Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disabled toilets

Default Disabled toilets

When i am out and need to change my wet nappy i use disabled toilets when i can. They have more space and have disposal facilities for nappies/ incontinence pads. I have a key to use them. I have sometimes had some funny looks when i leave the toilets, as people seem to think they are only for the use of wheelchair users. This week i got verbally abused by the carer of a wheelchair user. I just looked embarrassed and ran away, not wanting to cause a scene. Perhaps i should have made my case, i will next time. Has this happened to you?

Tell them to mind their own business. You don't have to explain your disability.

I don't have any personal experience of this (as I don't use disabled toilets), but...

I'd just laugh heartily and tell the woman to f*** off! Or say that the toilets are for people who are genuinely disabled and going there with someone pretending to need a wheelchair doesn't count. Perhaps she'll be furious at the accusation and ask how you can possibly suggest that the wheelchair user is faking it. In which case you can ask her how she can possibly tell the nature of your situation.

But I think I have a bit of an issue with passive-aggression. Maybe it would be better to be more direct and tell her that she ought to be ashamed of herself for passing ignorant judgement on other people and that if she continues to engage in such antisocial behaviour you will ask the facility owners to ban her from the premises.

Honestly, this kind of thing really annoys me. It happens a lot with "blue badge" holders who can park their cars in disabled bays. People take it upon themselves to judge other people's ability from sight alone and accuse them of fraud, rather than admitting to themselves that they might have an unseen disability... Grrrr!

I've used them. With the ADA act in the US not only means for people in wheelchairs but also other handicaps. The toilets have a height standard and grab bars

which I find very useful to get up and down. I've never changed my diaper in one but would if I half to.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie72 View Post
    When i am out and need to change my wet nappy i use disabled toilets when i can. They have more space and have disposal facilities for nappies/ incontinence pads. I have a key to use them. I have sometimes had some funny looks when i leave the toilets, as people seem to think they are only for the use of wheelchair users. This week i got verbally abused by the carer of a wheelchair user. I just looked embarrassed and ran away, not wanting to cause a scene. Perhaps i should have made my case, i will next time. Has this happened to you?
    They shouldn't have done that. It's none of their business what you do in the bathroom, or why you would need a handicap stall. I would just tell them to mind their business.

disabled toilets have more room, and alot more private than normal toilets. If someone handicapped needs it, let emuse it, but if it ain't in use, why can't we all use it. handy haing sink and toilet all in one area too

I have a Radar key for disabled toilets and I always use them for changing when I get the chance. I've never been confronted about it but if I did, I'd just say that not all disabilities are visible and not all involve needing a wheelchair. Sometimes I need a stick to walk though.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Honestly, this kind of thing really annoys me. It happens a lot with "blue badge" holders who can park their cars in disabled bays. People take it upon themselves to judge other people's ability from sight alone and accuse them of fraud, rather than admitting to themselves that they might have an unseen disability... Grrrr!
    My brother has had a lot of trouble with this. My brother is perfectly abled, but his wife is in a wheelchair, and so they have a blue badge. When he parks at the local supermarket and jumps out of the car he's had a lot of people make comments. He normally shuts them up by just ignoring them and getting my sister-in-laws wheelchair out of the boot and going round to move her into it.

It's such a shame that people are still so ignorant of 'hidden disabilities'.