Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cops and ... skateboarders?

Default Cops and ... skateboarders?

What do you think?...

Being that I live just north of Baltimore, Maryland, this video has been plastered all over our local news and heard on the radio time and time again the past few days. It was released on Youtube as of a few days ago, and the police officer in question was suspended with pay due to his actions in the video itself.

I'm curious to know your opinion on this matter -- do you think the officer was in the wrong for behaving the way he did towards the teenagers, or do you think that the teenagers specifically instigated the officer to get that reaction, or even deserved his non-nonsense treatment?

I'll offer my point of view soon -- but first, I wonder what you guys have to say about it!

FullMetal

A DUDE IS SOMEONE WHO WORKS ON A RANCH LOL LOL LOL LOL amazing! Hands down the most high on power piece of crap I have ever seen. The teen has every right to first, know what he did wrong, give a fair shot in claiming his defense and reason to act the way he did. The cop on the other hand was completely out of line. Yes, maybe the kid should have said officer and stopped saying 'dude' but that does not give him the right to do what he did.

FullMetal

If you're up for some reading heres a 12 page long thread about this.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...93715288&sid=1

After the officer pushed my friend I'd probably start yelling random stuff (not obscenities) at him until he approached me, then me and my friends would do some sweet dodge and ride off into the sunset on our skateboards twirling our lassos and roping cacti for no good reason.

Really, though. I'd just have run. That guy reminds me of some people I know and man, I just get really mad when someone yells at someone in that kind of way. The cop was a total ass, and while the kids weren't completely "respectful" of the cop that's probably how they converse with their peers. Not respectful but not disrespectful either. Since when does English have a "formal" greeting other than Sir or Ma'am? Does he expect them to say "Sir I am completely sorry for not hearing you. We will now refrain from skateboarding."? Because as soon as he raised his voice I wouldn't call him anything other than someone who I see eye-to-eye, no matter who it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    If you're up for some reading heres a 12 page long thread about this.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...93715288&sid=1
    Please tell me it gets better than the first two pages. Most people are like, "Damn kids, he should've cracked their skulls with that skateboard," or, "Stupid skateboarders have no life".
    Last edited by Point; 13-Feb-2008 at 04:05.

the craziest thing is that if you've ever been to baltimore you know that it wouldn't even have been SAFE for those kids to skateboard in most other parts of the city. they would have gotten mugged.

the sad thing is that most cops i've ever met are excatly like that -- just grown-up bullies who enjoy intimidating people and putting them down. i'm not exactly an anarchist -- i think there's a place for law enforcement especially in a place like baltimore. but a fat lot of good they're doing terrorizing kids on skateboards while hundreds of people get murdered every year in that city.

cuck fops.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blanch View Post
    After the officer pushed my friend I'd probably start yelling random stuff (not obscenities) at him until he approached me, then me and my friends would do some sweet dodge and ride off into the sunset on our skateboards twirling our lassos and roping cacti for no good reason.

Really, though. I'd just have run. That guy reminds me of some people I know and man, I just get really mad when someone yells at someone in that kind of way. The cop was a total ass, and while the kids weren't completely "respectful" of the cop that's probably how they converse with their peers. Not respectful but not disrespectful either. Since when does English have a "formal" greeting other than Sir or Ma'am? Does he expect them to say "Sir I am completely sorry for not hearing you. We will now refrain from skateboarding."? Because as soon as he raised his voice I wouldn't call him anything other than someone who I see eye-to-eye, no matter who it was.

Please tell me it gets better than the first two pages. Most people are like, "Damn kids, he should've cracked their skulls with that skateboard," or, "Stupid skateboarders have no life".

FORUMS.WORLDOFWARCRAFT.com

what did you expect, Shakespeare?

Poor kid! Personally, I have different sides when it comes to skateboarders and cops in those situations. What the cop did was totally uncalled for, not to mention truly stupid. He basically mugs the kid and takes his skateboard when he doesn't answer 'Where you from?'

The skateboard had nothing to do with the situation...IF we knew what the situation was! Like FullMetal said, you can't bad mouth people unless they know what they did wrong.

Not quiet sure whats gonna happen to this cop. Most likely to be fired, though.

It's a really bothersome situation to me.

I'm in Baltimore at least weekly -- in that spot, just about, almost every Saturday. Although I've never seen a police officer put forth that abuse on someone, I find it disgusting and obscene.

Granted, I believe that the kid needs to have a bit of an etiquette lesson when it comes to respecting your elders, your authorities, and your adults -- if I were his parent, I'd likely smack the living shit out of him! -- but this was not the way to give him that etiquette lesson, nor do I believe that it's the police officer's right to try to modify the boy's behavior. Officers of the law witness, mitigate, and disperse crime in action, but it is not within their right to fix the actions of the criminals, either.

I'm not up for calling foul against the snot-nosed little brat.. but...

1) Did the officer have any right to strong-arm the child? No. The boy was much smaller than him and was doing nothing of any immediate harm. I believe the child would have responded respectfully enough to, "Hey guys, remember: No skating in this area, for your safety and the safety of others." Sometimes a friendly reminder goes a long way.

2) Screaming at and berating the boy and his friends was completely uncalled for. That is not the place of a police officer, nor is it what we expect from those whose job it is to "protect and serve". It's these kind of actions that lead to situations where police brutalize an alleged criminal. Would he have had the same balls with an adult offender? Likely not -- I believe the boy's age plays a huge factor in this.

3) What the hell is with the threats, Officer Riviera? Is that the way to treat another human being? And is it your place to make judgments on the boy's social class or living situation without knowing him? How positively arrogant and foolish.

4) For the five minutes this officer spent lambasting this boy and his friends, he could have been out patrolling some other problematic area. The Inner Harbor (where this was located) is an absolute melting-pot of drug-addiction and CDS (controlled dangerous substance) distribution.

I don't necessarily believe that the boy was right ... but I believe the officer should be getting more, in review, than just a suspension. He deserves to lose his job. That is no fair treatment to put upon another person, and an officer like this is like a loaded gun that shouldn't be pointed at anyone. The "department" and "badge" that he's so demanding respect for have suffered immensely for his immaturity and inability to handle the situation.

I find it ironic that he says to the boy that acting the way he does could get him dead.

Remember this, Officer Riviera: Acting like that in Baltimore around most anyone will get you shot.