Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: There must be some positive sides of incontinence

Default There must be some positive sides of incontinence

Everybody talks about how bad it is to suffer from incontinence and about the down sides. But is it really like that? Some people might say you don't have to stand in a line when you have to go to the bathroom when you are at a concert. Is that the only good thing to wearing diapers? Or is it only the DL people that says stuff like that?
    There must be some positive sides of life too for those who is dealing with this issue everyday. How do you turn your incontinence into something positive?
    Maybe we can share some thoughts others haven't thought of.

Clearly no-one can think of anything...

I can't think of any. Even the convenience of wearing a diaper is cancelled out by the inconvenience of planning trips around changes and trying to find a suitable public bathroom. You still have to stand in that line, with your diaper-bag, if your diaper is soaked and starting to leak.

The only positive thing I can say about my incontinence is that I haven't allowed it to stop me doing all the things I always enjoyed before. It takes more planning, and sometimes it's necessary to disclose your needs to others which can be very embarrassing. But I've not had to change my life in any drastic way or curtail any social activities because of it.

Hey diam. I've been incontinent pretty much my entire life. I had to see a bunch of health professionals as I was growing up, but they couldn't find anything wrong with me. I tried everything to stop, but nothing worked. I'd always felt ashamed, but then one day I realised that I don't actually mind being incontinent, I only felt bad about it when I felt that other people were judging me. I've learned to accept it as a part of me (everyone is different/strange in their own ways after all). Sure I don't go round town bragging about it, but my life really turned a corner for the better when I learned to accept and enjoy my incontinence. Being incontinent is a part of who you are, and I'm sure you're a good person, so if your incontinence is an ingredient in what makes up you... so be it.

If only the world wasn't such a judgmental place. I get really jealous of how the babies in the shopping malls and cinema can go to a special changing room when they go number 1 or 2, whereas I have to wait until I get home before I get to get into a nice fresh diaper. Sorry, that was kind of off topic =)

Learn to enjoy being who you are and all the parts that come with it. Hope this helped (probably not because I'm kind of renowned for my crummy advice...). Be proud bro!!!!

Skizics

I have to agree with Patrick on not letting others judge you because you need to wear a diaper. I went through the same kind of BS when I was growing up and I felt like I was the only person in the world who still needed to wear diapers. Even my Doctor thought that I was just being a bit lazy and that was why I was still wetting my pants and bed everyday. The truth was, however, that I had a mild form of Spina Bifida that wasn't diagnosed until I was 40 years old. I have lived most of my life trying to Be Normal which means I tried not to wear diapers when I thought I could get away with it and when I was wearing a diaper and I realized that I needed to go I would make a Mad Dash for the bathroom to use the toilet like a normal person would. Except for the time I slipped and fell and landed on the edge of my bathtub with my hip. I'm not sure how I avoided breaking my hip but all I wound up with was the most impressive bruise I've ever seen from my knee to my rib cage. What put the ordeal into perspective was my Doctor's nurse who asked me, after I had told them how I got the bruise, why had I almost killed myself when all I had to do was use the diaper. She was right because that is just what I did while I was trying to catch my breath. I sat on the bathroom floor and filled my diaper and I couldn't have cared less at that moment. I don't even make the effort now. If I have a diaper on and need to use it... I use it. It's a lot less stressful now that I've accepted my incontinence for what it really is... No Big Deal.

Quote Originally Posted by diam View Post
    Everybody talks about how bad it is to suffer from incontinence and about the down sides. But is it really like that? Some people might say you don't have to stand in a line when you have to go to the bathroom when you are at a concert. Is that the only good thing to wearing diapers? Or is it only the DL people that says stuff like that?
    There must be some positive sides of life too for those who is dealing with this issue everyday. How do you turn your incontinence into something positive?
    Maybe we can share some thoughts others haven't thought of.
    Yeah there's *nothing* positive about it. Diapers are expensive and i've heard to many cases where insurance doesn't cover the full costs or only pays for bad and/or uncomfortable ones like depends. You have to carry diapers everywhere so if you go to a sporting event or a theme park or airport security will look inside your bag filled with a a diaper and whatever else you need/use. You can't take a break from being IC and you'll likely constantly worry about it.

The good part about losing your legs is the ability to sit all day...

Default There must be some positive sides of incontinence

See, every single "advantage" of being IC can be simulated by wearing diapers 24/7 until you get annoyed of them. Incontinents don't get the luxury of not having to wear when it is not convenient to do so.

It all comes down to choice. We (non IC ABDLs) get to "play" with diapers on our own terms. If life would make wearing a diaper inconvenient, like going on holiday with friends, or going out on a date, or whatever, we can just not wear. Someone who is IC doesn't get that choice.

I chatted to a DL on here a while back who became temporarily IC at night-time for a couple of weeks. I can tell you she hated every minute of it. We'd all like the feeling of waking up wet but if you're forced to do it, it looses its charm

Quote Originally Posted by diam View Post
    How do you turn your incontinence into something positive?
    Well, the good thing is at least some of us actually like our diapers and feeling like a baby. Some of the time. Okay, at least on occasion. During those times, ah, yes, I really love my diapers. Most of the time, I'm going to work, cleaning around the house, exercising, going out with friends, etc. and I'm wearing diapers. For those of us who have been wearing them for decades, it's not so bad. You still worry about others finding out, leaks, costs, skin care, new products, clothing options, etc. but it gets better as you learn. In the end, it's not what I would have chosen for my life, but it's not horrible either.

I suppose I have the best of both worlds with only relying on diapers for overnight and even then I stay dry some nights/most nights it kinda depends on lots of variables. I can stay out of diapers if I wish during the day unless I am driving for a long period of time. I.C. is NOT a problem so long as one does NOT make it a problem. Enjoy life, make the most of the positive things in life that you have (like I try to do) and get on with it. I can say this after many years of having to cope through the bad times, the depression and after a while one comes to terms with it all and carries on regardless. I live a happy life and I enjoy wearing my nappy/diaper most of the time. Somehow the more one wears one the more confident one gets.