Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neil Armstrong, August 5, 1930 - August 25, 2012

Default Neil Armstrong, August 5, 1930 - August 25, 2012

US astronaut Neil Armstrong dies, first man on Moon

US astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first man on the Moon, has died at the age of 82, US media report.

Earlier this month he had surgery to relieve blocked coronary arteries.

He set foot on the Moon on 20 July 1969, famously describing the event as "one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind".

Armstrong, along with three other astronauts, received the Congressional Gold Medal, the highest US civilian award, last November.

He was the commander of the Apollo 11 spacecraft. He and fellow astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin spent nearly three hours walking on the moon.
    The first man to walk on another celestial body no longer walks among us. He will be missed

I remember watching it live on TV when that happened. He will be missed by all americans who wittinessed it.

This is a blatant steal from Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, dies -, it fits:

"While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves," his family said.
    "For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."
    RIP Niel

When someone great like this dies, rather than mourn over the loss, celebrate the life that was, the accomplishments that were made.

That man made history. I respect and admire him for going where no one went before. Thank you for making this thread to honor and celebrate this great person.

What a legend, that man was one of the greats.

It took so much courage to step on the moon with out really knowing what it would fully be like.
    He will be missed. R.I.P.

I was 14 years late when this historic moment happened... wish I could witness it. My nana told me that she remembered it and it was very cool at the time even in Canada too (in Ontario, where my family lived back then).

RIP Neil.

It's a shame that Neil Armstrong was hounded a lot by the press and an insensitive public desperate to look at him. You could understand why he became elusive in order to get away from all that. What a shame that he dies now: it's an event in history never to be repeated again.