Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: America is not the greatest country in the world?

Default America is not the greatest country in the world?

This clip of "The Newsroom" makes the case that America is not the greatest country in the world. So far from what I'm hearing and seeing I guess I'd have to agree that it's by far from how "great" it once was. Also it does get a bit sentimental in the end as to what did make America great at one point and generalizes the past far too much.

Default America is not the greatest country in the world?

Might be a more meaningful distinction if there was an agreed upon way to rank countries based on "greatness". It's a completely subjective notion. For all I know I could probably put a case together for Saint Kitts and Nevis being the greatest nation on Earth, provided I frame it correctly. All I know is that if sanity of the electoral system is a criteria than the US is definitively not number one

I do think that the clip show, perhaps unintentionally, that a lot of Americans have a very romantic view on their history. I'm really not sure that America is less "great" that it was 30-40 years ago. But then again, that all depends on how you measure greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Might be a more meaningful distinction if there was an agreed upon way to rank countries based on "greatness". It's a completely subjective notion. For all I know I could probably put a case together for Saint Kitts and Nevis being the greatest nation on Earth, provided I frame it correctly. All I know is that if sanity of the electoral system is a criteria than the US is definitively not number one

I do think that the clip show, perhaps unintentionally, that a lot of Americans have a very romantic view on their history. I'm really not sure that America is less "great" that it was 30-40 years ago. But then again, that all depends on how you measure greatness.
    I think that is a problem that we look back upon history and only try to remember the good things and all the bad stuff is just filled out with acts of war. Pearl Harbor, how we triumphed in WW2 while ignoring the loses we and all our allies had to of taken.

also today all of the news is pretty much setting out to be bleak, hopeless or tell the most horrible stories. I was watching CNN like less then 2 days ago and they put up a story of a 4 year old girl hiding under the body of her mother in a car with 2 other dead people inside in one of the euro countries and I think a 7 year old who survived the attack but was shot 3 times in the shoulder. Sure that's a terribly tragic story but CNN's audience is here in the states. Its not like american's are going to be like "i'm able to come forward as a witness!" it was clearly a story fitting in with the "if it bleeds, it leads." tone.

I would also have to agree withthis on some level
    when we look at the current state of the world and of our own country,our past and our future. can we honestly say that any of us would be able to say that any country in the world would be the best

I actually thought this was an ironic and rhetorical question at first.

We're stationed in many countries (over 100 I believe), and we've gone to war with the Middle East almost entirely for oil. Yeah. We're great.

i believe the measure of greatness for either a person, state, or nation..... or even a civilization;
    is that entities commitment and willingness for growth of spirit, fidelity to Justice, hunger for knowledge. and maybe most of all, capacity for self sacrifice....

these things can of course be observed in common unhurried times. but i think they are best born out in times of stress; such as a local catastrophe, or regional disaster or emergency. and even in times of war.... times when men and nations are pushed to share hardships, shortages, adversity and sacrifice.... of both comfort, safety.... and even life and limb....

"the times that try men's souls"

these things go on all over this world every day and the news carries almost none of it. how can they in this day of package and processed news reporting. in this nation there are men in elite units in all branches of the military that are in almost constant risk of life just to protect us from a much bigger war (not the war we are now in). men whos missions you will never hear of for 30 or more years after the fact; or know the details about ever. everyday men (and now some woman) who not only keep this nation safe from the devastations of world wide war; but by extension, keep much of the rest of the word safe as well from the same....

i could list all of the actions i know of that have been declassified in my adult life, but this isn't the place for that. and it's not that i think this nation is particularly great in all things.... it almost succeeded in obliterating my Fathers Nation; the blood inheritors of the land known as the United States... but still, it's now the parent nation of my Fathers Nation and the lands left to His Peoples. and so when it came time to make a choice, i choose to serve alongside the others who were working to make these United States safer & better for the all civilians that we protect. and i choose not to complain for what they and our Nation were or had become. but simply give the best i could.... the same as so many generations before me have done.... and i know the present generation is doing as we speak....
    if you call yourself American; i believe they do you proud.

i shall leave it to history to judge a given nations greatness....

Default Agreed

I must agree. Now it is countries like Norway who deserve a title such as this. They remain neutral in many wars and give lots of help, not hate to other countries in need. They also have a proper healthcare/social welfare system that insures people can reach there potential without being millionaires.

The thing many people fail to realize is that being able to destroy the entire planet in the click of a button does not make you the best country, if anything it makes you the worse. Being able to provide your citizens with healthcare and social services, having amazing natural areas preserved, supporting a pro-everyone regime, et cetera makes you the best country.

I have lived in the US most of my life and I would hardly consider it the greatest country in the world. We are 16 trillion dollars in debt and counting, our so called "leaders" are sending our men and women in uniform to die in unjustified wars, and our service based economy is crap. The so called "land of opportunity" is quickly turning into the land of the enslaved as it seems like we as a people cannot do anything without some sort of government regulation or having to ask the government for permission. We're telling other countries what to do through the use of military force and we're told that democracy is being spread around. Oh yeah we also have 43 million people on food stamps or some sort of government program. The US has outsourced much of its manufacturing capacity so that pretty much just leaves service industries. I strongly feel that only a nation that produces goods that people need to survive actually end up prospering and becoming great and feel that deregulation is the way to go. Allow people to expand their knowledge and abilities freely and there could be a great nation. Our government is spending us into oblivion at our expense. I think it's got to stop.

Just my two pennies

No country is the single greatest country in the world as every country has had some problems both recently and in their history, there are a few that could claim to be I guess but seeing as how it is basically impossible to objectively measure the greatness of a country it is pointless to give one country the title of the best in the world however America is far from the best country.

I never thought we were the greatest. We had things that made us great. But how would you even go about ranking countries?