Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New possible PC rig bulid, thoughts?

Default New possible PC rig bulid, thoughts?

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Major update: This is the final build and ordered.

My dad is tech incompetent so i tried to explain that the GPU I was looking at a ASUS went out of stock and thus this one costs 30 dollars more. I gave him the price and he confirmed its fine as he thinks he spent 1200 for his PC but it came with a full HD 24 inch HP display. which is mammoth from may a foot and a half away.

anyways I get 45 dollars in MIR and a 15 dollar newegg gift card.
    Last edited by Fire2box; 20-Sep-2012 at 04:01.

I definitely suggest A much bigger power supply than what your looking at. The board itself will likely take 250 watts min. So you can't have to muh power. I'd be looking at an 900 watt minimum if your card takes upto 500 watts. The CPU should do you fine along with the supplied hs. Makes sure you get a good MB for it too.

Someone on gamefaqs pointed out the motherboard from Asrock is cheaper and it got decent reviews anyway plus it has two PCi e 16x only one is 3.0 but that doesn't matter. PCI-E 16 2.0 is still fast enough for every card on the market AFIK
    The same GPU is cheaper by ASUS and I trust ASUS as a brand anyhow.
    So that saves 50 dollars off so I dropped the 4 GB ram and popped that back up to a 8 GB of ram and i added in a ASUS dvd burner with fancier features I'll likely never need or use.

Anyways I might bump the PSU up to a 600 watt PSU. My last rig had a PSU that just met or was only a few watts higher then the 8800GT demanded and the guy from razethew0rld on youtube said he really likes Seasonics build quality in his Canada PC building video.

The 750.50 price point wasn't that bad to being with for the price of what i'll get. Esp since I don't need to get a HDD for it as I got a 1 TB 7200 ready that was used for my backup on my last rig. A SSD would be nice but i can hold off a another year or two for that.

Last edited by Fire2box; 19-Sep-2012 at 10:47.

If you're going with a 870 get the 6870 you're not going to have issues running things still and it's cheaper. While not ultra you'll still be playing in high.

Now if you can get say, 680+ you'll see better. :<

- - - Updated - - -

Also spring for a 120gb SSD when you can and learn to install stuff on a HDD and stuff. Boots quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    If you're going with a 870 get the 6870 you're not going to have issues running things still and it's cheaper. While not ultra you'll still be playing in high.

Now if you can get say, 680+ you'll see better. :<

- - - Updated - - -

Also spring for a 120gb SSD when you can and learn to install stuff on a HDD and stuff. Boots quick.
    There doesn't seem to be many issues with the 7870 and it's chipset has been out since what the start of this year? I'd be getting a nvidia chipset and would of loved to get a 680 GPU it's price and performance ratio just isn't worth incurring the extra costs. Plus the 7870 has less of a overall power draw then a 560 nvidia according to TomsHardware benchmarks. I'll get A SSD for boot and some games down the road, I would right now it's just 750-760 dollars is a lot of money and the 8Gb of ram and unlocked processor is a better deal. I can live with slightly longer load times.

oh plus the 7870 comes with Sleeping Dogs. While I haven't been drolling for that as much as Borderlands 2. Sleeping dogs along with Deus Ex HR and SR3 will be good games to test the rig on. But hey at least its not dirt Showdown, the dirt games are fun but come on their yearly like Madden.

Default New possible PC rig bulid, thoughts?

My only question would be why buy a an Intel k processor if you don't plan in OCing?

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    My only question would be why buy a an Intel k processor if you don't plan in OCing?
    for now I don't plan on OC'ing simply because I don't need to. when i do Oc it'll be 2+ years further down the road where OCing will grant a few extra frames for, whatever game comes out in 2-3 years.

also the GPU on the wishlist is now out of stock, damn.

(update parts are ordered.)
    Last edited by Fire2box; 20-Sep-2012 at 02:58.

Looks like a ok build. Ripjaws are good. If your going to OC later I would recommend not using the stock cpu cooler. 600W PSU should be fine with that build.

Quote Originally Posted by lilaznboy View Post
    Looks like a ok build. Ripjaws are good. If your going to OC later I would recommend not using the stock cpu cooler. 600W PSU should be fine with that build.
    the mobo can't OC acording to a geamfaqs user. im not too concerned over that anyways. plus the bulid should be arriving this morning or afternoon.