Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone 5, anyone else disappointed?

Unhappy iPhone 5, anyone else disappointed?

I got my new iPhone 5 today, like always, but I was really disappointed to see that the screen was only slightly longer and not any wider. Also Maps isn't as great as hyped to be either. And as usual there is a lack of cases and accessories especially since moving from the dock to lightning connector.

I have always been excited in the past, but the bigger screen is really what I was waiting for, and it was really a let down for me.

I do have to say, 4G LTE is worth the upgrade though, so I don't regret it.

I still need to play more with ios6, so I will have to see what that brings.

What do the rest of you Apple fans think? (and non apple fans)

I bought a 4s a few months ago (after rain, of all things, got the better of my 3Gs) so I can't comment on the new hardware, but the iOS 6 upgrade doesn't seem like a downgrade more than anything. Sure, do not disturb is neat, but the new maps app is by all accounts worse than Google maps.

As for siri, I never use it (it's a nice toy to show off, but for me it has zero actual use) so I can't say I care for it's upgrades.

Default iPhone 5, anyone else disappointed?

I got an I phone 4s yesterday due to their low prices.and my dad got the 5 today and seems to be pretty impressed with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    I bought a 4s a few months ago (after rain, of all things, got the better of my 3Gs) so I can't comment on the new hardware, but the iOS 6 upgrade doesn't seem like a downgrade more than anything. Sure, do not disturb is neat, but the new maps app is by all accounts worse than Google maps.

As for siri, I never use it (it's a nice toy to show off, but for me it has zero actual use) so I can't say I care for it's upgrades.
    That's a shame about your old phone, even if you were wanting to upgrade anyway you could of sold it or used it as an extra ipod
    I agree siri is pretty much a toy. It's easier to just do whatever you need to do yourself. DND could be useful but I'm too afraid I'd forget to turn it off and miss something.

Well it at least has a slightly faster processor and a better GPU for games, right? Sad thing is apple doesn't want to use google maps and I think that's ungodly stupid. i mean why spend thousand or millions of dollars buying or devloping your own when you got google saying "yeah, you can use google maps."

i get google has android, but come on we're talking about a app. also its not because Apple doesn't want to pay them. apple and google have 700+ dollar stocks. They can design rolls of toilet paper made with 20 dollar bills and stick them in the employee restrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Well it at least has a slightly faster processor and a better GPU for games, right? Sad thing is apple doesn't want to use google maps and I think that's ungodly stupid. i mean why spend thousand or millions of dollars buying or devloping your own when you got google saying "yeah, you can use google maps."
    I agree the maps thing was stupid, They are trying to hard to separate themselves from google, when the fact is google does some things better. Apple shouldn't wast time or focus on that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    apple and google have 700+ dollar stocks. They can design rolls of toilet paper made with 20 dollar bills and stick them in the employee restrooms.
    OMG I just laughed so hard my paci went flying onto my laptop, and I think I might need to change after that too

Could you imagine, I would go there just to steal the toilet paper!

I'm still using a 3GS running iOS 6 but just wanted to clarify a few things.

The lengthening of the screen is not because they wated to make the screen larger overall, but so that the dimensions are now the standard 16:9 like a television. If you want a huge phone then go for something like the Samsung Galaxy ones, but personally I like my phone to actually comfortably fit into my pocket.
    Secondly, the dropping of Google maps is likely so they don't have to pay Google for it. I read somewhere that Google makes between 3 and 4 times the amount per iOS product sold which they license products to, than per Android product sold. The actual numbers are disputed, but it's clear Google makes a lot of money from selling Google maps to Apple and the revenue from Google being the default search on Safari. As it happens, they've released their own maps way before it's ready (some commentators say because Steve Jobs isn't around any more to stop them) and shot themselves in the foot. If Google sold their maps on the App store for 10 next week I bet they'd be raking it in.

Back on topic though, the feedback I've got from people with one (apart from maps) is really positive.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecars View Post
    That's a shame about your old phone, even if you were wanting to upgrade anyway you could of sold it or used it as an extra ipod
    I agree siri is pretty much a toy. It's easier to just do whatever you need to do yourself. DND could be useful but I'm too afraid I'd forget to turn it off and miss something.
    Since Canadian iPhone contracts run for three years (seriously) I was waiting for the 5 to upgrade. Ended up just buying my 4s out of contract to have a decent chance at re-selling it in two years or so.

Thaguy123

I'm not very disappointed. But I expected more from apple

The iOS 6 update really wasn't worth losing my jailbreak.. Maps is bad (it looks cool... But it doesn't do what you want) also I only use Siri for things like "How are you" or "What's the weather" or other things when I'm bored..

(I have a IPad 3)

I'm still using the iPhone 4 and will be for about another year. As far as the 5 goes, I really don't see any thing special about it. Yes, they need to fix maps. I used it Thursday to find a restaurant and it led me into a residential neighborhood.