Thread: Bonjour (as an Englishman attempting to speak French would say!)

Default Bonjour (as an Englishman attempting to speak French would say!)

Hi there,

Thought I'd best get on here and introduce myself before I start contributing on the many interesting threads I've come across.

So I'm Cheekymonkeys88 not really that cheeky and not much of a monkey either, it's just a screen name =P
    From the South Coast in the UK and I guess I'm 100% DL! I wear for fun. Nappies are comfortable and give me a sense of security and calmness I can't seem to get elsewhere. Simple as, don't see why the world needs to have such a problem with that but as they say "haters gonna hate".

I'm here to meet new people and make friends with other DL's, so encouraging to know I'm not alone!

For my day job I'm a Community Restoration Worker. I get employed by charities or local government, usually for a 3+-year contract at a time to help bring peace and restoration to disadvantaged communities that have fallen out, listening to needs and trying to organise the provision of services and amenities where needed. I spend a lot of time working with young people/gangs and O.A.P's.

Communities, and being part of community, are really important and the increasingly individualistic culture we find ourselves in worries me. I believe greater sense of community and belonging will solve most of the worlds' social and economic problems. As John Donne said, "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main."

Outside of that I really enjoy film and TV in general, Ice Hockey, Rugby, Jogging, Cycling, Historial Wars and my Xbox 360.

Anyways that's me, well done and thank you if you read this far. As you've also learnt about me, I'm good a writing essays! =)

Anything else, just ask! =D

Quote Originally Posted by cheekymonkeys88 View Post
    Hi there,

Thought I'd best get on here and introduce myself before I start contributing on the many interesting threads I've come across.

So I'm Cheekymonkeys88 not really that cheeky and not much of a monkey either, it's just a screen name =P
    From the South Coast in the UK and I guess I'm 100% DL! I wear for fun. Nappies are comfortable and give me a sense of security and calmness I can't seem to get elsewhere. Simple as, don't see why the world needs to have such a problem with that but as they say "haters gonna hate".

I'm here to meet new people and make friends with other DL's, so encouraging to know I'm not alone!

For my day job I'm a Community Restoration Worker. I get employed by charities or local government, usually for a 3+-year contract at a time to help bring peace and restoration to disadvantaged communities that have fallen out, listening to needs and trying to organise the provision of services and amenities where needed. I spend a lot of time working with young people/gangs and O.A.P's.

Communities, and being part of community, are really important and the increasingly individualistic culture we find ourselves in worries me. I believe greater sense of community and belonging will solve most of the worlds' social and economic problems. As John Donne said, "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main."

Outside of that I really enjoy film and TV in general, Ice Hockey, Rugby, Jogging, Cycling, Historial Wars and my Xbox 360.

Anyways that's me, well done and thank you if you read this far. As you've also learnt about me, I'm good a writing essays! =)

Hey there, wilkommen to das site (as an American pretending to try to speak German would say :P). Kind of curious, since you mentioned liking Historical wars, what wars do you find to be the most interesting? Or what are a couple of your favorites.

Heyy,

To be honest anything from the ancient Roman Empire right up until the Vietnam interests me, but areas of special interest at the moment I would say are the Napoleonic and American Civil Wars. Vast armies, flags and drums, grand uniforms, one-shot muskets/rifles and cannons. Bit of a geek and a wannabe period General I'm afriad =P

How about yourself?

YAY! Another Monkey!

I thought I was the only one for a while. hehe!

Anyway, Welcome to ADISC, CheekyMonkeys88. I must say, I have never heard of someone with the actual job of fixing broken neighborhoods. That sounds like a very fulfilling and rewarding career. How exactly does something like that work? Is it ever dangerous dealing with people in neighborhoods like that? You mention gangs and O.A.P.'s (whatever those are). I just can't imagine having a job like that. I wish there were more people investing in communities like that, though.

Speaking of communities, I agree; they are very important. And out of all the online communities I have stumbled across, ADISC is by far the best. It's not like any other diaper site I have ever found, and it is not like any other social networking site I have ever seen. It is a support community, but it is also just a fun place to hang out, meet friends, play games and talk about anything and everything. It really is a great place. And almost everyone here takes the sense of community very seriously. So I am so glad someone like you that realizes the importance of communities has joined us. I really hope you stick around and enjoy yourself here and if you ever have any questions or suggestions of how we could improve our community, feel free to share them.

