Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Influenza Shots

Default Influenza Shots

Do you get one every year? Do you feel the risk of getting the flu is great enough to warrant getting the shot? Do other countries outside the US offer flu shots to those who want them?

For the last few years we've all been getting the flu shot ourselves. We figured our kids were at a higher risk of getting the flu since they both worked in retail, and customers sometimes don't know when to keep their illnesses at home instead of running around and spreading the misery to others. Guess they hold to the old saying, "misery loves company."

My wife and I being in our 50s figured it would be a good idea since the flu can hit you harder the older you are. Plus, I can't afford to come down with a sickness that would put me out of action for several days.

The only negative thing to happen occurred two years ago. For people in our kids age group they were giving it in a nasal spray form supposedly because it was more effective for them. It was effective alright! They both came down with severe colds and were sick for a couple weeks. The previous year they got the shots like my wife and I, and had no bad effects from it. Ever since the nasal spray episode we all get shots and never have had any other problems.

Does anyone else here get flu shots annually? Have you experienced any problems with the shots, or have you ever gotten the flu not having the shot?

I should... I've gotten the flu the past two years, and at really bad times too (exams or work).

I haven't been to the doctor in years...(Excluding dentist and optometrist)...I'm one of those people that just tough it out if I get sick

No I never got them till last year and never had the flu.... And BTW I've had the nasal The year before last.

Hmm... shots... thanks, but no thanks.

I hate shots, and I hardly ever get sick. I'd rather be sick for a couple days then get that shot.

With my wife being diabetic, and both of us working at the same school, we both get our flu shots at school. It costs us $10.00 each. Of course, the flu usually mutates, and so one is only partly protected. Two years ago I got one of those 2 day flues. I heaved at least 50 times. A couple years before that I think I was sick for a month. I just couldn't shake it. I hadn't gotten the shot that year. So I would rather get the shot and at least have a chance of not getting it.

By the way Martin, I inject my wife when she goes low blood sugar. I'll be glad to come on over and inject you. You won't hardly feel a thing...haha...

Butterfly Mage

I never have had a flu shot and I never will. I just don't trust the government enough that I'm going to allow live viruses to be injected into my body to ward off an illness that I can survive anyway. If it was a inoculation against a deadly, airbourne plague, I'd probably have to chance getting the innoculation. But against the flu? forget it!

Well to a degree I am with Butterfly Mage on this issue. I do not have any view on the Gov point of it. Though when it comes to something like the flu, while it used to be deadly because of ill health to start with it is not deadly because we are always giving out these shots that will allow it to mutate to a more aggressive strand each year.
    I may not be a scientist, though I have enough people in my life that are or have medical degrees and work with Germs all day. This is what I have been told. Your body dose not need shots every year for the flu just like it dose not need antibiotic crap all over the place. Yes there are professions and people with immune disorders that can not say that. But for the majority of the population being sick now and then is the way that you body learns to fight off the killer illness. So if you do not get the small things like the Flu, or a cold because of shots or hand sanitizes all over, your body will not have the built-up knowledge to fight the hard core stuff.

If no one has noticed that the number of sickly children has not gone down with advanced medical knowledge, but up. Now 4/5 kids I teach have major allergies, asthma, low immunizes, and every time you turn around they are being inoculated with another annual shot and being covered in Antibacterial slime. We are killing our selves on a massive scale because people do not want to deal with 7-10 days of disconcert when they know that their systems will not only handle the illness but strengthen from it.

PS yes I have had the Flu, but not in 11 years, Why well that is easy I never get the shot, and when I did have it I toughed it out. I work around people with the Flu when it comes around. When I "catch it, I feel my body fight off something, you know, low grade fever, chill for a few hours.

I simply chill, cut out any sugars in my diet (Viruses feed on simple sugars in your system IE Juice) to starve out the illness. Then the next day I am fine. My system has learned all if needs to keep me safe and dose not rely on someone introducing a live virus into my body to give the blueprints for a bad guy.

I've only ever had influenza once, as far as I can remember. I've not actually had anything worse than a bad cough for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I never have had a flu shot and I never will. I just don't trust the government enough that I'm going to allow live viruses to be injected into my body to ward off an illness that I can survive anyway. If it was a inoculation against a deadly, airbourne plague, I'd probably have to chance getting the innoculation. But against the flu? forget it!
    The flu shot is not a live virus.

Okay folks, I will explain the flu shot thing. Every year, scientists observe the Far East (which is where the "flu season" starts) to determine which strain of influenza is the most prevalent in appearance. Let's call them "Type A" and "Type B". If Type A is more prevalent, then the vaccine that is manufactured (and the vaccine does not contain live virus) is against Type A. If Type B, then it is Type B. If both, then a combo vaccine is manufactured. Problems occur when one strain shows as prevalent, then the other strain increases after the vaccine production begins (production takes several months, so you can't just stop one and make the other.) Another issue is if a mutated strain occurs (HN51 - bird flu, H1N1 - mutated to Spanish flu), because it is very difficult to develop a new vaccine against these, so many at risk people will end up getting the virus at full strength.

Some people report getting the flu right after getting the vaccine and blame the vaccine. It doesn't work this way. Incubation period for the flu is several days, and the shots become effective in about two weeks. If a person gets sick with the flu right after getting the vaccine, it is because they were already infected when they got the vaccine. Flu shots are also effective for about four months, so many who get the shots earlier in the season may get sick later in the season. Don't let that dissuade you from getting your shot earlier in the season, though. Another immunization can be given later in the season if there is an outbreak in the area you live in.

Why is it important to get the flu shot? For most people, the flu is something that will make you relatively sick for a few days and you will miss some work or school. This (on a wide scale) is very costly for productivity, which is why so many companies are happy to pay for all or part of the cost of flu shots for employees. But for some (the very young, old, infirm, or otherwise immuno-compromised), even the common flu strains can be deadly. For those that work with or come in contact with this population on a regular basis, the flu shot is very important.

Bottom line - flu shots are important. They are cheap. They won't give you the flu. Those that are allergic to eggs or have Gillian-Barre Disease should be concerned about getting shots because of potential reactions to the shot, but for most, the shot may only cause some soreness, warmth and perhaps a little redness at the injection site. Feel free to ask any other questions.
    Last edited by Martin; 28-Oct-2008 at 14:03. Reason: Merging doublepost