Thread: Jerry Nelson, Puppeteer for the Count, many other Muppets, dead.

Default Jerry Nelson, Puppeteer for the Count, many other Muppets, dead.

This is old news (as of two days ago), but Jerry Nelson, who was with the Henson/Muppet family since 1965, died Friday from complications related to his various cancers.

I'm a huge Muppet/Henson fan, and a great fan of Mr. Nelson's work. It's sad to see him go. He taught a lot of us how to count.

I heard about his death as well. I've been watching Sesame Street since the late 60's and I remember Count Count well. Back in the late 60's, Sesame Street was a new way to educate pre-school children, and especially the economically deprived.

He voiced Emmet Otter

This outtakes video is hilarious. There's a running "gag" where the actor's stay in character even while not shooting.

The man was a legend in the Muppet world... I learned to count too via Sesame Street and I admit- I hold Sesame Street in high regard as it was a part of my formative years and I only wish my stuffed Big Bird had survived the years but alas, he didn't. Plus, I think he rotated between myself and my sisters.

The Count is why I can count I guess... plus I do remember a song from a movie that was made by Sesame Street called Follow That Bird and there is a part of the song also sung by Waylon Jennings which has the Count counting the telephone poles. The song is, There Ain't No Road Too Long.

I think later I may watch Follow That Bird out of respect of Jerry Nelson...