Welcome to ADISC!

Cheekymonkey - Awesome introduction! and I think you have a super cool job. I fully agree with your ideas about community. I live in the American suburbs and often feel there 'is no community' here. People don't know each other and you have to drive to get anywhere.

I see you read and appreciated my "Diapers as Souvenir" post. I hope my ideas help your already excellent attitude. I so wish we didn't live on opposite sides of the Atlantic Ocean. It would be so cool to just sit down in a pub over a pint and talk with you.

So, welcome to ADISC. I look forward to hearing your insights.
    Last edited by Trevor; 31-Aug-2012 at 03:07. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate posts.

Hi there,

Hi welcome to ADISC.

Yay another Historical Wars fan I also love to study it but mostly from World War I to current conflict I also like every aspect of it. Oh yeah so what is your favorite film/TV shows? I enjoy almost all genre but top on my list is Action,Thriller,War,Comedy and for favorite films? I think it's too long to write it here. Oh as for TV shows I like Archer, 30 Rock, Burn Notice, Top Gear etc. Oh yeah not forget what kind you usually play in 360? I usually play FPS(COD and stuff like that) and Racing(Forza Motorsport!). Anyway welcome and enjoy ADISC.

Heyy,

To be honest anything from the ancient Roman Empire right up until the Vietnam interests me, but areas of special interest at the moment I would say are the Napoleonic and American Civil Wars. Vast armies, flags and drums, grand uniforms, one-shot muskets/rifles and cannons. Bit of a geek and a wannabe period General I'm afriad =P

How about yourself?
    Ah nice! The American Civil War is fairly interesting, certainly should be plenty there to look at (I know there is a bunch I've learned about it from outside the classroom, though Arizona has a terrible education system so yeah..xD). I like hearing (sometimes) about some of the wars pre-World War 1, in part as a non-fan of the tanks, cars, airplane, bombs, etc. etc. etc. stuff. One of the things I love about the Paradox Interactive forums (Swedish game maker if I recall correctly?) is some of the real-life history people go into when discussing issues with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by LilMonkeyAlex View Post
    YAY! Another Monkey!

I thought I was the only one for a while. hehe!

Anyway, Welcome to ADISC, CheekyMonkeys88. I must say, I have never heard of someone with the actual job of fixing broken neighborhoods. That sounds like a very fulfilling and rewarding career. How exactly does something like that work? Is it ever dangerous dealing with people in neighborhoods like that? You mention gangs and O.A.P.'s (whatever those are). I just can't imagine having a job like that. I wish there were more people investing in communities like that, though.

Speaking of communities, I agree; they are very important. And out of all the online communities I have stumbled across, ADISC is by far the best. It's not like any other diaper site I have ever found, and it is not like any other social networking site I have ever seen. It is a support community, but it is also just a fun place to hang out, meet friends, play games and talk about anything and everything. It really is a great place. And almost everyone here takes the sense of community very seriously. So I am so glad someone like you that realizes the importance of communities has joined us. I really hope you stick around and enjoy yourself here and if you ever have any questions or suggestions of how we could improve our community, feel free to share them.

Welcome to ADISC!
    Heyy, yep monkeys are epic, and thanks!

I do love my job but it doesn't pay too well, so you really have to want to do it, you can't do it just for the money!

Basically it involved the premis that everyone living in a community has needs, and making sure that everyone feels listened to and valued, and then enabling them to work together to come to a suitable compromise. I guess it's like mediation but with groups as opposed to individuals. Even people in gangs tend to be so because they have a need to belong and don't feel there's any other way to be heard to get their point across. (Although on the surface it can seem like mindless crime and violence) - please note I'm talking about local-level street crime, not high level organised crime.
    Most of the time people are okay because they recognise you are on their side and want to help (and they want to be helped), but it can get a little hairy on occasion though.

(O.A.P.'s is a generic english term to mean those over 65, retired, old people basically. Stands for Old Age Pensioner).

