Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How should the US respond to the attacks in the Middle East?

Default How should the US respond to the attacks in the Middle East?

After hearing what happened in Libya and Egypt, my first reaction was, they have declared war on us. However, it has become clear to me that the overall leaderships of Egypt and Libya were not involved. So now I have a few questions:
    Should we respond with military action, if so, to what degree?

Should the anti-musilm video make a difference in our action? (personally i feel that it was stupid but still within the offender's rights)

Why did we not capture and hold the Al-Zawaheri (sorry for spelling) brothers, they are high up in AQ leadership?

They are attacking what is considered US soil and killed innocent men. Rooftop snipers sound like a good idea to me.

OK I know that many people were angry with the killing of US ambassador but please use your common sense. Whoever attacks the US consulate in Libya(Nothing serious is happen in Egypt) is NOT an officially recognized government. In fact to this date nobody know which faction that attacks US consulate in Libya. So if you decided to use military force it would be hard to explain the justification. Afterall Egypt is one of the largest armed forces in Mid-East equiped with 2.000 US made Abrams and Patton oh and 200 US made F-16

OK to be honest the anti-muslim video is not main factor to this violence act. But the anti-muslim video is a "matches" to "lit" this world which I think is giant Tinderbox. If you guys decided to use military force. It would be PR disaster for US government. Obama has spent a million to improve relationship between muslim(Arab) countries. And if you decided to use military force. All that works would be a waste of time.

OK if the Uncle Sam wants to kill Zawahiri it would be peace a cake. Special Forces,UAV,Bombers or anything you want. But the Ayman Al-Zawahiri is proof to be more hard to find(Just like Taliban leader Mullah Omar). Since Zawahiri is an overall commander of Al-Qaeda(Osama Bin Laden although he is an overall leader he handed over Al-Qaeda operational to lower member and he is more like symbol really). So we don't know if he will ever be capture but possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post
    They are attacking what is considered US soil and killed innocent men. Rooftop snipers sound like a good idea to me.
    I can see some problems coming from this, but I generally approve of this idea. As for responding to what actually has happened, full investigation which is clearly whats already going on and proceed from there.

Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    OK I know that many people were angry with the killing of US ambassador but please use your common sense. Whoever attacks the US consulate in Libya(Nothing serious is happen in Egypt) is NOT an officially recognized government.
    Who the hell said it was? No one in this topic, no one on Adisc from what I've seen.

What we *should* do? No idea. Tricky situation.

My first reaction?

"They stormed our embassy and killed the inhabitants"

"... Oh? Send a jet. Napalm our embassy and anyone who happens to be on the grounds. We will no longer have an embassy in that country. This is us giving the land back. They can have it."

Now, what I'd actually do? Well, probably not that

In the end, anyone getting riled up enough to even picket an *embassy* over a gdamn youtube video is very obviously bat shit insane imo. The fewer of those people the better.

Well, the video was made specifically to rile them up, so we'd be pissed at them!

Yeah? Well, mission accomplished. I hope everyone that partook in that dies slowly of cancer. I hope it sincerely and with every fiber of my being.

And, no, by "they" I don't mean Muslims.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyTommy View Post
    After hearing what happened in Libya and Egypt, my first reaction was, they have declared war on us. However, it has become clear to me that the overall leaderships of Egypt and Libya were not involved. So now I have a few questions:
    Should we respond with military action, if so, to what degree?

Should the anti-musilm video make a difference in our action? (personally i feel that it was stupid but still within the offender's rights)

Why did we not capture and hold the Al-Zawaheri (sorry for spelling) brothers, they are high up in AQ leadership?
    this decision is not in my pay-grade.... lol

I was surprised that our embassy was so vulnerable, as were it's occupants. You would think there would have been underground tunnels and safe rooms. This is similar to the airliner hijackings on 9/11, the shock being that the terrorists had such easy access to the pilots. They no longer do.

The video was made by an Egyptian Coptic Christian, now a U. S. resident. The Coptic Christians have been persecuted for many years in Egypt, and even killed, just for being Christian, so that was the reason for the film. I'm not saying that it justifies the film. I'm just saying that was the reason he made it.

I believe we should get out of the Middle East, and become more petroleum and energy independent. The Middle East will never be stable, because they have combined their zealous religious beliefs with their political system, something we should learn from regarding our own political process. It's like we keep trying to turn a great white shark into a fun playful bathtub pet for our children.

Armed forces protecting our consulates sounds like a good idea to me.

How about we remove ourselves from countries we shouldn't be in? It's clear to me the United States is not welcome there so they have every right to be pissed at us and attack the US Embassy. It's time we end these unnecessary wars and allow the Middle East to have some breathing room. They've been war torn for far too long. It's time to bring our troops home and focus on securing our own country first. Once that's done we can openly trade with any nation across the globe and be on good terms instead of making enemies by attacking them for their resources and other political reasons.

I don't think anyone here is going to agree with what I just said but I stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I'm not saying that it justifies the film. I'm just saying that was the reason he made it.
    The film doesn't need any justification. At all.

I think they should make as many more films like that as they can put out. If this sort of reaction is inevitable, then let's just get the whole thing out of the way now instead of dragging it out piecemeal imo.

The "film" was inane, but it needs no justification.

I do agree with us getting out of the middle east though. That's a problem that will likely solve itself.