Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can catheter use for a month cause incontinence?

Pochi

Default can catheter use for a month cause incontinence?

Hi. Because of a recent surgery I've needed to be in a catheter for a month... Not as fun as I expected it does hurt.. Anyway its finally being taken out on Monday but I'm curious.. I've always wanted to wear 24 7 but never felt like having to deal with telling anyone that I just wear for comfort and security. Is there something that this one month of catheter use that could cause permanent incontinence? Specifically something I could kinda lie about and doctors can't detect even if this case doesn't happen I want a good excuse to need to wear 24/7.. Any help is appreciated

I can't really say on that. I had a bowel surgery many yrs ago. I had a catheter in at the time. I was in the hospital at the time. But I don't remember

if I was in diapers after it was removed. The way I was bandaged up I could have been. They would have cloth but I do remember the rubber sheet.

My mom might have put me in diapers for sleeping. That was 63 yrs ago and don't remember. I know it was a long recovery.

I would say that it would be a good idea to pursue.

Dude, lying it never a good idea o: if you get caught, it could be a 1000 times worse.
    If you wanna wear 24/7, there are many ways to achieve so, without telling anyone and without being discovered :3 you could choose a thin diaper for day use, and wear dark colored, loose pants and a long shirt. during the night, well, just wear whatever you want, since I assume nobody will be checking on you in the privacy of your room :3

I think it best to ask your Doctor.

1 What issues you might have.
    2 Will you have a leakage problem.
    3 will you bed wet.

He or she might say NO. But it not us to answer this question.

Having a catheter in for an extended amount of time will cause the bladder to temporally loose its ability to stretch. Meaning you will most likely have to go more often. It will also weaken the sphincter muscles (from being held open by the catheter) however this to is only temporary and your body will in a short time return to its normal ways. I have had many surgeries with catheters for extended periods and the only thing the catheter has done is left me with nasty UTI's.

isn't there a type of catheter that doesn't go straight inside the urethra but instead just kind of fits over the end of a person's.... organ?

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    isn't there a type of catheter that doesn't go straight inside the urethra but instead just kind of fits over the end of a person's.... organ?
    Yeah, they tried to use one of those on me - the "condom catheter" - when I had my heart surgery in May. I remember them putting that on me when I was being sedated pre-procedure, but when I woke up afterward they had the tube up there. Don't know why they switched.
    Last edited by Trevor; 29-Aug-2012 at 20:45. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    Yeah, they tried to use one of those on me - the "condom catheter" - when I had my heart surgery in May. I remember them putting that on me when I was being sedated pre-procedure, but when I woke up afterward they had the tube up there. Don't know why they switched.
    it seems to me like it would be easier and less painful to use.

this sounds like my area as I am an medic you may have some leakage due to the catheter being in place once its removed they might have you do Kringle exercises to strengthening the bladder muscles, Now I do know for a fact that prolonged Cather use can damage the sphincter due to calcification and lack of muscle tone the calcification will keep the sphincter open, and the over time long periods of time if you do not use muscles they loose the abilty to contract and lose tone
    here this is from Urinary catheters Medical Information
    these are just a list of possible complications and side effects
    Catheter that is blocked or that has a kink in it
    Catheter that is too small
    Bladder spasms
    Constipation
    The wrong balloon size
    Urinary tract infections

POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS

Complications of catheter use include:

Allergy or sensitivity to latex
    Bladder stones
    Blood infections (septicemia)
    Blood in the urine (hematuria)
    Kidney damage (usually only with long-term, indwelling catheter use)
    Urethral injury
    Urinary tract or kidney infections

Call your health care provider if you have:

Bladder spasms that do not go away
    Bleeding into or around the catheter
    Fever or chills
    Large amounts of urine leaking around the catheter
    Skin sores around a suprapubic catheter
    Stones or sediment in the urinary catheter or drainage bag
    Swelling of the urethra around the catheter
    Urine with a strong smell, or that is thick or cloudy
    Very little or no urine draining from the catheter and you are drinking enough fluids

If the catheter becomes clogged, painful, or infected it will need to be replaced immediately.

I think he meant to say Kegel exercises, not Kringle. Also the full site info for that post is at: Urinary catheters: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia It's always good to read everything you can if you have questions about medical issues, then talking to your doc.

Something I noticed was the first part was just a statement but the overall post was about what you can do to become incontinent.....

I would definitely suggest actually wearing 24/7 and just get over the embarrassment. It's not like you have to show "papers" for proof. If someone asks, you can just say "I need to". That can also mean, "I need to for comfort." It's open to interpretation.

As far as what you are really asking in the post, I would never wish anyone to become incon. Too many ppl have come here asking how to be incon - when they have no clue what's it's like and haven't even gone thru a full year committed to wearing 24/7 with NO cheating. If you're incon.. it's not like you really have that option anyway. It's not all fun an games and the baby-utopia dream would wear out and get old fast. If you've damaged yourself to get there, there's no turning back. There's a reason it's against the rules here to ask how to become incon. We don't condone doing damage to yourself and no one on this site should ever want to help you with that.