Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work Ethics and Ipads

Default Work Ethics and Ipads

I work at an elementary school doing tech support, and we have a bunch of Ipads. Well until recently we only had 3 per class room, and 4 classes pr grade pr account, so we had about 12 ipads pr account, and when we bought an app we would put it on all nine. According to what i understand of apple, is that they only intended for no more than 10 devices on one personal account, which is what we use. This doesn't personally bother me much, because I'm not a super stickler to the rules type of person. However now we have a bunch more ipads, and will have a classroom set for both the 4th and 5th grade, which means about 100 ipads pr account, kinda stretching it.

Not only does it mean that we are stretching the license a little far on any apps that we buy, but it also means, it is a pain in the neck to try and set them all up, because after a total of ten ipads are backed up off of the cloud then it gives you a message saying that you have done your maximum number of backups within 90 days. Which means I have to either load each app by hand or off of my computer with the apps already loaded into itunes, which also takes a very long time.

I expressed concern that it wasn't exactly close to legitimate on what we were doing, and the principal (granted that i understand and agree somewhat with what he is saying), complained with how much it would cost to pay for a volume set, even with the %50 discount after 20 purchases, vs just buying one app for the account. (Also note that it is currious that it would even be cheaper than volume if we were to just make a bunch of accounts and put ten ipads on each)

Anyway, we agreed that we would just go with the set up we have right now, and then move over to volume next year, so we can have money to get class sets of ipads for the 4th grade too, but it just feels like it is getting ridiculous to me now.

I think the principal is awesome so i don't want to out him, which means i can't talk to my dad about it because he is in the school district administration. But i also don't want to see our school get into some serious trouble over it, and i also wouldn't mind it if I were able to set up all those ipads legitimately thus making the whole set up process take less time.

...why are 4th and 5th graders given iPads? o.O

Not to get on a soapbox about computers in education but, well, there is a reason why you see a whole lot more laptops in freshman classes than in senior classes at university.

The set up you guys have is definitively illegitimate. That's not a good thing...

They should really be using a MDM solution to keep them all updated and keep track of licenses. (mobile device management) Many companies offer this to the school or enterprise like Absolute Manage MDM, even Dell MDM etc. But at the very least in the app store "Apple Configurator" is a solution to deploy to multiple ipads. And depending on the applications installed, they may have specific licence agreements with your school for the number of devices that your school owns that you dont know about. But in any case, that's probably not your job to worry about it or you would know it was your job to worry about it.

Man I wish we had ipads when I was in school. I remember having dos mode educational applications back in first grade. Good ole green letters on black background.

Sometimes the introduction of technology at young age can have negative impacts though. I remember the hillbilly school my little brother went to did not do a good job with teaching them math. They spoiled them with calculators at an early grade and kept it up to the point that some students didn't know how to multiply or divide or understand what it meant. Sadly, I'm not talking about this just affecting elementary school aged students but actually affecting students up to high school. We had to actually teach my little brother how to do simple math when he was in the 9th grade because the system failed so terribly. I'm glad I did not go to this school. How these kids scrape by beats me.

Quote Originally Posted by gottibear View Post
    Man I wish we had ipads when I was in school. I remember having dos mode educational applications back in first grade. Good ole green letters on black background.
    I'm surprised your letters were green, instead of white. By the time you were born (guessing about 1987) VGA was the new standard, and even older CGA and EGA displays were phasing out by the time you were in first grade in probably what 1993.

Goes to show you how some schools keep stuff around way too long. They definitely needed an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecars View Post
    I'm surprised your letters were green, instead of white. By the time you were born (guessing about 1987) VGA was the new standard, and even older CGA and EGA displays were phasing out by the time you were in first grade in probably what 1993.

Goes to show you how some schools keep stuff around way too long. They definitely needed an upgrade.
    I still remember seeing green and black monitors as a child. So it wasn't completely phased out by the mid 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecars View Post
    They should really be using a MDM solution to keep them all updated and keep track of licenses. (mobile device management) Many companies offer this to the school or enterprise like Absolute Manage MDM, even Dell MDM etc. But at the very least in the app store "Apple Configurator" is a solution to deploy to multiple ipads. And depending on the applications installed, they may have specific licence agreements with your school for the number of devices that your school owns that you dont know about. But in any case, that's probably not your job to worry about it or you would know it was your job to worry about it.
    Well, as for the licencing i might not know about, i know we don't have it. I've been around when we got the ipads in, and been in the middle every step of the way. Some of the licencing procedure our school uses for software is still a little unclear to me, however with the ipads, I am completely sure that what we are doing in our school is not covered.
    However, you did get one thing quite right, its not my job. The principle does like to ask me for my input on certain purchases and such, however my immediate job is employment through a different entity called Title one, and my job is specifically to keep our computer resources running well so teachers can feel confident in using it for their students, not to work as a consultant. Unfortunately though, i'm still left keeping this on the down low without actually saying anything to the technology department about it.
    Thats my predicament, its not really my job to say what is up, because technically, i'm not really the one responsible. I just do support.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Because its the US education system.

Come on its rather simple to see why we are all stupid down here now, right?

--------------

to the TC. Your fine as long as nothing in the classroom has rounded corner, because that's when apple get's PISSED.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post

Not to get on a soapbox about computers in education but, well, there is a reason why you see a whole lot more laptops in freshman classes than in senior classes at university.

The set up you guys have is definitively illegitimate. That's not a good thing...
    I agree that technology can be a distraction, but with the setup we are making, it will actually be quite awesome. We are going to make it so the students can do their research on the ipad, and then use the ipad to make presentations, and then they can use the Apple TV to broadcast their work imediately to the projector. Allong with that they can do quick research for something the teacher might want them to look for when asked a question. There are also lots of interactive apps that help with other things like reading and math.

At the time I was in the only class that had them (1994). There were maybe 8 in the classroom. It was like a special needs class that met once a day for an hour or so. Not that I was/am slow, just wasn't motivated and found the joys of playing dumb at an early age and have done so for most of my life.

Anyways, two years later they had 1 to 2 computers in each room with like windows 3.1 or some ancient os.

This was in a really small town. It might aswell been Mayberry from the "Andy Griffith Show".