Thread: use of creams and oils

Default use of creams and oils

I have started to wear to bed again and noticed my skin drying out. what is the difference in the baby oils vs the creams. What which one should i get?

Cherub

Oils don't do much for the skin, except maybe moisturize it. I don't use oils much at all. Besides, most diapers don't react well to oils. The diaper seams will weaken and come apart. Tape tabs wont stick if you get oils on them. I prefer to use creams as they work better and perform more than one function.

I've prefer Desitin creamy (NOT the original). Go to Desitin.com by clicking on this (Desitin.com).This site will help you to identify the various appearances of diaper rash,,,to include skin drying out.

I prefer Desitin creamy (in the blue) NOT the original (Purple label). The creamy smells better than the original. Anyhow, Desitin works in two ways 1) it will help heal the skin by restoring it to proper Ph. 2) It creates a water-proof barrier on the surface of the skin so that when you wear a diaper and wet or mess it, your skin stays protected. Desitin washes off very easy with warm water and soap.

When applying Desitin just apply it to the skin and rub it in till it is invisible (no more white cream visible on the surface of the skin).

Cool man and thanks for the advise. Would you still use baby powered along with the cream?

Oils are generally designed to moisturise and sooth your skin. If your skin is drying out this would be the most obvious option to turn to. It won't prevent it from drying out but it might help address the problem of it already being dry. It's also a good idea to go unpadded sometimes to let your skin breath. This is particularly true if you're a 24/7 wearer.

Creams are usually made to heal your skin and to protect it from the contents of your padding. You can get barrier creams, which form a protective layer between you and the icky stuff and you can get healing creams which treat conditions such as diaper rashes. You can also get combined creams. If you can get it Sudocrem is considered to be one of the best.

Powder absorbs excess moisture to reduce the risk of your skin getting a rash from being damp. You can use powder in combination with creams or oils but they can interfere with each other. Powder can also reduce friction in your padding which could be what is causing your skin to dry out.

Hope that helps

pamperchu

do not use oils or creams on disposable diapers, they will dissolve the glue and fall apart on you.

Your best bet is to use "sensitive" skin baby powder, I think its a little stronger then the normal stuff, because when I started using the sensitive skin one I stopped getting rashes as often.

Quote Originally Posted by pamperchu View Post
    do not use oils or creams on disposable diapers, they will dissolve the glue and fall apart on you.
    I think that might depend on the type of cream and the brand of diaper - I've never had this problem and I use cream all the time. It's a good point though so might be worth bearing in mind.

I always use zwitsal talc powder, never had any rashes, but I love the smell, it makes me feel litte

Quote Originally Posted by pamperchu View Post
    J&J baby lotion seems fine with Bellismo's.

I use baby oil after I shave the hair off down there, it makes it so that you don't get ingrown hairs or a rash. I have found that when I don't use powder the diaper sticks to your butt and it does not move with your body. As far as the baby oil goes, I get ekzema .