Thread: Something I have been thinking about...

Default Something I have been thinking about...

I had a conversation a while back with my grandmother that left me thinking about how different things are politically now compared to what they were when my grandmother was growing up.

Keep in mind, this is a formidable 86 year old woman who has seen a lot of history in her life. This is a woman who's brothers, husband and other family members fought in both WWII and Korea.

This is also a woman who survived the Great Depression as well..

My grandmother was telling me about how polticians that were elected to DC would come home six months out of the year rather than stay down in DC like they do now. My grandmother told me how her local senator lived not too far from her and she also told me about how his door was always open to his constituents. Nowadays, it's not like that- unless you're rich or a lobbyist.

It's a shame really... The only time you ever see the local congressman or senators in from DC is when they're campaigning for votes. It's sad. It makes me feel like the only ones that matter to politicians are the rich, elites and the lobbyists. I feel like our elected officials don't care about the people, but rather money and power now.

I wonder what others think of this. I wonder if anyone else feels as I do- disenfranchised by our politicians and feel like they only care about money, influence and the trappings of their office. As an election nears us here in the States, this has been on my mind a lot.

I know this may be sensitive to talk about, plus I'm not all that political myself as I try to avoid the political discussions here but this kind of means something to me for some strange reason.

WildThing121675

I'm really curious about how others view this... do they feel like that their vote or voice doesn't matter anymore- except for those with money and influence?

Professional politician's who've never had an honest job, money, lobbyist's. It will never change until there's term limits.

Big business exists solely for its stockholders, to give them its profits. Politicians live solely for re-election. They will lie through their teeth, and sell their first born just to be re-elected. Anymore, they are mindless puppets, parroting their party's policies, whether those policies make sense or not.

I have come up with an idea which I think would improve our nation. Instead of electing a president, both parties should nominate 5 candidates. Those candidates would not try to get votes from the public but rather, be participants in a new edition of "Big Brother" and go into the Big Brother house. In addition to those 10 candidates would be 5 returning successful participants of Big Brother, also competing against the politicians. They would all compete in the "Head of Household" competitions and "Power of Veto". I know what you're thinking. What if one of the old Big Brother contestants won? Could they run the country. I'm thinking that even the woman who is a professional spray tanner might be better qualified than most politicians. After all, politicians have been spraying brown goo ever since they became a politician.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I have come up with an idea which I think would improve our nation. Instead of electing a president, both parties should nominate 5 candidates. Those candidates would not try to get votes from the public but rather, be participants in a new edition of "Big Brother" and go into the Big Brother house. In addition to those 10 candidates would be 5 returning successful participants of Big Brother, also competing against the politicians. They would all compete in the "Head of Household" competitions and "Power of Veto". I know what you're thinking. What if one of the old Big Brother contestants won? Could they run the country. I'm thinking that even the woman who is a professional spray tanner might be better qualified than most politicians. After all, politicians have been spraying brown goo ever since they became a politician.

God please don't give society any ideas... :P

I believe the goal of politics has always been as you said, money and power. It makes sense that politicians would get better at this with each generation. Thus I kinda view it as they are getting better at being worse.

As to how one fixes it... no idea. Big problem is the guys who make it to the top of the pile are the best at all the things that make for a bad politician (but make them good at the above goals). This problem isn't just limited to politics. Any situation where there is motivation to make it to the top will inevitably turn into a battle, with the winner usually being the absolute opposite of what you want. Ideally the best politician might be someone with no political ambitions.. but any system tends to result in the most ambitious (and usually devious) making it to the top.

Anyway, it's late and I'm rambling.. so I'll stop ;p

Personally, I think being president/congressman/whatever should be a low paying job. Not lower class, maybe what a teacher would make? And, no sponsoring. They would get an allowance, but the idea would be to spend it on transport, venues, etc. Not advertising, so to get votes they would have to talk to the people and choose something that is pro-people (instead of choosing something pro-corporate and then just using the money to dupe everyone *cough*mitts*cough).

Everybody is so ready to snap at politicians about being obsessed with money that it really seems like they've overlooked how obsessed almost everybody is with money. It's not just politicians. It's the American society. Just look at the "99 percent." Their campaighn was not for equal rights or foreign affairs or better education or anything like that. It was solely for a more equal distribution of the money in the United States-- because they were all so upset about not having enough money. Look how many people got behind something like that.

The monetary obsession isn't a problem partial to our politicians. It's a problem with a huge percentage of U.S. citizens. Yes, it would be nice if they visited regular citizens more often, but they really are busy, Important things really do happen in Washington, DC-- things that not many people honestly want to deal with or argue about.

Is answering to lobbyists rather than voters wrong? Yes.
    Is it upsetting that we don't see our representatives/senators more often? Yes.

But people need to give them more credit.

They really are doing work. It's a legitimate job, and they really aren't the only people with a monetary obsessions.;;

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post

God please don't give society any ideas... :P
    Rachel was hideous, wasn't she!

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Rachel was hideous, wasn't she!
    Yes she was but her and whatever her toy/master name was but without her Regan would of never had this awesome speech.