Thread: Unwanted Hair Removal

TheEmeraldDream

Default Unwanted Hair Removal

I normally just shave but I can always see the hairs still after a shave. Is waxing a good alternative if im going to use it on most of my body? or is there any other product out there that can make this easier and do a better job so I wont see the stubble of the hairs when im done?

How well off are you?
    If you really want to get rid of it, you can get electrolysis from somewhere, or laser/IPL if your hair is dark enough and skin light enough. Or you can just get waxed. Unless you have a friend to do it though, it's probably better to go to a beautician for waxing. There is also stuff like Nair, which is terrible smelling cream that makes hair fall out, but that's kinda annoying and messy and you're not supposed to use it on sensitive parts. And some people react bad to it.

I suggest taking a hot bath for about 10 minutes beforehand. This raises and softens the hair follicles so you can get a closer shave. Then use a sharp razor with multiple blades. Be sure to moisturize your skin before, during, and after you shave each time. Honestly, don't expect to have 0 black dots if you shave very often- The hair will grow back faster and it will be virtually impossible to be rid of the black dots.

I once had this problem, and I took a hot bath the next time I shaved. It really helped. I never have black dots anymore and I shave my entire body.

I can say if you are going to wax just have it done professionally it is not uncommon for men to get waxed now so don't let that fear inhibit you. As said though professional wax is the way to go, home kits any time I have used them have been more trouble and mess than their worth and far less effective than professional method. Also if you can afford it you can usually get it setup as a spa day, wax+wrap+hair and nails, and a massage for around ~$200-$250. Just the pro waxing is more affordable though at around $75 normally and on sale about $40. Waxing is far better than razors but much more expensive as seen and generally only last about a week to two weeks with out stubble, then you need to wait for it to grow a bit again before you can wax again. The nice thing about methods that do pull the hairs out is they do often grow back thinner and lighter.

TheEmeraldDream

Thanks everyone! your advice is greatly appreciated! I think I might just go get waxed (once I work up the nerve that is)

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmeraldDream View Post
    I normally just shave but I can always see the hairs still after a shave. Is waxing a good alternative if im going to use it on most of my body? or is there any other product out there that can make this easier and do a better job so I wont see the stubble of the hairs when im done?
    i read in your profile that your transgendered....
    if that is the case, you will probably want permanent hair remove at some point (though maybe not just now).... Adella (asayuu) is the go-to person in my opinion should you want any questions answered about laser hair removal. she is going through that right now as i understand it....

on the other hand, in my experience electrolysis is the best way to go; and probably the most painful as well. i had all my hair removed many years ago and never looked back. it was the very best investment i ever made.....
    but as they say, no pain, no gain.... lol

I am still getting fried myself. The hairs are still just on the surface of the hole, so you can see them under there. I would say waxing is good and cheap, but depending where it is and your $$ supply the laser is king for the queens :P

Shaving:

Do not shave first thing in the morning. The legs (and other body parts) tend to swell somewhat overnight. Therefore, it is better to shave later in the day.
    Do NOT use HOT water. This will cause the skin to 'swell' again, and make your "close shave" somewhat less than close once you've stepped out of the shower.
    It is best to use shave foam/cream and tepid water...rinsing the razor often! And use a SHARP razor!
    Personal experience says: shave mid-day/early afternoon for best results.

Depilatories:

When used as directed these do give a nice 'finish'...and the skin stays soft and smooth for weeks rather than days. They do sell creams specifically for "down there" (the bikini area). Downfall is these are harsh chemicals and can cause severe reactions. ALWAYS test a small area at least 24 hours before using on a large area!
    Personal experience says these are great..unless you have a reaction like I did and end up with chemical burn on both legs from hip to ankle so bad that all you can wear is a short nightie for several days! (Oddly enough I'd used the same brand with great success prior to the chemical burn)

I can't speak to the effectiveness of laser, electrolysis or waxing. Well, actually, I do have a friend who's undergoing laser treatments. I don't know how long it's supposed to take...or whatever...but...he's kind of "stubbly" all over now. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ayanna View Post
    Shaving:

Do not shave first thing in the morning. The legs (and other body parts) tend to swell somewhat overnight. Therefore, it is better to shave later in the day.
    Do NOT use HOT water. This will cause the skin to 'swell' again, and make your "close shave" somewhat less than close once you've stepped out of the shower.
    It is best to use shave foam/cream and tepid water...rinsing the razor often! And use a SHARP razor!
    Personal experience says: shave mid-day/early afternoon for best results.

Depilatories:

When used as directed these do give a nice 'finish'...and the skin stays soft and smooth for weeks rather than days. They do sell creams specifically for "down there" (the bikini area). Downfall is these are harsh chemicals and can cause severe reactions. ALWAYS test a small area at least 24 hours before using on a large area!
    Personal experience says these are great..unless you have a reaction like I did and end up with chemical burn on both legs from hip to ankle so bad that all you can wear is a short nightie for several days! (Oddly enough I'd used the same brand with great success prior to the chemical burn)

I can't speak to the effectiveness of laser, electrolysis or waxing. Well, actually, I do have a friend who's undergoing laser treatments. I don't know how long it's supposed to take...or whatever...but...he's kind of "stubbly" all over now. LOL
    I am sorry you had a bad reaction to the creams from my experience with depilatories, they over sell themselves I can use them and have several times with out to much reaction thankfully but hair is bit tough for them it never does me any better than what a good shave would do and grows back at about the same rate, on a positive they do work as a nice exfoliant for me. Then again I have uber tough body an facial hair it ruins a sixty dollar shaving head in a month and disposables are useless for me.

As a little side note it is best not to use them when you are having skin issues like I am right now as they will only make things worse.
    Last edited by EmilyAdella; 09-Sep-2012 at 03:56. Reason: double quote and clarity

When I wanted to get rid of my body/Private area hair, I got a thing of veet (basically same as nair) and it worked perfect for me, it got rid of all my very thick leg/private hair with no chemical burns for me, felt wonderful until it started to grow back which I wait bit then did it again.