Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp America?

Default Camp America?

I recieved a package in the post this morning about Camp America... that I apparently ordered

Anyways, I've been looking through the brochure and it looks a bit of a laugh.

Has anyone ever been who could give me a first person insight to what it's all about and if it's worth 500?

D.

I just looked at their web site. Interesting. One thing that I noticed under their FAQs:

Due to the nature of the programme there are some medical conditions that cannot be accepted. Camp America has 35 years experience of sending young people to summer camps. During this time we have developed considerable experience and expertise in determining which medical conditions are appropriate for the camp environment and which are not. At all times we seek to put the health and welfare of our participants and the children in their care first.
    I wonder where bedwetting or IC falls?

I very almost nearly did that this summer, except you have to be 18 to do it and I didn't turn 18 until after the time it starts...

It does sound good and everything though, spend time in America, gain some good CV worthy experience, and then travel around for a bit afterwards. It's just whether you can put up with American children for that long or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    I very almost nearly did that this summer, except you have to be 18 to do it and I didn't turn 18 until after the time it starts...

It's just whether you can put up with American children for that long or not.
    Is there something unique to American children that you might find off-putting? (as opposed to children from almost any other Tier 1 country)(oh, not a rant, just curious)

Quote Originally Posted by snapcrotch View Post
    Is there something unique to American children that you might find off-putting? (as opposed to children from almost any other Tier 1 country)(oh, not a rant, just curious)
    Lets see:

Disrespect for anything and everyone
    Slang
    caring only about themselves

these are all things that can affect anyone at any age but it seams our kids here in the states suffer from these things the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Lets see:

Slang

these are all things that can affect anyone at any age but it seams our kids here in the states suffer from these things the worst.
    I am sad because you're completley righ

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Lets see:

Slang

I think those problems exist in other places as badly as they do here. Australia, England, France, Canada; their young people exhibit those same (lack) of qualities. Maybe I'm overgeneralizing, but I don't think so.

Man, these are the same with kids everywhere. Personally, I find British children to be far more rude, arrogant and offensive than any American kids I have met, but this is just personal, I am sure you could ask a million people this question and receive a million different responses.

It's just easier to pick on Americans since they are the most powerful country in the world right now and have such hegemonic influence on the world over. Probably the same way the world felt about the UK 100 years ago.

Well said. I guess with great power comes great exposure of the derriere, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by snapcrotch View Post
    Tier 1 country?

Well American children would be off-putting because they're slightly alien, whereas if it was a British camp you'd know what you were getting. Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't!