Thread: Tire Pressure

Default Tire Pressure

Might be a stupid question:
    I was filling my tires up with air today when I came across something strange. Both front tires are set to a max pressure of 35 PSI and the back tires are 44 PSI. What do I do make all tires equal pressure?(for even wear)or go to max with all the tires?

EDIT:
    I made a set pressure of 35 PSI for all tires
    Last edited by Hawkmon; 26-Aug-2012 at 08:22.

Normaly if you check the tire wall it will read something like 35-45 psi. I normaly fill them to half way between the recommended pressures (for the example above 40 psi) and have all tyres to the same pressure.

I would also recommend having all tyres at the same pressure; however, if you are towing a particularly heavy load or driving a laden ute, you might want to put a couple of extra psi in the back to compensate for this. And yes checking the tyre is a great idea too.

Forget what's on the tire. That's the MAXIMUM pressure recommended by the tire manufacturer. Optimum pressure for driving YOUR vehicle has to take into account weight of the vehicle, suspension and cargo capacity. There's a sticker or name plate inside the driver's door that gives you the recommended pressure. If its not there, its in the owners manual. If you've lost or tossed the owners manual, you can access or download one on line.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Forget what's on the tire. That's the MAXIMUM pressure recommended by the tire manufacturer. Optimum pressure for driving YOUR vehicle has to take into account weight of the vehicle, suspension and cargo capacity. There's a sticker or name plate inside the driver's door that gives you the recommended pressure. If its not there, its in the owners manual. If you've lost or tossed the owners manual, you can access or download one on line.
    This.

If inflating the tires above that, (Such as when carrying a heavy load/towing) be sure to fill it about 5 psi LESS than the maximum to take into account the air pressure increasing from expanding (hot air builds higher pressure).

I learned yrs ago go by the settings on the door post for the pressures on your vehicle. That way will insure max tire life and performance.

agreeing with Maxx & Co, and you may want to check what types of tyres are fitted and their condition. if in doubt, seek professional opinion; or just fit new ones.
    if you're involved in an incident, be it your fault or not, your tyre condition could determine your legal/financial culpability.

the tire engineers(all engineers) always give a 100% safety factor.

on pickup trucks you may have 35 in the front and 50 in the rear tires if carrying a heavy load.

the pressure you want to set is the pressure for the best wear pattern on the tire for the load.

i have run trucks with a load range C tires on the front and load range E on the back where empty i ran 35 psi on the front and 30 on the back tire but with a heave load i went to 35 front 50 back
    Tire code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Echoing what several others have said already: Find the sticker on your door jamb and inflate to whatever is specified on that sticker. In the case of my Honda Element, the spec is 32 PSI for the front, 34 PSI for the rear. My '78 Lincoln Continental is 29 PSI for optimum fuel economy, 26 PSI for optimum ride comfort (the sticker actually uses that phrasing, too!).

If somehow that sticker has gone missing (which strikes me as very unlikely given that the one in my '78 Continental looks brand new and is 100 percent stuck after 34 years), poke around the google to see what you can find. If you can't find anything, go visit a tire shop and get advice from them. Barring that, set it somewhere between 30-35 (unless the tire has a lower maximum) to get you to a place with a mechanic or the google.

Also, I am not a mechanic, so do not take that last paragraph as gospel truth, just an old rule-of-thumb.