Thread: Stepping out of the shadows

Default Stepping out of the shadows

Hello everyone,
    I've been lurking around this site for a while and I feel I should come out and introduce myself.

I am 20 years old and have always struggled with finding my place in this world, I have recently dropped out of university and have been recently been trying to find my feet, this has included me coming to terms with my LG side. I came here shortly afterwards and you seem to be a great bunch of people.

I've been unusually curious about nappies for as long as I can remember but only became aware of my desire for them and my regression when I was 15, but until recently my little personality was always a boy. I also have asperger's syndrome so I have often come across as immature and shy anyway.

I am an avid gamer, I play lots of online games, such as Smite, League of Legends and now Guild Wars 2. I also dabble in board and card games, which has included the Pokemon TCG and Dungeons and Dragons, but also includes more obscure games like Killer Bunnies and Fluxx, I really would like to convince some people to play 1000 Blank White Cards but have never gotten around to it.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and myself better.

Milkystar

Hi there Shadowfen!

You play a lot of games! Out of the online games you listed, which is your favorite?

I like Dungeons and Dragons too, but I remember when I first started to play, I could not understand how it worked! Do you learn over time?

Anyway, it is really nice to meet you!

Guild Wars 2 has to be my favourite by far, I just love the combat system, especially as an elementalist when I have so many cool abilities to chain together. The other games are great fun and I usually play those when in between stuff.

Dungeons and Dragons does have a very steep initial learning curve, but once you get used to all the complicated combat mechanics it starts making a lot more sense and you can really enjoy it. I guess you either have to have a real head for rules, like I do, or an experienced DM who knows how to teach the mechanics in some sort of tutorial fashion. It can also depend on which edition you are playing, I played a little of 3.5 before switching to 4th and loving it ever since.

Milkystar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfen View Post
    Guild Wars 2 has to be my favourite by far, I just love the combat system, especially as an elementalist when I have so many cool abilities to chain together. The other games are great fun and I usually play those when in between stuff.

Dungeons and Dragons does have a very steep initial learning curve, but once you get used to all the complicated combat mechanics it starts making a lot more sense and you can really enjoy it. I guess you either have to have a real head for rules, like I do, or an experienced DM who knows how to teach the mechanics in some sort of tutorial fashion. It can also depend on which edition you are playing, I played a little of 3.5 before switching to 4th and loving it ever since.
    Hello again! I apologize with my late reply, Shadowfen. Real life got the best of me.

Those games do sound like much fun! Guild Wars 2 appeals to me enough that I will most likely check it out, so thank you for introducing me!

What are the differences between 3.5 and 4th editions? Would you say that one is easier to learn than the other?
    Last edited by LilMonkeyAlex; 05-Sep-2012 at 09:43. Reason: Removed double post

Interesting what you think of guild wars. I don't play myself, not much of a gamer, but my friends who do play say if us nowhere near as good as the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfen View Post

First and foremost welcome to the site! Interesting opinion about the 3.5 and 4.0 systems, personally I will always prefer 3.5 because that's the system I learned to play on .

Quote Originally Posted by Milkystar View Post
    Hello again! I apologize with my late reply, Shadowfen. Real life got the best of me.

Those games do sound like much fun! Guild Wars 2 appeals to me enough that I will most likely check it out, so thank you for introducing me!

What are the differences between 3.5 and 4th editions? Would you say that one is easier to learn than the other?
    I would say that 4th edition focuses a lot more on playing a game within a world of your creation whereas 3.5 is more about simulating a world then having the players explore that world. I can't really give a fair opinion of 3.5 because I didn't play it for very long, but it looked a lot more free form in terms of combat since not all spells and abilities had perfectly clear descriptions, so the players and DMs could use them differently for different effects, whereas in 4th everything was clear cut, so everyone knew what everyone else (except the bad guys) could do, so most of the creativity was done through ability combos. As for ease of learning, I would say that 3.5 is easier on the players than the DMs due to the relative simplicity of characters (except for spellcasters) but monsters are created in almost the same manner so creating a whole roster of villians is harder, while 4th is easier on the DM than the player because monsters are a lot simpler whereas players wind up with a lot more on the character sheet, some of which can be quite intimidating at first, mostly the powers.

I never played the original GW as I was on WoW at the time so I cannot compare it to GW2, although I am aware the main criticism of it from old players is the oversimplification of the ablity system.
    Last edited by Trevor; 06-Sep-2012 at 03:49. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.