Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a band/Singer

Default Recommend a band/Singer

Didn't see any music recommendation threads currently active so thought I'd create a new one Anyway my recommendation for today is Porcupine Tree. They're basically a prog rock band but they started out doing more ambient/psychedelic stuff. Here's a song anyways.

um what kind of music do you like? cause i love rap, rock, hiphop, country, 80's and 90's rock, and classic rock.

Quote Originally Posted by redbaby View Post
    Didn't see any music recommendation threads currently active so thought I'd create a new one Anyway my recommendation for today is Porcupine Tree. They're basically a prog rock band but they started out doing more ambient/psychedelic stuff. Here's a song anyways.
    Dude I absolutely adore this band!!!!!! Steve Wilson is awesome.... My recommendation for you, though you probably already know it as a PT fan is Opeth. In case you don't know they are also a Prog band but they are Swedish and 8 of their 10 records were death metal influenced. Steve from PT and Mikael from Opeth are the best of friends and now collaborated to form Storm Corrosion. Most fans of either band like both. Yay for Porcupeth hehe.... anyway here is The Moor, one of their earlier Metal songs (still prog like hell though) and Devils Orchard, from their new CD which sounds like 70s era prog. Hope you enjoy!

The Moor- Opeth - YouTube

Opeth - The Devil's Orchard - YouTube

PS: Prog is AWESOME!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DPRzazi View Post
    Dude I absolutely adore this band!!!!!! Steve Wilson is awesome.... My recommendation for you, though you probably already know it as a PT fan is Opeth. In case you don't know they are also a Prog band but they are Swedish and 8 of their 10 records were death metal influenced. Steve from PT and Mikael from Opeth are the best of friends and now collaborated to form Storm Corrosion. Most fans of either band like both. Yay for Porcupeth hehe.... anyway here is The Moor, one of their earlier Metal songs (still prog like hell though) and Devils Orchard, from their new CD which sounds like 70s era prog. Hope you enjoy!

The Moor- Opeth - YouTube

Opeth - The Devil's Orchard - YouTube

PS: Prog is AWESOME!!!!!
    Opeth are easily one of my favorite bands and I've got tickets to go see them play an acoustic show in London in November Oops didnt read that you know about Storm Corrosion, that's a great project, especially the video that got released for drag ropes (which i'll place here for anyone interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=manW5v-AR7U). Oh and Steven Wilson's solo albums seem to be excellent as well but sounds like you probably know that already Great to see another prog fan anyways :p

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mellow1920 View Post
    um what kind of music do you like? cause i love rap, rock, hiphop, country, 80's and 90's rock, and classic rock.
    Well I like most things that are guitar based but the idea is to post anything you like and everyone can come have a look rather than just what I may or may not like.

[QUOTE=redbaby;949060]Opeth are easily one of my favorite bands and I've got tickets to go see them play an acoustic show in London in November Have you listened to Storm Corrosion? Its Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth working together and sounds amazing in a nice trippy sort of way. Oh and Steven Wilson's solo albums seem to be excellent as well but sounds like you probably know that already Great to see another prog fan anyways :p

- - - Updated - - -

I am a huge Prog fanboy and you are lucky to see the acoustic sets in the UK... I saw Opeth, Mastodon, and Ghost in Chicago (I'm in the states) and that was the best show I have ever seen! 3 of my faves all in one place! Very surreal day. I will say that though it wasn't acoustic, most of Opeth's set was soft and consisting of mainly Heritage and Damnation songs, apart from Demon of the Fall and Grand Conjuration... As for Steve's solo stuff I have not yet had the chance to listen to that but I am dying to! As a bassist, both these bands are a joy to listen to and I know from a guitarists stand point you also have an insane experience heehee!

[QUOTE=DPRzazi;949064]

Quote Originally Posted by redbaby View Post
    Opeth are easily one of my favorite bands and I've got tickets to go see them play an acoustic show in London in November Have you listened to Storm Corrosion? Its Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth working together and sounds amazing in a nice trippy sort of way. Oh and Steven Wilson's solo albums seem to be excellent as well but sounds like you probably know that already Great to see another prog fan anyways :p

- - - Updated - - -

I am a huge Prog fanboy and you are lucky to see the acoustic sets in the UK... I saw Opeth, Mastodon, and Ghost in Chicago (I'm in the states) and that was the best show I have ever seen! 3 of my faves all in one place! Very surreal day. I will say that though it wasn't acoustic, most of Opeth's set was soft and consisting of mainly Heritage and Damnation songs, apart from Demon of the Fall and Grand Conjuration... As for Steve's solo stuff I have not yet had the chance to listen to that but I am dying to! As a bassist, both these bands are a joy to listen to and I know from a guitarists stand point you also have an insane experience heehee!
    I only just got the first Steven Wilson solo album today so I can't comment on it fully till it sinks in a bit more but it seems to have a slight post rock and occasional Smashing Pumpkins vibe going on some songs so its a little different to PT. I'll throw some stuff up here at some point anyway

i love Lil Waynes song "A Milli". i love Drakes Song "Headlines" as Well as his "Make Me Proud" song. but my fave song of all time is The new song from Big Sean "Mercy".

i love Lil Waynes song "A Milli". i love Drakes Song "Headlines" as Well as his "Make Me Proud" song. but my fave song of all time is The new song from Big Sean "Mercy".
    Not really my sort of thing but the Mercy one is fairly decent though, I'm sure there are plenty of other members that will love that sort of thing more than me anyways

A big Drake fan here. I love Headlines as well in fact I can sing to whole verse without lyrics! sometimes I think if I should put video on YouTube about it.

Oh and some recommendation from me

Hard-FI - Suburban Knights (Video) - YouTube

Well to the two proggers lurking here, here is a band neither of you will have heard of but will likely enjoy. These guys are extremely underground so please buy their records, see them live, and all out support them if you really like them!

Redemption - Peel - YouTube

Redemption - Noonday Devil - YouTube