Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is calling a Jewish person a "Jew" offensive?

Default Is calling a Jewish person a "Jew" offensive?

Yes, I know that a lot of people use the word "Jew" as an insult to random people, but that's not what I'm asking here. My question is if you called a Jewish person (in a respectful manner and tone) a Jew, if that is offensive. I never thought it was, since that's what they are. People would call me a "Christian," not a "Christian person." However, when I was watching community with my (atheist) college friend, I noticed that Annie, who is a Jewish person on the show, took offense to the term. I asked my friend why, and he acted like I just asked him why calling a black person the "N" word is offensive. Anyone care to share. If you are Jewish, could you please state so as I would like to especially hear from you

Here's the video clip. I do realize that "Jewy" would be offensive.

Umm I don't know about but when I'm talking in online I said Jewish but it seems the term Jew is not really offensive since I see documentaries that uses word Jew, But I don't know for sure.

it's the context in which it's said that would make it offensive. My best friend in real life is jewish and as I've said more then a few times before our group of extended friends is very diverse so if we do joke about each other it's stereotypical and racial comments. And sometimes we've taken it to far with our jewish friend but when we do, he speaks up and we stop.

though at times it's just fun and funny. Such as summer 2011, 6 of us go to play mini golf and it was called "Operation, defeat The Jew". Only since he won the last time they went.

Oddly enough there were never WW2 jokes when we played Risk, god I miss playing Risk.

Highly context-dependent. It's certainly not the equivalent of the 'n' word.

Looking at that clip, Chevy Chase is clearly trying to upset her. It's not the word, it's the way he applied it. I could use the word 'black' in the same offensive fashion

"John would know a thing or two about watermelon. Am I right Black?". I had to mangle that sentence to fit Chevy's dialogue, but you get the point.

Her response might have been 'Say the whole word' but what she really means is 'You're being a bigoted ass.'

It all depends on the person really. Plus the tone which was used, it could also very well be because a person doesn't simply wish to be known by their religious demonym but rather by their name. It might be more permissible to, say - ask if the person is Jewish rather than Jew. However Jew isn't comparable to the "n-word" in average use, unless you use it in a derogatory way.

It's usually good to make sure that the person would be comfortable with the word you use, know what they're comfortable with. But this is just the "in general" I'm talking about, and not the video.

Default Re: Is calling a Jewish person a "Jew" offensive?

Yeah, I realize it was bad context with the video, but when I was talking with my friend, he seemed super surprised that I didn't realize calling a Jewish person a Jew, just to show that it's their religion, not as a nickname, was offensive. He wouldn't explain. He's not a big fan of Christianity, so he likes to think I'm hypocritical, while I try not to be, but sometimes ignorance is my downfall; that's why I'm asking. This happened like 4, 5 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Yeah, I realize it was bad context with the video, but when I was talking with my friend, he seemed super surprised that I didn't realize calling a Jewish person a Jew, just to show that it's their religion, not as a nickname, was offensive. He wouldn't explain. He's not a big fan of Christianity, so he likes to think I'm hypocritical, while I try not to be, but sometimes ignorance is my downfall; that's why I'm asking. This happened like 4, 5 months ago.
    Fundamental disconnect on your part:

You weren't born "Christian", you became one. "Jewish" is not just a religion, it's an ethnicity, a tribal history, much the same as "Irish" or "Italian".
    Last edited by WBDaddy; 26-Aug-2012 at 22:39.

Well if it went along the lines of what a guy at my campus said "I fucking hate the Jews" then yes, but if you for example said, "Jackie Mason is a Jew" then no. It all depends on what context it is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Yes, I know that a lot of people use the word "Jew" as an insult to random people, but that's not what I'm asking here. My question is if you called a Jewish person (in a respectful manner and tone) a Jew, if that is offensive. I never thought it was, since that's what they are. People would call me a "Christian," not a "Christian person." However, when I was watching community with my (atheist) college friend, I noticed that Annie, who is a Jewish person on the show, took offense to the term. I asked my friend why, and he acted like I just asked him why calling a black person the "N" word is offensive. Anyone care to share. If you are Jewish, could you please state so as I would like to especially hear from you

Here's the video clip. I do realize that "Jewy" would be offensive.

The problem is, being Jewish is a case of religion, not race. Hitler saw it as a race, and his influence and ideals never faded
    Last edited by Trevor; 27-Aug-2012 at 03:13. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.