are more apt to click on. This is a basic course on advertising, however; some websites abuse SEO by catching your search and inserting it into the result; such as AskMeFast. This is a way to draw people to their sites.

Your image probably was a legitimately result; but sometimes the results are just outright false. A lot of the "fake" search reseult use italics or bold text to catch your eye too. :P