4 15.38%
  • modded bukkit

7 26.92%
  • tekkit

11 42.31%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: potential official minecraft server

Default potential official minecraft server

Recently Moo has made it shown that he is interested in the idea of starting up a official ADISC Minecraft server for the whole community. Now the server is not set in stone at the moment, first he needs to see if there are enough members that will be in support of it and actually play in the server because a empty server is really just a waste.

Aside from that other factors have to be decided as well, should he run a Bukkit or Vanilla server. Most of you will know that Vanilla means running the game cleanly with no additions to the server, just using the items provided by the game where as Bukkit server allows us to add plugins that will ultimately allow a attempt to improve gameplay. The second factor is the use of mods or nots. Even with a Bukkit server in use, we could only use plug-ins and non of the mods that most of you Minecraft players use or may have heard of. If the community does decide to use mods here are some possibilities, bear in mind a certain mod might be limited due to the fact that it might make the end result boring and not allow any real progression of the landscape.

Mods:

Industrial Craft: Introduces Machine Blocks such as Macerators, Electric Furnaces, Nuclear Reactors and etc.

Buildcraft: Introduces Pipe Systems, Quarries, Engines, Pumps and other Machine blocks that work in sync or can work in sync with IC to make sorting and powering up easier

Equivalent Exchange: Introduces Magic-Like Blocks that turn one item into another depending on value, objects that allow the player to move around with ease and make collecting items less of a pain. (Keep in note that with EE, Collectors/Relays will be possibly taken out due to the mix with the Condensor. Mixing these will kill Mining all together and eventually bore a player)

Redpower: Introduces bigger possibilites to Redstone power. Brings in blocks that can make the game a bit more dramatic with new machine blocks and new type of redstone items.

Railcraft: As the name implies, it improves on the Minecraft Cart system, does come in handy for longer travels in which Power Rails and Regular Rails dont cut it.

Other mods may be considered but these are the main ones that really do add fun to the game, not to mention allows more to be created.

alu

I'm in support of a server hosted by moo himself, well more hosted alongside adisc or whatnot. I hope it doesn't turn out like the last kinda official one and end up either non moderated (by an actual admin of a server that install plugins or does serverside stuff etc) or interest falls to a new server.

I would suggest if you are to keep it vanilla as possible, you are to add plugins to help extend game play, plugins such as factions if there enough people, and mcmmo. You would also need anti theft and anti grief plugins, something like logblock that will store each block change in a sql database so you can roll back griefers, and lockette so we can lock chests and not get items stolen. Worldguard for certain regions and structures to be protected, coupled with worldedit for fixing grief or just filling creeper holes or even landscaping a spawn or whatnots.

Also NERF CREEPERS I DONT WANT ONE DESTROYING MY STUFF.

You probably know half this im just going on past experience with adisc minecraft players. Actual moderators for the server, i can say a few people who have moderated servers for adisc or hosted for members that will deal with it very well.

As for adding them mods a good alternative to it is to put tekkit onto the server, its an all in one with all the mods you explained there, its setup easily and saves you the hastle of having to make a custom client for the server, although if you wanted could be done easily, i myself or a few other coders i know could easily compile one for the use of players on the server.

theres lots of other stuff but thats my input for now this is enough to help you get a idea on a shape i recon, also im all for all the mods like ic^2 and buidcraft if you can do it.

Default potential official minecraft server

Quote Originally Posted by alu View Post
    Also NERF CREEPERS I DONT WANT ONE DESTROYING MY STUFF.
    Don't be silly, we don't allow creepers on ADISC

alu

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Don't be silly, we don't allow creepers on ADISC
    Hehe punny. But if we had mods on for example, and a creeper kamikazes my nuclear reactor i probably would flail about and quit the server :P.
    Last edited by alu; 12-Sep-2012 at 15:03. Reason: Duplicate post bug thingy Again :<

Thaguy123

Quote Originally Posted by Zhoarnoth View Post
    Mods:

Industrial Craft: Introduces Machine Blocks such as Macerators, Electric Furnaces, Nuclear Reactors and etc.

Buildcraft: Introduces Pipe Systems, Quarries, Engines, Pumps and other Machine blocks that work in sync or can work in sync with IC to make sorting and powering up easier

Equivalent Exchange: Introduces Magic-Like Blocks that turn one item into another depending on value, objects that allow the player to move around with ease and make collecting items less of a pain. (Keep in note that with EE, Collectors/Relays will be possibly taken out due to the mix with the Condensor. Mixing these will kill Mining all together and eventually bore a player)

Redpower: Introduces bigger possibilites to Redstone power. Brings in blocks that can make the game a bit more dramatic with new machine blocks and new type of redstone items.

Railcraft: As the name implies, it improves on the Minecraft Cart system, does come in handy for longer travels in which Power Rails and Regular Rails dont cut it.

Other mods may be considered but these are the main ones that really do add fun to the game, not to mention allows more to be created.
    Why don't just use tekkit?
    Last edited by Thaguy123; 12-Sep-2012 at 15:04. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Thaguy123 View Post
    i agree. it means users can install mods easier under one big pack.
    especially me, i struggle horrible installing mods.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thaguy123 View Post
    i agree. it means users can install mods easier under one big pack.
    especially me, i struggle horrible installing mods.

I like vanilla gameplay or as vanilla as it can be. Things like industrial craft make MC way to advanced then what it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I like vanilla gameplay or as vanilla as it can be. Things like industrial craft make MC way to advanced then what it needs to be.
    Even with Tekkit running you could stick to Vanilla only objects which wont affect other players and im sure you would build in a good enough spot where other buildings wont bother you at all.

When it comes to a official server for the ADISC community I would be one of the first to say that this should happen but my only concerns is if they use the Tekkit Server Build the many dangerous possibilities that the Modpack brings. My main concern being the Nuclear Reactor introduced to us by IC2. Newer players to Nuclear Reactors will quickly decimate the land with poorly design Nuclear Builds and not to mention will probably accidentally build MKV meltdown holes all over the land. This also makes griefing possible with people taking out Cooling Cells and leaving quick to cause explosions. My last concern would be the Condensor Flower builds that can easily make the game boring. The Condensor Flower is perfect for 2-4 player servers but for something that is gonna be used for a community thatll just make development of the land less interesting because no one will explore rather they will just pack things into the condensor to get items quickly. Condensors are fine, collectors/relays are eh...... but yeah the tekkit modpack would be my choice.

Also a Side-Note: If you really are in support of this idea, please post it up to show Moo that this would be something the community would use and want, this all depends on the demand for the creation of the Official Minecraft Server for ADISC.
    Last edited by Noodle; 13-Sep-2012 at 06:21.

alu

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post

Nuclear Reactor

The Condensor .
    The nuclear reactors can always be nerfed with 3rd party plugins to stop it going boooom too large, i find high voltage solar power to be as efficient as a high level well made reactor, none the less its needed to charge something even more powerful, quantum (tron) armour, that stuff that allows you to jump 30 feet into the air, become invisible, relax in lava for about 2 hours and stuff.

The condensers, underground, with about 30 of them will just make the person have a monopoly of resources but can be fun if not overused, but it is nice having a red matter floor in your house, or possible to get the alchemy tomb. nukes will just make grief fun if not disabled, theres lots of stuff to moan about but in the end it will make it more fun hopefully.
    Last edited by alu; 13-Sep-2012 at 15:07. Reason: bug quote thinggy

I have admin'd some high profile YouTube commentators servers in the past and would be happy to help out!