Thread: cloth diapers?

Question cloth diapers?

I was thinking about getting some cloth diapers, but know every little about them. If anyone has any advice or a source I would be most thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by babygohan View Post
    If anyone has any advice or a source I would be most thankful.
    Hi, babygohan.

Start by reading this article on the subject: All About Cloth Diapers

It should help you get an idea of what you're looking for. Once you think you know what kind you'd like to try, you might start a thread asking some clarifying questions. There is also a group for cloth diaper wearers. Bear in mind that the cloth diapers most popular among members of ADISC may not turn out to be the best choice for you personally. As with disposables, many of the cloth wears here have a preference for what they were raised in (typically the more traditional diapers--flats, prefolds), whereas those coming from disposables, such as yourself, may be more inclined toward the "modern" fitted or all-in-one diapers. We have a bit less collective experience with those kinds, but there do seem to be some good ones available. My final bit of advice would be: Since these would be the first diapers you have to wash/dry/care for, shop with ease of care in mind. The care instructions for some of the ABDL-targeted products are onerous, in my opinion.

Good luck!

As far as ease of care is concerned I find that plain terry squares are as easy as cloth can get - because they're flt and single layer, they wash and dry quickly.

As far as flats and prefolds are concerned, it doesn't seem to matter where you get them. They're all marked Purity (the brand my kids wore, I don't know about me), I think, these days, they're all made in China, they all seem to cost the same (not at all unsubstantial until you think about that fact that I've been wearing some of the same diapers for at least 7 years) and they're all good, even great.

As for where those places are, two places I can vouch for are adultclothdiaper.com and fetware.com.

Have fun.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by adasterix View Post
    As far as flats and prefolds are concerned, it doesn't seem to matter where you get them. They're all marked Purity (the brand my kids wore, I don't know about me), I think, these days, they're all made in China, they all seem to cost the same.
    WHAT?! :-/

Adult cloth diapers are many and various, and come from all sorts of different manufacturers with different prices. Perhaps you've simply run across the AdultClothDiaper.com diapers on eBay and Amazon; they sell in multiple places. Also, I think you're confusing Curity and Purity. Curity cloth diapers haven't been made in decades (I still have mine, though!), Purity is AdultClothDiaper.com's (a.k.a. All Together Enterprises') much more recent brand. Their flats and prefolds are made in the USA, one of the reasons you can order custom sizes and get them (relatively) quickly. Same thing with Angel Fluff diapers (made in the USA, custom sizing done quickly). Baby Pants and NiceDiaper/Fuubuu diapers come from China. Rearz and Changing Times diapers come from Pakistan (Ashar International). Not sure about Babykins, but they do pull-on and prefold diapers with prints I haven't seen elsewhere, so pretty sure they're doing their own thing or at least using their own design.

Anyway...

With the exception of NiceDiaper, I own diapers (prefolds) from all of the companies listed above, and they are very different products! Shopping around is absolutely essential.

I bow to your much broader experience.
    (Yeah, probably Curity)
    They're still good.
    So which of these is the cheapest supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by adasterix View Post
    I bow to your much broader experience.
    (Yeah, probably Curity)
    They're still good.
    So which of these is the cheapest supplier?
    D'oh! Sorry. No bowing necessary! I was just expressing surprise.

AdultClothDiaper.com (Purity) is plenty good for flats. Not many others carry flats. Angel Fluff has flats, but ouch! Way too expensive, IMO.

Cheapest for prefolds is probably Babykins.com, but they're in Canada. Their prefolds are printed, but come in flannel only, sooo... meh. Next up would be Baby Pants and Rearz. I slightly prefer the Rearz diapers, but they're in Canada too. Baby Pants wins for best bang/buck in the US, I think, at least if you like prefolds. They offer a variety of fabrics, cost a good 25% less than AdultClothDiaper.com, and the diapers are a better shape, too (IMO). They're more square, so you have a better chance of using a Snappi.

That's not to say I don't like the other prefolds, but they are more (in some cases, a LOT more!) expensive.