Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello guys!

Default Hello guys!

Hi, i'm Angie. I'm pretty new here, although I've browsed the forums a bit in the past.

I've been incontinent most of my life, and have actually come to enjoy diapers despite having to wear them.

So I study computer science, which is one of my hobbies. Specifically evolutionary computation and artificial intelligence. I eventually want to get a PhD and become a professor at some university, but that's years away .

I hope to meet some new people here with similar interests. Hopefully it won't take me too long to get into the swing of things here.

Hey there Angie! Welcome to the site! There are TONS of programmers on this site so I'm sure you'll be right at home!
    What else do you like to do? Sports? Theater? Writing? Art?
    We want to get to know you

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Hi, i'm Angie. I'm pretty new here, although I've browsed the forums a bit in the past.

I've been incontinent most of my life, and have actually come to enjoy diapers despite having to wear them.

So I study computer science, which is one of my hobbies. Specifically evolutionary computation and artificial intelligence. I eventually want to get a PhD and become a professor at some university, but that's years away .

I hope to meet some new people here with similar interests. Hopefully it won't take me too long to get into the swing of things here.
    Hi Angie, Welcome to Adisc!

Looks like you are having no problem getting into the swing of things. Judging by your introduction, I can already gather that you take the time to look at the stickies at the top of the forum and even read them. That is the number one easiest way to get to know how to do things around here. Well... number two. I guess reading the rules would be number one. There is also some helpful content in the articles section.

But like I said, I am guessing you are already aware of most of that. I think it's great that you find enjoyment in your situation. Being IC must be tough, but taking whatever joy from it that you can make it at least easier to deal with. I want to wish you the best of luck on your education and career plans. A PhD and professor-ship may seem like a long ways away, but the years will pass before you know it. Trust me. I am still in college even though I am nearing my 10 year High School reunion. Mostly because, I lost focus on my goals and stopped reaching for them for a while. If I would have stuck with it right out of high school, I could probably be a professor by now.

Anyway. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy it here. Welcome to ADISC!

Hello there and welcome to the site. Personally couldn't imagine being IC, seems like it would be incredibly tough to deal with on a day-by-day let alone over years and years. At least you've been able to find some positive though. Primarily wanted to ask, what is evolutionary computation? Is it related to A.I., or calculating future evolution or something completely different/

Hey Angie!

More Computer Scientists! Yay!

I'm finishing my bachelor's degree this year (I've already completed all my CS courses, just have distribution now). In fact I took every CS course offered at my university.

AI is fascinating, as is evolutionary computation, I ind myself more vastly interested in theory of computation (discrete automata, quantum automata, turing machines, grammar, language construction, etc.). The second I took this course I enjoyed every moment, it was like a new puzzle was around every turn.

After that my next favourite thing is considered crazy to most CS people (Algorithm Analysis), I absolutely love everything about it. While it's the hardest, most painstakingly awful course I have ever taken in my life... I surprisingly enjoyed every moment of it. Especially things like 3SAT, NP vs P, etc.

It was also quite fun to learn how you *actually* find out the speed of an algorithm, and how to write better algorithms. Before, I thought finding the speed was really simple, but I do more math just figuring out the speed of one algorithm than I have done in my whole life prior to the original date! XD

I'm also heavily intrigued by graph theory, but I'll stop rambling on about Computer Science because... well I could honestly talk all day about it.

So Angie, what are some of your other hobbies? I'm a speedcuber (solving the Rubik's Cube - fast), and solve all kinds of different twisty puzzle, most commonly 3x3x3 which I have a personal record of 12.XXs on.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    Hello there and welcome to the site. Personally couldn't imagine being IC, seems like it would be incredibly tough to deal with on a day-by-day let alone over years and years. At least you've been able to find some positive though. Primarily wanted to ask, what is evolutionary computation? Is it related to A.I., or calculating future evolution or something completely different/
    Evolutionary computation is typically related to AI, while it's not actually an "intelligence" from areas that I have learned in it.

A Genetic Algorithm for example is an algorithm the behaves "genetically" it's genetic string adapts and mutates over time to try and solve a problem. But when it really comes down to it there is no intelligence here.

Genetic algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is certainly fascinating though!

Welcome to the site.

Also allow me to throw your name in for consideration as another member of the over worked and never paid ADISC tech support team. Don't worry that is just some of uncle Khaymen's back wood North Carolina humor ... maybe.

Welcome to ADISC! We have all kinds of CS people and engineers on here, so I'm sure you can find some common ground.

Is it bad that my work/study/hobbies are all the same too???

Also,

Specifically evolutionary computation
    I have never heard this term before. Thanks for sending me on a Google-spree.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobie View Post
    Evolutionary computation is typically related to AI, while it's not actually an "intelligence" from areas that I have learned in it.

A Genetic Algorithm for example is an algorithm the behaves "genetically" it's genetic string adapts and mutates over time to try and solve a problem. But when it really comes down to it there is no intelligence here.

Is there the "programming illiterate" version? xD So it is like a algorithm coded to adapt to something in attempt to solve a problem or?

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    Is there the "programming illiterate" version? xD So it is like a algorithm coded to adapt to something in attempt to solve a problem or?
    Think of it more like a program that is randomly changing a binary string, hoping that it guesses right.

That's very layman's termsesque, but is a basic idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobie View Post

That's a great explanation of it. What I do is combine the intelligence aspect (usually Neuron Networks) and then let that evolve for a while, when it is done, it has the intelligence to accomplish whatever task it is trained for (i.e. reading captchas or controlling a digital organism). Genetic algorithms are useful/fun for pretty much anything. Just this morning I evolved the U.S. Constitution in 1700 generations.

Some of my other hobbies are writing, listening to music, and also plenty of video games. Not really too much else that I can think of off the top of my head :P