Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another lesson from that damn lion Statik

Default Another lesson from that damn lion Statik

Been awhile, eh?

Well here's a bit of random for you.

I was on my way to work the other night but first I needed some gas. When I paid for the gas, I told the cashier $35 on 5 please. I handed him a $100. He gave me back a $50 + $20 + $5 = $75. This does not compute.

I'm too damn honest for my own good plus I have that rare thing called a conscious. I told him his math was wrong. Annnnnnd here's where it gets interesting.

He told me he finds his job boring and sometimes finds himself "testing" people. These tests are random but according to him fail soooo many times when he has to be the one to correct the change. I guess I'm a rarity because he made it a point to make it a point (see what I did there?) to let me know I passed with flying colors. He handed me back my $100 and told me to "Fill it, on the house".

Let this be a lesson. Don't be a selfish asshole.

That's nice of him, but by doing what he's doing, is he not stealing from the company? handing out more change than needed and he knows he's doing it.

Nah.

This gas station is very rare because big rigs often fuel up here as well so they make way more than their quota. Even so, he said it was on him ...whether that's out of his pocket or the companies is his own deal. I won't argue a gift horse in the mouth when I already tried to right a wrong.

I wouldn't assume people aren't saying anything due to them wanting to cheat others out of money. Some people pay as little attention to their money as the cashiers do. You can say that's irresponsible of course, but in this day I'd assume people aren't paying attention and/or suck at simple math as easily as I would that they're trying to cheat other people out of money.

It's amazing to me how many people will willingly take what's not theirs. A number of years ago, I went into a locally-owned business and made a purchase of something like 11 dollars and change. I paid with a 20 dollar bill, and the cashier handed me back 13 dollars and some-odd cents as my change. She was truly shocked when I pointed out the error and handed back the excess change. If nothing else, I felt good about myself for doing the right thing.

Back when I was a poor college student and had just finished convincing my dad to deposit some money into my bank account, I went to an ATM in a nearby grocery store and ended up getting twice the money I requested (can't remember the exact numbers, but I want to say I ended up with $80-$100 more than expected). I didn't notice this until I'd gotten back out to the parking lot. I whipped out the receipt to make sure I hadn't keyed in the wrong amount, and nope! Free money!

And?

Well, I'll admit... I kept it!

But apparently it wasn't worth keeping, as now, almost two decades later, I'm still thinking about it. I'd like to think that, if that happened to me again, I would go back into the store and report it. We'll see!

Cashier errors have never worked in my favor, however. I used to go to a nearby Starbucks drive-thru almost every day, and almost every day the girl working the window would charge me for an extra shot of espresso. I was polite about it at first, and would often be issued a coupon for a free drink on my next visit. Fine by me! Eventually, however, it began to irritate me that this one person seemed to be deliberately overcharging people. How could it be accidental anymore after literally months? I finally parked, got out, went in, and asked for the manager. She assured me that she would look into the situation, which was also slightly irritating as I couldn't believe this wouldn't have been reported already. However, a week later, the problematic employee was no longer an employee.

And then, yet again, I felt bad about it! I guess revenge just isn't my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    It's amazing to me how many people will willingly take what's not theirs. A number of years ago, I went into a locally-owned business and made a purchase of something like 11 dollars and change. I paid with a 20 dollar bill, and the cashier handed me back 13 dollars and some-odd cents as my change. She was truly shocked when I pointed out the error and handed back the excess change. If nothing else, I felt good about myself for doing the right thing.
    Well, I mean, some people pirate things like "The Humble Bundle", which you can buy for any amount of money (well, the minimum is a penny) and you can, if you chose, make all that money go to charity. Sometimes people are just that unscrupulous.

Peachy

I've handed excess change back, and I've kept excess change in the past. Which option I choose depends on the cashier and store.

It's pretty normal to get ripped off by grocery stores around here. Normally, I notice it straight away, sometimes i notice it later and have to go through their stupid admin crap to claim a refund, and I'm sure there are times when I don't notie it at all. If I get excess change in that kind of store, I'll just keep my mouth shut. If they're unfair towards me, I see no reason to be fair to them.

If it's a store I care about, a nice cashier or they've made mistakes in the past but apologized about it (and didn't try to give me 7 cents when I complained about not seeing the 30% off sticker on a 2.50 EUR pack of ham) and don't do stupid or illegal admin crap for correcting mistakes they've done (like wanting my name and address for refunding money the only got by their own mistakes...that's when I write "James Bond" ), i'll gladly point out their mistake and give them a chance to correct it.

Peachy
    Last edited by Nihlus; 24-Sep-2012 at 07:54. Reason: Removed double post

Quote Originally Posted by LunaCat View Post
    I wouldn't assume people aren't saying anything due to them wanting to cheat others out of money. Some people pay as little attention to their money as the cashiers do. You can say that's irresponsible of course, but in this day I'd assume people aren't paying attention and/or suck at simple math as easily as I would that they're trying to cheat other people out of money.
    This is what I was thinking as I read it.

It's great that this happened to you Statik but I don't really see it as people stealing the $10, more than not caring about the change. I would definitely count the money if it was anything more than $10 in change, though, so maybe. Maybe maybe.

I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume most people are good and honest though.

Quote Originally Posted by statik View Post
    I'm too damn honest for my own good plus I have that rare thing called a conscious. I told him his math was wrong. Annnnnnd here's where it gets interesting.
    I have a conscious, too! I think they may be more common than you think. ;p Someone with a solid conscience may be harder to find, though.

Anyway, that's pretty cool. I've never been rewarded for doing stuff like that, just sometimes an uninspired 'thanks'. It doesn't particularly make me feel special... maybe a decent human being, but that shouldn't really be anything to aspire to (since everyone should be a decent human being).