Thread: 1.5 Mbps is it fast enough for loading youtube videos?

pepsicolaisgreat

Default 1.5 Mbps is it fast enough for loading youtube videos?

Okay. I mentioned in another thread on here how slow my dsl is and was planning to upgrade to fiber optic. Well I can't stand the speed of my dsl anymore. I pay $70.00 a month for my internet and phone together. I hardly ever use my landline phone anymore so I plan to go ahead and ditch it and upgrade my dsl to the fiber optic internet.

They have a plan of 1.5Mbps and was wondering if you think youtube videos would load okay on it. Would it at least load a video without the buffering?

My current download speed is 0.10 Mbps. So the 1.5 Mbps has to be a huge improvement over my current speed right?

I'm hoping to upgrade sometime this month. I can always upgrade to the higher speed if need be later.

Megabytes per second, or megabits per second?

if it's "Megabits" then it would be DAMN slow. Megabytes per second, it's pretty good since that would be 120MB's uploaded per min, a whole GB for around 15 mins.

pamperchu

Yes, 1.5Mb/s will load youtube just fine. I use to run a server and use youtube on a 1.25Mb/s down 768Kb/s up.

Penguinhop

You might experience a bit of buffering. Although usually the only time I experience it is when I'm either on my ipod or when other people in my house are also streaming video and my internet ranges anywhere from 1.2 mb/s to around 3.5 mb/s. But I can also play demanding games like Arma 2 on multiplayer and even though my ping might be high, I've gotten pretty good playing at 15 fps. So you should have no problem and if it does buffer a bit, it will really only take maybe 10 seconds of waiting and you're good to go. ^_^

Why are the internet offerings so slow in your area? Where I live you can't get anything under 3.0Mbs and its not even worth it because for a few dollars more you can get the 10Mbs, they go all the way up to 30Mbs, 50Mbs, 108Mbs. Most areas of the country I thought would have DOCSIS 3.0 from their cable company by now, and the fiber providers usually compete.

Have you tried your cable company?

Penguinhop

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecars View Post
    Why are the internet offerings so slow in your area? Where I live you can't get anything under 3.0Mbs and its not even worth it because for a few dollars more you can get the 10Mbs, they go all the way up to 30Mbs, 50Mbs, 108Mbs. Most areas of the country I thought would have DOCSIS 3.0 from their cable company by now, and the fiber providers usually compete.

Have you tried your cable company?
    In my area we pay for 1-7 mbs and we never get above 3.33 and it can get as low as .6. This is mainly because the only company that is out here is Verizon because my dad did some research and apparently the government only allowed one company out here. Thus verizon has nothing to compete with so they can give us crappy service and the government destroys the point of capitalism. >_> We could get 10mbs, 15mbs or 20mbs from suddenlink, but they can't come to our location. Although this is just for me and other people probably just live in less developed areas.

1.5mbps is fast enough for low quality videos and if you want average quality videos or no buffing get 2mbps but just to let you know if you pay for 2 really you well only get something like 1.5 and if you pay for 1.5 you only well get like 1. internet is weird such as my dad pays for 5mbps because he needs the speed but he only gets around 2.5mbps.

1.5 Mbps is definitely an improvement over what are literally dial-up level speeds, but it might only really be enough for lower-quality or shorter videos, unless you are patient. If you're really upgrading to fiber, however, I don't understand why you'd only be getting 1.5 megabit download speeds. Are you sure you don't mean megabytes? (Mb = megabit, MB = megabyte. The more you know!)