Thanks for the intro about this community, it's really encouraging to know! =)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld08 View Post
    Cheekymonkey - Awesome introduction! and I think you have a super cool job. I fully agree with your ideas about community. I live in the American suburbs and often feel there 'is no community' here. People don't know each other and you have to drive to get anywhere.

I see you read and appreciated my "Diapers as Souvenir" post. I hope my ideas help your already excellent attitude. I so wish we didn't live on opposite sides of the Atlantic Ocean. It would be so cool to just sit down in a pub over a pint and talk with you.

So, welcome to ADISC. I look forward to hearing your insights.
    Thanks!

Yeah that post was pretty epic! Have you had any training in reflective thinking/philosophy or does that come naturally?

At some point in my life I do plan to save up all my cash and tour the States (would love to witness and absorb all the different cultures and scenes you have there - the fact you can find practically every world landscape in one country amazes me). When that happens I'll give you the heads-up and we can go find the Cheers bar! *cliche cultural reference* =D

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    Hi welcome to ADISC.

Yay another Historical Wars fan I also love to study it but mostly from World War I to current conflict I also like every aspect of it. Oh yeah so what is your favorite film/TV shows? I enjoy almost all genre but top on my list is Action,Thriller,War,Comedy and for favorite films? I think it's too long to write it here. Oh as for TV shows I like Archer, 30 Rock, Burn Notice, Top Gear etc. Oh yeah not forget what kind you usually play in 360? I usually play FPS(COD and stuff like that) and Racing(Forza Motorsport!). Anyway welcome and enjoy ADISC.
    Thanks!

Too many TV shows to mention to be honest! Top Gear is great (don't really know the others =/) I like cartoons Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, dramas like NCIS, Alcatraz, Life on Mars, Blue Bloods, Chicago Code (bring it back!), Awake, Flashforward (bring it back!), Boardwalk Empire, Doctor Who, Casualty (UK version of ER), Waterloo Rd (about a UK dysfunctional high school). Documentaries about pretty much anything and reality TV shows like Hell's Kitchen (gotta love Ramsey's temper!). Films again pretty much anything!

I don't normally boast about my gaming abilities but I'm a pro at Starwars Battlefront... and a little bit obsessed tbh =) Arrogance aside, I also like sports games like NHL and Fifa, the LEGO franchise is pretty good and I love the Mass Effect series (still need to get 3 though =/). I'm more of a TPS (I'm a coward and like to see around the corners =P) but have palyed COD, think it's pretty good. Prefer the WW2 ones to MW and would love WW1 or Napolenonic editions!
    Last edited by cheekymonkeys88; 31-Aug-2012 at 01:51. Reason: Double posts

Thanks!

Too many TV shows to mention to be honest! Top Gear is great (don't really know the others =/) I like cartoons Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, dramas like NCIS, Alcatraz, Life on Mars, Blue Bloods, Chicago Code (bring it back!), Awake, Flashforward (bring it back!), Boardwalk Empire, Doctor Who, Casualty (UK version of ER), Waterloo Rd (about a UK dysfunctional high school). Documentaries about pretty much anything and reality TV shows like Hell's Kitchen (gotta love Ramsey's temper!). Films again pretty much anything!

I don't normally boast about my gaming abilities but I'm a pro at Starwars Battlefront... and a little bit obsessed tbh =) Arrogance aside, I also like sports games like NHL and Fifa, the LEGO franchise is pretty good and I love the Mass Effect series (still need to get 3 though =/). I'm more of a TPS (I'm a coward and like to see around the corners =P) but have palyed COD, think it's pretty good. Prefer the WW2 ones to MW and would love WW1 or Napolenonic editions!
    I also love cartoons The Simpsons,Family Guy,American Dad,The Cleveland Show,South Park etc. I also love documentaries one of my favorite is Apocalypse: The Second World War, I also like Hell's Kitchen I think Gordon Ramsey cursed more than sailor. Yeah I actually missed WW II games since it's become rare recently(Mostly now either future or fighting aliens). FPS WWI? I think won't be that interesting since you either you wait in the trench or storming enemy trench. But in Strategy yes that is interesting. Oh yeah if you interesting in WWII Strategy games I recommend R.U.S.E nice game with awesome tactics and authentic equipment.